staying committed

hford

Hi ! I am only a few hours into this non-smoking day and I'm feeling a bit restless, angry, "bored" and a little on edge. I know these feelings will pass. I've been reading a lot of the forums today and one sticks out in particular - the one about excuses. I've attempted to quit smoking on and off for 10 years. That's a lot of years of trying and failing, but ultimately giving up. I'm sick of making excuses for going back to smoking. My minute by minute reminder is not letting those excuses get into my head and ruin my progress.

• Like 5

Hello hford welcome to quit train glad you came aboard. Have you introduced yourself to all. These are some great people here. All phases of quits and some good advise. If you are feeling restless visit the video section and start educating yourself on the addiction of nicotine. The toughest part is in the beginning are you going cold turkey? If so there are many here that also have gone that route.

• Like 2

H...your body is used to having poisions put in 20 plus times a day...

It's thrown in meyhem..what's going on ere !!!!

At the very beginning shouting NOPE all day was all I could muster..

Talk to yourself..tell your self..OK this could get a bit crazy..but it will pass..everything I feel will be temporary.

It's not called a roller coaster of a ride for nothing..but the beniefts are worth waiting for ..

• Like 1

Yes, I've gone through the intro forum and a few others as well. I have also been reading and watching videos. My main thought right now is... "If not now, when?!" Any time I get a craving, that is what I tell myself. It's been working so far... I can see myself starting up again and just living in smoke my whole life -  but that is not what I want for myself or my children. Easy to start, hard to quit. 

• Like 2

Yes, I've gone through the intro forum and a few others as well. I have also been reading and watching videos. My main thought right now is... "If not now, when?!" Any time I get a craving, that is what I tell myself. It's been working so far... I can see myself starting up again and just living in smoke my whole life -  but that is not what I want for myself or my children. Easy to start, hard to quit. 

"If not now, when?"  Exactly.  

June 12 is a perfect day to start a new life of freedom and break the old nicotine addiction cycle.

Welcome aboard hford and congratulations on deciding to take back your life.

• Like 2

hford, either write out a short jot-note list on paper or make a list in your cell phone of the reasons YOU want to quit. Something you can take out and look at whenever you are tempted to have just one. Smoking needs to be completely off the table for you to make it through successfully. You need something you can carry on you at all times, take out and read when you need to. Not only will it remind you why you are doing it, it will distract you from the thought of smoking for a minute or two. Long enough to let the worst of that craving go past. Also, it gives you something to do with your hands too.

Stay committed to NOPE, no matter what that voice of addiction is saying inside your head. It's the only way AND, it works 100% of the time :)

• Like 3

hford, either write out a shot jot-note list on paper or make a list in your cell phone of the reasons YOU want to quit. Something you can take out and look at whenever you are tempted to have just one. 

I made lists, notes, and collections of random ramblings in the early days of my quit.  When I was obsessing about cigarettes, I found writing it out helped me get my mindset straight.

Whatever works.

• Like 2

Yes today is as good a day as any to begin living a healthier life. I think the problem is to many people feel all the bad serious sh&* won't happen to them. I'll quit when the doctor tells me, I will quit when I can't breath. The problem is by the time the diagnosis comes it's kinda to late so don't wait now is a great time to not smoke.

• Like 2

I had a relapse, but am back at it. I have a journal that I am writing notes in. It has shown me what triggers I have and why I give in. If I'm not 100% committed, I will fail. I am now to the point where I AM 100% committed and will use mind over matter. I made a plan for today so I won't give in again. I do wish there was time travel so I could get over these first few days ;) 

• Like 2

I had a relapse, but am back at it. I have a journal that I am writing notes in. It has shown me what triggers I have and why I give in. If I'm not 100% committed, I will fail. I am now to the point where I AM 100% committed and will use mind over matter. I made a plan for today so I won't give in again. I do wish there was time travel so I could get over these first few days ;)

Sadly, the only way out is through...but you can do it!

• Like 3

I AM 100% committed and will use mind over matter.

^^^ This is the key to you finding freedom. 100% commitment to NOPE (Not One Puff Ever). Look at this first week as a celebration of sorts. Yes it's tough and you feel you're in a different world and nothing will ever be the same but IT WILL BE. That first week you will find ways to distract yourself. You'll make small changes in your routine that help avoid some triggers. Practice deep breathing when the craves hit and you get anxious. Drink more fluids than you normally do. Come here are read all you can. Study this addiction and learn what it really does for you (nothing). If you want it badly enough, you can do it just like others are doing it.

Please go to the Daily Nope page and join us in pledging your Nope - just for today. That's all we do. Take it one day at a time and in our early quit; even 1 hour at a time.

• Like 3

I know it is a struggle but if you want this really do you can!  Not a fan of the word relapse makes me think of a medical condition.  There is great advise here.

Learn by your mistake..take action ,so it doesn't happen again...

You have to fight...winning all the battles...so in the end you sin your war..

Taking the daily pledge as soon as you can..will start the foundations for your daily fight..

You can do it...we ALL say you can x

• Like 1

I watched a you tube video talking about the Allan Carr book that I've already read before... Watching the video, however, provided more motivation for me. I'm actually excited about being a nonsmoker. I think I will continue to watch videos for a while!

• Like 1

We never know, individually, what will "tweak" our interest as we read or watch videos about this addiction but when something does catch YOUR interest; stay with it! Believe in it and live it. Whatever helps you to make sense of this addiction will do wonders for your quit. Once you truly understand that smoking does NOTHING for you, quitting will be much easier because you will know you are now on the road to freedom!

Hi help needed..so glad you jumped on the train...

Spend time reading all you can here...there is tons of great info..

Do some deep breathing....day one can be tough..but you can do it.

Go to our daily pledge..and say NOPE..not one puff ever..it does make you stronger ...to fight...

Stay close here..post post post..let us know how it going...

Let's get this job done.!!!!!

I had a relapse after a week or so, I quit on 1 May, went on holiday and had about 6 cigarettes in the week, told myself i didn't care because i was on 3 -4 packs a day. Felt very guilty, but didn't fall back on it. Best thing i did was not care about my relapse, so what! move on and continue. No need for extra stress. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Keep climbing...never give up giving up...

This is your life we are talking about..people are dying...don't become just another number to the

Tobacco Industry...

People often think they don't have a voice as an individual when it comes to big business and government. Cutting off the support your cigarette consumption gives to Big Tobacco is a loud voice that each one of has the option to use or not. When we quit, we stop putting our hard earned money into the pockets of those that don't care that they're killing us with their products. Stand up and be counted. Speak up loudly to Big Tobacco and tell them "I'm done with you!!" Quit smoking for good!!

In about 4 1/2 months, I have refused to give them over $2,000.00 of my hard earned after-tax dollars. In my mind, I'm giving them the middle finger - lol. Look at all the dollars saved by all the other long term quitters on this site. That's money Big Tobacco is no longer getting and that's just fine by me! (end rant :) )

• Like 1