First One of the Day

georgen

The first smoke in the morning is the one that is proving extremely strong. I usually smoke very soon after waking up.

Is anyone else like this ? If so, how do you get round it, fight it or whatever ?

The nico monster is calling to you ,it's been starved while you have slept..

Try changing your morning routine all together..this is what I did..

Have fruit juice..if always had coffee and a cig..

Soon enough the new routine will become the norm....yes you have to fight this little devil..

Your stronger than you think..and much stronger than him...

Go and do our pledge..it will strengthen your quit for today ..

• Like 1

Try changing your morning routine all together..this is what I did..

Same here.  I started waking up earlier to get a workout in first thing in the morning.  Having a new routine in the morning kept my mind and body occupied and reduced those first-of-the-day cravings.

• Like 2

Yes, that first one was always important to get your day going. I just couldn't give up my morning coffee so what I did was had my morning shower right away as soon as I got out of bed rather than after my "coffee & smoke". I found that helped a little. Shower woke me up and gave me time to get over that morning crave.

• Like 2

Sarge's bane was driving.

They keys simply wouldn't fit in the ignition without a smoke in the mouth, right?

He sucked on an empty e-cig for a few weeks while driving.

Believe it or not, sucking air helped. It was just having something in the mouth and hands. That familiar feeling and habit.

Easy Peasy

• Like 1

I too changed up my morning routine. I started to shower straight away rather then my usual tea and cig option. Then I'd opt for radio and cleaning the kitchen rather then sitting in front of the tv and smoking. I found I needed a complete change! Weirdly, I still wipe down all the kitchen surfaces every morning now I think of it, over 3 years on :) 

I also had a straw which I sucked air through when the craves got strong (for the car mainly).

Hope that helps. It's all about creating a new set of better habits and gradually the old reminders simply die off.

x

• Like 3

Change your morning routine even a slight change helps the brain learn the new rhythm. I thought that would be the worst but now it is not even a thought in the morning. That in itself is amazing.

• Like 4

Mmmmmmmmmm... I loved me the first one of the day.  Rated right up there with the one after eating or even the one after Buggery.

They were all hard for me to give up.  But I did.  I went knuckle down (no pun intended) and just said nope.

It gets easier everyday.  You get stronger.... it gets weaker

Keep on keepin on.

• Like 2

As much as I didn't want to, I changed my routine like all said above.  Instead of having coffee and a smoke first thing, I take a shower.  I take a long one and just relax...then..i put my jammies back on and watch tv for a half hour to an hour with some coffee before i have to get the rest of the way ready for work :)  Whatever you do, change your routine and it will help tremendously! 

• Like 3

Change your morning routine even a slight change helps the brain learn the new rhythm. I thought that would be the worst but now it is not even a thought in the morning. That in itself is amazing.

Now that you mention it Dee; I'm like that too now! I don't even think cigarette when I wake up anymore :)  Nice isn't it?

• Like 1

I didnt change my routine, **** the police; i just didnt have that cig and thats it. But yeah man first cig in the morning was the best one. As far as i can understand it, there will be cigarretes that will be missed some of them for sure. You have to accept your resolution. Youre not smoking anymore, stay solid and dont put so much thought into it.

• Like 1

I started off changing my routine at first.. but the more I learned about this addiction the more I realized that the sooner I faced a "first" head on...the quicker I got over it.  "first" coffee, "first" drive in the car, "first" meal...it just got easier and easier each time I did it.  Alcohol I was still cautious about for a while because in the past I ruined quits with it... so,  I avoided alcohol for a while.  I avoided gambling for 4 years!!  haha...should have stayed away from that though.

• Like 1

Whether you consciously decide to change your schedule or not...When you quit smoking, your schedule will change.  For the nicotine addict still feeding the beast, smoking and the rituals involved creep into most every facet of your life.  This consumes time and mental energy.  You remove an activity that dominates your day-to-day living and some degree of change is unavoidable.

It wasn't all laughs and giggles along the way, but I'm thankful that my comfort zone was disrupted and I got out of the rut I was in.

• Like 1

Yes, that first one was always important to get your day going. I just couldn't give up my morning coffee so what I did was had my morning shower right away as soon as I got out of bed rather than after my "coffee & smoke". I found that helped a little. Shower woke me up and gave me time to get over that morning crave.

I changed my routine, used to get up, coffee, sit outside, 4 cigarettes, shower and work, now its up, quick juice, shower and off to work. No sitting down outside. 

my hardest part is say having a drink waiting for dinner to cook, that was my smoking time, would chain through 10-15 cigs in that period, now i just resort to reading this forum!!!! 

• Like 1

I didn't know how to be a a adult without my crutch..so for me it meant a whole different life style..

The new soon became the norm...now I wouldn't change a thing..I love being smoke free..

Besides my 2 kids..it's up there as the most wonderful thing I have ever done..x

i know this post is old, but wanted to weigh in on this since this morning was my first morning without a cigarette since i quit this go around. showering first before eating and every thing else has really helped me a lot! i used to do my morning routine, smoke, eat, then smoke, then shower.

• Like 2

Sometimes it's just those little adjustments that we can make to our routine that can make a big difference. Especially that morning routine as in my case, that first cig of the day was the one I least wanted to give up. Funny cuz now I don't even think about having a cigarette when I wake up. 

I busted this morning & had only one cigarette. It made me feel sooo dizzy!! Confirmed just how powerful this stuff is that i am putting into body!

I felt rotten for having one. I dont want this to happen again. I have not had one since...I don't want to...I want success this time.

The weather is lousy today. Cold windy rainy and will be tomorrow too. So I've cozied myself up in my unit for a couple of days and pampering myself. Burning in my little vapouriser, pure lavender oil. Doing 'dry skin brushing' and drinking fresh ginger teas, lots of water...all helps to detox & get rid of nicotine. Also using my circulation booster. Lots of gum too. I can feel the pangs of withdrawal

Dont go upsetting yourself that you had one cigarette, you have done that now, move on. 

I had a few after i tried to quit during the first couple of weeks. Havent had one for nearly a month now. At the end of the day its up to you, only you can decide if you want to quit or not. Just make sure that one doesn't lead to another one. 

• Like 2

Dont go upsetting yourself that you had one cigarette, you have done that now, move on. 

I had a few after i tried to quit during the first couple of weeks. Havent had one for nearly a month now. At the end of the day its up to you, only you can decide if you want to quit or not. Just make sure that one doesn't lead to another one.

Well done buddy..knew you could do it...keep going !!!

I busted this morning & had only one cigarette. It made me feel sooo dizzy!! Confirmed just how powerful this stuff is that i am putting into body!

I felt rotten for having one. I dont want this to happen again. I have not had one since...I don't want to...I want success this time.

The weather is lousy today. Cold windy rainy and will be tomorrow too. So I've cozied myself up in my unit for a couple of days and pampering myself. Burning in my little vapouriser, pure lavender oil. Doing 'dry skin brushing' and drinking fresh ginger teas, lots of water...all helps to detox & get rid of nicotine. Also using my circulation booster. Lots of gum too. I can feel the pangs of withdrawal

The number of people who relapse outweighs the number of people who don't relapse at least once I suspect. A few critical things to realize though:

1. Relapse isn't accidental. It's a choice you and only you make.

2. Understanding how crappy relapsing made you feel after the fact compared to how much you thought you needed that "just one" before the fact is critical! Keep that understanding fresh in your mind as you move forward so you can draw on it next time.

3. Having a better plan for your next quit. Think about what went wrong the last time. Know what was missing in that last quit and make sure you plan to have that missing ingredient in your pantry on your next quit.

4. Quit again as soon as you have pondered numbers 1,2 & 3!

Never quit trying to quit. Read the posts on this or any other quit smoking board and you will see tons of people who now have multi-year quits going. Many of them too relapsed early on. Some multiple times but they learned from their mistakes, pulled themselves up and tried again until they achieved success. We can all do that. It's not something that is just reserved for "others". In the end, it's up to YOU!