Hello

sezwho

Hello fellow quitters,

I smoked my last cigarette 18th March, so over 2 months now. I should feel more proud of myself than I do really. For a year or so before I quit I had failed on the first 3 days so many times I believed I was imprisoned in the addiction for life, but here I am. 

It's been a slow, time dilated, not too easy 2 months but I've never thought I would actually smoke one in that time, even when it was nagging me a lot. That is, until the last week...

The last week there has been about 3 occasions when I felt like I might actually smoke one. You know that thing that happens where the nicotine talk in your head starts making logical sense and smoking actually seems like a good idea? 

Anyway, I don't want that to happen so I thought I better find some quit buddies to keep me motivated and sane.

Cigarettes stink right? I wouldn't even like one if I did smoke one, right? I'd feel so bad and tricked by nicotine if I did smoke one, right? I don't need them for any reason at all, right? They won't make me feel less depressed, or less stressed, or make my life better in any way, right?. I never even liked them and they are just a nasty dirty little addiction, right?

I already feel better having typed this and saying it out loud makes the nicotine lies sound as crazy as they are. But if anyone wanted to give me a bit of a pep talk and keep me safe for a while longer, I'd really appreciate the help and support right now. 

Looking forward to meeting you...

Sez

• Like 5

Hi Sez..

Welcome to this fabulous place...

You have already got a good quit going ,congrats on your two months...you are right in saying smoking never solved or fixed anything..in fact we can solve our problems much better,when we are not dealing with nicotine withdrawals too..

There is tone of information here to help you on your journey...

Take our daily pledge...it's a promise to yourself ,just for that day you won't take one puff...

The days and weeks soon mount to months...

We do have fun here too..quitting is not all doom and gloom...

Looking forward to getting to know you better...

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Sez and congratulations on your first two months of freedom.

You've faced down your addiction and didn't waver in your commitment to stay smokefree.  You have a few repetitions under your belt now and your quit is stronger for it.  With each successful resistance to cigarettes, you are reprogramming your brain.  It only gets easier from here.

Enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

Hi Sezwho! You pretty much covered all the logical points in your introduction thread. Yes, smoking is an addiction so that little voice in your head keeps trying to lure you back to feeding it That dose of nicotine that is so desires. Why would you do that? After 2 months, nicotine is well out of your body so it makes no sense in any way that putting it back into your body would be a good thing. Of course not but, that's the nature of any addiction. It's there in the back of you mind. The only way to quiet that voice for good is to deny it what it wants when it asks you for it. Every time you deny the nicodemon, it gets weaker and you get stronger. Eventually the nicodemon is destroyed and you have complete control.

Look around this site at all the members who have multiple year quits. It is very possible to quit permanently and these people believe so much in helping others, they stick around for years guiding others through their early quit days. Stick around here and participate in our discussions. Read as many posts as you can and have a look at the videos available. Knowledge about this addiction is important. Learn all you can.

You have a substantial quit going there. Stay with it and you will only find it easier and easier from here on. Strengthen your own quit and help the newbie that are finding their own way. Share your valuable experience with them. It's a great way to ensure your own ongoing quit!

• Like 4

Welcome, Sez!  So glad you found us.  Pep talks are our specialty.  Two months is fabulous, but now the shiny new has worn off your quit and it is just not exciting anymore. Never smokers in your life really think you should be over it already, but you're not.  And it will take awhile longer.  But you should celebrate your success each and every day.  Keep cheering for you and we will join you!

• Like 3

hey now,

I just popped in to see YOU.

Please, learn all you can about your (and our) addiction.

Addiction has no mercy.  It Just IS.

I am SO happy to have laid it aside.

It was a serious decision to say,  NO.

YOU can say NO.  It can be done.

Love to you and to everyone here.

Life is fabulous w/out addiction.

Freedom Freedom Freedom.

Love,

S

• Like 2

Thank you Doreensfree, Beacon, Boo, Reciprocity, Nancy and Sazerac.

I’m still on the quit wagon and feeling much stronger since getting pepped up by all this positive talk.

Nicotine’s influence is so sinister. It whispers to you from a dark hiding place in the back of your mind, and affects you by almost unconscious suggestion. When you bring it out of the dark and say it aloud, it sounds as crazy as it is.

If I needed to find a way to avoid a mild craving that happens for 10 minutes every few days, the solution is definitely not going to be - put some nicotine into your body.

Because that would be as silly as avoiding a mild infrequent craving by exchanging it for a strong craving that nagged you every hour, and started screaming at you after 4 hours.

And then it would take me 2 months and 18 days to get back to this wonderful mild infrequent craving I’ve worked so hard to achieve.

Next time it happens I’m going to enjoy it for what it actually is – a milestone along the Road to Freedom.

You all helped me remember what a lovely journey it is.

• Like 3

That's the attitude sez!!

Yes, embrace those mild urges that you have worked so hard to get to be having because, they used to be worse and in future, they will be even weaker. It's all part of the process we go through the get to be multi-year quitters. And yes, wouldn't it be horrible to have to go back to the start again and do it all over again? I think about that often which only strengthens my resolve.

Stick around here and join us on our ride to freedom :)

• Like 1

Welcome Sez you are off to a great start. Just keep reminding yourself I don't smoke. I am a non-smoker I don't want to smell or cough or whatever you need to hear. I found coming to post read and visit throughout the day keeps the determination on the front burner. Time makes the monster visits easier to handle. LOL

• Like 2

Welcome Sez!   It's normal to have those thoughts, urges.  As time goes on that will happen less and less as long as you don't smoke.  If you stop feeding the monster it will die.  Keep moving forward.  You're doing wonderfully!!