Hello

georgen

My name is George. I have been smoking on and off for 40 years. I did stop smoking for 5 years, but started again when my mother died.

I smoke secretly, as my wife and family don't know I started again.

I have a number of health problems, none of them directly related to smoking, but it does play a part in slowing down healing and preventing me from healing completely.  I have knee problems and if I don't stop smoking and reinjure myself, I could wind up on crutches permanently . I also have bad tendonitis in one elbow and the lack of blood flow due to smoking means that this is not getting better. If that remains the case, I wouldn't be able to use crutches and could wind up in a chair or on a frame.

I have overcome other addictions earlier in life, but have never done anything successfully without group support.

I don't feel able to quit alone and keep putting off my quit.

So, here I am.

• Like 5

Welcome to the Quit Train georgen :) You have made the right decision to quit smoking and from the sounds of your situation, there is no choice really - you MUST quit smoking. One of our members here (Doreen) will I'm sure have some information for you on how smoking can negatively effect your circulation. It's a real threat, not just cancer and what not.

Having a good support group is vital. I found that out myself just by joining this one. You won't find a better group to support you through your quit but of course, YOU are the main attraction here and will have to do the heavy lifting yourself. Just commit to getting this done, do the hard work and we will support you and cheer you on :) Oh and georgen, your family knows you're smoking. I would bet on it. You can try but it's virtually impossible to mask that smell. Think about maybe including them in the support effort. I'm sure they would love to. Looking forward to sharing your journey to freedom!

• Like 4

Hi George...

So glad you found us..

Smoking can damage yoiur health in ways you hadn,t thought of...

I was about to have my feet amputated..all the while just thinking I nhad good lungs..soooo

Find yourself a nice window seat,buckle up..read all you can here..

Stay close to the board..any questions... ask away...

Take the daily pledge ,its a promise to yourself ,that in the next 24 hrs..you won't stick anything in your mouth and set fire to it..

You can do it.?

• Like 3

Hello George.

It sounds like your ready to break the cycle.  Good call.  You've found your support system here, the Quit Train is in your corner.

Quitting smoking is a simple process.  Simply commit to never sticking anything in your mouth and lighting it on fire and you're good to go.

Congratulations on taking the first step towards freedom.

• Like 1

By jesus, this is a lot of support. Thank you all very much for such a warm welcome. I am not alone with this.

There is a lot to read here. Any tips on where to start ?

I can see that I can use my brain to rationalise not smoking in the same way I rationalise smoking, but is there a nugget apart from NOPE that I can use ?  maybe I need to write out a list of what smoking has cost me and not just money.

Saying "Never again" won't work for me, but doing it one day at a  time has worked for other things, so why not this ?

• Like 1

Where do you start.!!!!

Take smoking off the table ..no matter what going on in your life ..

Read Allen Carr The Easy Way...a great read...and you can read it online..

Take our daily pledge..it's a promise to yourself ,you won't smoke in the next 24 hours..

We quit one day at a time...

NOPE is for the moment. Say it a thousand times a day at first. Also rewards. Make it an hour then get a sandwich. Make it an afternoon and buy a magazine on way home. Something small you normally wouldn't buy. Treat yourself for making it a day. A bath. A beer, but careful with alcohol. Maybe wait a week for that 1 beer. But point is a small token for the work. Cause nobody will know how hard it was but you and you have to treat yourself.

NOPE

• Like 3

Hi Georgen,

WELCOME!  You should already be so proud that you have quit (even for a second or 100th time).  We have all been in your shoes and man it's not always an easy ride, but it's a great one!  I highly recommend NOPE each day (where you post NOPE - Not One Puff Ever and dedicate that day to not smoking).  Before you know it, you are almost five months smoke free and forgot you were a smoker....how crazy is that?  I also stuck on this website multiple times a day, stalking and reading all I could.  It was the place I came too when urges hit or I was bored and wanted to run out for a quick smoke.

KEEP AT IT and don't give up.  Nothing and I mean NOTHING is worth a cigarette.  

Enjoy the ride my friend!

• Like 2

Georgen you can start near the top of this page where all the "pinned" Posts are (look for the Green icon). "10 effective ways to use this forum ......" is a good starting point. Happy reading :)

• Like 1

How do you "do" the Pledge ? Do you go to the website and write something, or do you just NOPE to yourself first thing, or what ?

Ok George ...Go to the main page here on the quit train...

You will see as you scroll down .The daily NOPE thread...

This is where you pledge every day...

Let me know if you have difficulty finding it ..

• Like 2

Not good. I wake up with the best of intentions every day, but fall at the first fence. It is that first one or two that do me in.

But, over the past few days, I have realised something : Cigarettes are not working for me any more. I don't get that hit and think to myself "WTF am I doing ?"

• Like 1

George..

Are you reading and watching all the videos here ??????

You have to fight the beast..its the only way to get past the early morning crave..

Of course you want to smoke..your a addict..but you have to fight...

Yes it will be uncomfortable for a while..but it will get easier...

Take smoking off the table..this means..do anything..shout..punch pillows.scream NOPE..ect..just don't smoke..

Disgust with cigarettes and being fed up with the futility of smoking worked for me.  I have a greater appreciation for the other benefits of quitting now, but the realization that I was not in control of my own life was the real catalyst for my quit.

But, over the past few days, I have realised something : Cigarettes are not working for me any more. I don't get that hit and think to myself "WTF am I doing ?"

They never worked for you.  Smokers work for the cigarette not the other way around.  Good news though: you can break the cycle of smoking slavery right now by committing to never smoke another.

• Like 2

You have to fight tooth and nail for that first week then it gets easier. It is very easy after the first cig of the day to say ok I am done. The trick is not to give in to the first cig of the day. If you don't have them you can't smoke one. Just my two cents and trying to be helpful.

• Like 2