Nicotine Patches

Hi, 

Anyone else used the patches to quit. I have been using them for 3 weeks now, those of you who have been seeing my comments will know that I have had a few cigarettes since I quit, but my last slip up was several days ago now. I decided to use the patches and started with the highest one, i think they call it the 21mg. They have been great and today i never thought of smokeing. Tomorrow I am due to start on the lower dose of 14MG. I am just wondering if i am reducing too soon or should i keep with the higher strength for another week or so. 

I know many of you prefer the cold turkey method, and I understand why, but ultimately we all have the same goal and thats to be rid of the dam smokes and nicotine. When i joined this forum i was tempted to go cold turkey but without the patches and my few slip ups I would be back to 3 packets a day by now. 

Any advice form all you amazing people is truly appreciated.

Jules

• Like 3

Didn't use the patches,but some folks have..

As long as you follow the instructions correctly.. The main thing is to end up nicotine free..

All roads lead to Rome Jules..you have to find your own route..as long as you get there..

Your route may be different to mine..but that's OK...

Glad your here...you can do this...you just have to want to quit..more than you want to smoke...

• Like 1

From what I have noticed through other patch users and their posts is that they go through a withdrawal every time they step down.

I would follow the directions because no matter what when you step down you are going to go through a withdrawal in some form. Just prepare yourself for it with tools (candy, water, cranberry juice, access to the Train, etc.)

No way to quit is the wrong way :) you can do it!

• Like 2

No matter what you use to quit smoking, in the end you will always have to face the turkey. From my personal experience and I've done it all. It is far better to just rip the bandaid off and just quit. Focusing on quitting nicotine the drug is the key to quitting smoking.

Always remember whatever your choice the QTrain is here to support you.

• Like 2

Lots of people use patches. I would follow either the instructions on the pack of patches or your doctor's advice in terms of when to do the step downs. I started out day 1 & 2 using a 21 mg patch then forgot to put one on day 3 after my morning shower. I didn't feel a lot different from when I was wearing the patch so I just decided to go C.T. at that point. Get the nicotine out of my body right away instead of having to worry about that later.

I can't say if that was the right way to go or not. It has worked for me but it also wasn't easy so - do what every you think is right for YOU. As you said, quitting smoking is our common goal and any way we can get there is "the right way" :)

• Like 5

I never could have quit smoking without patches. They have been a tremendous help. I just stepped down to the 14mg. Felt a little hiccup, but nothing serious.

I know a lot of folks are hard core CT. But that does not work for everyone. Exit High Horse.

• Like 4

This is my 3rd day on the 14. I did feel a difference, not to horrible though, but I did feel the pinch. I have 9 left and plan on using all of them.

My doctor would have a cow if I didn't. And I want to. I want to do everything I can  to make sure this quit sticks.

• Like 2

(1) If you had "slip ups", then you weren't "quit". No way. No how.

(2) They weren't "slip ups". You, quite intentionally, knowingly, and willingly lit a cigarette and smoked it. No accident. No "slip".

(3) Patches? Why quit twice? First you have to quit smoking (which you didn't do) and then you have to quit the patches.

Why. Quit. Twice?

(4) Your quit date is wrong. It's the date you smoked your last cigarette.

Easy Peasy

• Like 2

I used the Patches when I traveled or when I was where I wasn't able to smoke so can't really add much for me they were just a fill and 7mg was enough same with Nicorette just used it when smoking a cigarette wasn't an option. for me. Have you tried Chantix? That worked great for me.

Used patches once. Didn't last long. Smoked a few more years. Quit cold turkey. 4 going on five years in September. Do what you will. Just get off then sooner than they say. Seen chew users stay on nicotine replacement for years dabbing back and forth.

• Like 1

Easy Peasy,

Agree with you completely, I had slip ups so I was not quit, I cut down considerably. I want to be off the cigarettes, 100%. However I don't care about my slip ups and I don't feel bad and I won't get upset with myself. Technically my last cigarette was around 10 days ago, I think, its been a while. However I prefer not to focus on dates, hours, minutes etc.. The length of time doesn't bother me, its about being healthier and feeling better which after the last three and a bit weeks, I feel fantastic. Thats the goal. 

That being said I do plan to have no further slips. Moving from the 21 to 14 patch was a real pain on the first day but today is second day and it was easier. therefore by applying this logic, 14 to 7 will be another little challenge and 7 to 0 the same, rather than going through 3 days of hell.

Jules

• Like 2

I quit smoking with the patches...over 4 months now :)  I followed the patch instructions to the t, and also started with 21MG.  I was very nervous to go down to 14MG but didn't realize a difference, at all.  It is a mind game and you have to set your mind to the fact that nothing will ruin your quit but you :)  You don't need the patches, but if it helps you get to where you want to go, by all means!!!!

GOOD LUCK!

• Like 7

Patches "can" work.  

It's not that you quit twice but that you break your addiction into pieces

and work on them sequentially.

The first piece, while using the patch, you break your mental habit for smoking.  

You're still getting nicotine but your not smoking.  Your quit the mental habit.

When you stop using the patches you break the physical addiction, which we 

hope has been softened up by going through the steps of smaller patches over

the weeks. You quit the physical habit.

I quit using the patches.   

It was a more expensive and prolonged process then going cold turkey.

It was also a more gentle approach then cold turkey.

In the end victory needs no excuse.  

Results are what we are looking for and the only result that matters is prolonged and complete abstinence measured by your remaining days.

• Like 2