New laws come in force tonight in the U.K

What is their purpose in banning the sale of 10 packs? Just curious.

They don't sell 10 packs where I come from. Only 20's or 25's. I'm not sure if I would smoke less buying them in 10's or not. Possibly. It might be more top of mind to conserve what you have because to the average smoker, 10's not a lot.

• Like 1

What is their purpose in banning the sale of 10 packs? Just curious.

They don't sell 10 packs where I come from. Only 20's or 25's. I'm not sure if I would smoke less buying them in 10's or not. Possibly. It might be more top of mind to conserve what you have because to the average smoker, 10's not a lot.

They say they are trying to make it harder for the younger generation to buy them..

Casual smokers are saying ..now they are being forced to buy more...

I didn't buy pkts of 10...thankfully now I don't buy any at all...

• Like 1

I bought packets of ten in the UK.  When i moved to France, where they don't sell tens, I started smoking more - twice as much infact.  Stupid idea really, although obviously giving up is the best option...

• Like 2

I know.  Its like food.  If they were there I would smoke them.  Now my food problem is becoming a problem (even though it wasn't for first couple of weeks!!!).  I know, I know, it is better than smoking, but as I am already overweight, its annoying!  I am craving biscuits, cheese and bread like never before!

• Like 2

It seems interesting the correlation between the pack quantity and what we smoke. I always smoked 20 a day, exactly one pack. I wonder if all packs contained, lets say, 15, would i smoke 15 a say...?

• Like 2

It seems interesting the correlation between the pack quantity and what we smoke. I always smoked 20 a day, exactly one pack. I wonder if all packs contained, lets say, 15, would i smoke 15 a say...?

Me too..I would never go more than one pack..because that might have been bad for my health..

Oh the thinking of a addict..junkie thinking

• Like 1

I know.  Its like food.  If they were there I would smoke them.  Now my food problem is becoming a problem (even though it wasn't for first couple of weeks!!!).  I know, I know, it is better than smoking, but as I am already overweight, its annoying!  I am craving biscuits, cheese and bread like never before!

Don't worry most of us gained weight..after a while it does settle..

Then suddenly losing weight is more important than smoking...

I'm now back to the weight I was when I was puffing my head off..x

I'm sure, in the end, they will put whatever political spin on this that they need to in order to justify their actions. Whether it has any effect or not, is debatable.

I don't understand all this *****-footing around that governments do with smoking. Oh, let's outlaw small packs to reduce younger people getting into smoking. Oh, let's put horrible disease photos on cigarette packs. Maybe people will stop buying them. If governments were really interested in putting a stop to smoking, they would just make it illegal. Wouldn't stop all smoking but it would stop a lot of it. No one ever died from nicotine withdrawal so current smokers would just have to deal with it and in the end, it would be to their benefit anyway.

Now, the job losses in the "big tobacco" industry and related industries as well as the loss of tax revenues are the real reasons governments won't ever take a real stand against smoking.

• Like 1