Going for a Low Dose CT Lung Scan and Terrified

Feely

Going for this cancer test on Thursday. I changed my mind about it a few times, and after reading that they get a lot of false positives, decided to cancel, but to ask my doctor first before I cancelled. 

She told me that is was a good idea to get one - so now it's back on again and I am very frightened.

I was a heavy 40 year smoker. My x-rays came back fine, but I'm still really afraid.

Anyone here have any experience with this?

• Like 1

Why worry now if we weren't worried before? Easy, because ADDICTS have more important agendas to keep.

Dont.

Be.

Stupid.

Mmm-kay?

You are the same addict you always were. We all are. Just because we're not currently using does not mean, in the slightest, that we are not still addicts.

You are still the same addict and Sarge re-affirms: Worry and Fear are useless Soul Suckers.

Easy Peasy

• Like 1

When i smoked...my head was well buried in the sand..

It's only now that I've quit..I do wonder if I dodged the bullet..

I don't dwell ..I just live my life now as healthy as I can..and hope I do have some good years left..

• Like 2

Dont.

Be.

Stupid.

Mmm-kay?

You are the same addict you always were. We all are. Just because we're not currently using does not mean, in the slightest, that we are not still addicts.

You are still the same addict and Sarge re-affirms: Worry and Fear are useless Soul Suckers.

Easy Peasy

Don't.

Be

A

Condescending a$$.

Mmmm-K?

I am fully aware of my addict status.

• Like 9

I had it done three times. I have a very small nodule that they keep rechecking every year to see if it changes size. I feel relieved every time they tell me the size has not changed. I was able to wait after the test and have a doctor explain the results within a half hour. You should ask if they can do this for you. Waiting for the results is probably the hardest part. GOOD LUCK.

• Like 4

Good luck on your test, Feely.  These types of things stress me out too but it is better to nip any problem in the bud.  And if everything is A-OK, just think how good you will feel!  Hope everything checks out good for you!!

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it's the same but I had a lung scan, 9 months after quitting I was still coughing and worried so much. It was fine. But having it done did put my mind at rest and it will do the same for you I'm sure. Nothing is worse then faint fear hanging over your head. Get it done and dusted my lovely. xx

• Like 3

Hi Feely,

You will feel relieved when you get a clear result and can have peace of mind. If not they may have nipped something in the bud and you can get treatment before it is too late. There are a lot of times too that there are small nodes that need to be watched for growth.  

Of course we were (most) in denial when we were smokers but that doesn't take the fear away when you first confront it. It will get easier later on to deal with.

• Like 3

fear of the unknown is the worst fear!

I'm with Janet...having it done will ease your mind...OR..face problem head on. 

Sarge is right...Fear and worry are soul suckers for sure

I want to also second this. Fear of the unknown is the worst fear. Fear is there because it helps us stay alive. It also there because it helps us cooperate or figure out who to trust, or well fear is a valid emotion. Just on the premise of it.

Just like anything else fear has a dark side and for me the darkest side of fear personally was the fear that made me afraid to really let go of my addiction. not sure exactly what it was but finally i overcome it and trust me if you can overcome cigarette addiction you can deal with the emotional consequences of a lung cancer diagnosis and treatment and know you did what you could for your family to stay alive... and for peace of mind.

But I basically agree mostly with Sarge.

• Like 2