Awful day.....and all because of smoking!

Sparkles

And no, don't worry, I didn't succumb to the evil tobacco sticks!

We rent two holiday cottages.  There is a strict non-smoking policy inside the accommodation which is made very clear.  There are ashtrays in the garden for anyone who does want to smoke....

Last week had a call from a company who have workmen working at the local campsite and needed accommodation.  'Fantastic' I thought, a bit of a money earner, so I warmly welcomed them into one of our cottages.  First night the electric tripped so I went down to put it back on at their request - when I went in the smell of cigarettes was quite overpowering.  It is pretty obvious they had been hanging out the windows smoking.  As I left, I politely reminded them that smoking was not permitted inside - at which point they kept going on and on about how they only smoked electronic cigarettes.  I knew it wasn't true, but figured my casual friendly comment would do the trick.  

Over the course of this week I have found their behaviour rather odd.  When they have been there, all the windows, doors and curtains have been shut.  They even covered a tiny decorative window with a cushion.  ???  Today they left.  I went in to clean the place and the smell of stale smoke was very evident.  I was fuming......almost as much as a cigarette.  

I emailed their employer and told them the problem - they apologised profusely.  Half an hour later the ringleader returned in his car - I told them the problem, at which point he vehemently denied they had smoked inside - said I must be able to smell the electronic cigarettes...Yeah right.  I said I had seen them smoking cigarettes (which I had) and he still bloody denied it, and started shouting at me, telling me I was a joke.  By the end of it he had me in tears and I had to ask him to leave.  It was quite a scary experience (my other half conveniently wasn't around).  I am now in a quandry about what to do.  I am within my rights to charge them, but I don't know how.  The fabrics don't really smell it is just the air - even though the windows and doors have been open all day the stale smell is still there....it really is horrible.  

grrrrrr. I am so ******** angry.  Can't believe cigarettes are the reason why!  Excuse my rant, but I now feel a bit better for getting it off my chest.  

And breeeeeeaaaaathe!

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

• Like 2

PUMPKIN

Took us a while to get here, but we now realize: Cigarettes Suck!!!  Add to that an inconsiderate and hostile smoker (aka Di_khead) and you've got a really crappy situation.  Sorry you had to go through that.   

• Like 3

Since quitting I have learnt one important thing...

Smokers are selfish ..they need their fix.and will break any rule to get it..

I once leaned out of a hospital window..although I see now how stupid that was..then I didn't care..

• Like 3

Thing is I would never smoke inside a building, not even in my own house.  Maybe I am the only considerate ex-smoker in the world!!   :P

Yes, their employer paid a security deposit.  Am trying to figure out how to charge something.  Maybe a deep cleaning fee to cover washing the curtains and settee covers.  It would have been so difficult had I had other guests arriving today because the smell is still quite obvious now.  And we go to UK tomorrow for my father-in-laws funeral so I can't even leave the windows open anymore.   :angry:

What a cr*p day

• Like 4

I never smoked in the home..or anyone elses...i was waiting to be discharged from a Turkish hospital..

3 days without my fix..was all I could manage..the sad addict..

I'm sorry ,you have to deal with this..with a very sad ahead..xx

• Like 1

Depending on how any rental agreement is worded regarding the deposit that was left ,you could probably not return the deposit until you paid for whatever cleaning of the cottage was necessary to get the cig. smell out. These problems go with being a landlord - these and even worse sometimes!

I would put a big sign that there is a 500 cleaning fee for smoking indoors.

that is what the hotels do here.

and have them check when they confirm their purchase that they accept the fee should they violate the no smoking rules.

it is a cultural thing, too.

I feel you have every right to charge a cleaning fee.  I do remember how inconsiderate I was when I was a smoker, not so much recently, but in the early 70s OMG.  But if someone told me it bothered them I would try to be polite about it.

Send a message that it is not acceptable, and you did give them the alternative of ashtrays in the garden.

Have a non smoking someone from their employment come down and verify, if need be.

renting through airbnb can offer more protections because they have clear policies and can enforce and also because hosts get to also rate visitors so you can read what other hosts have written before renting to anyone.

Thing is I would never smoke inside a building, not even in my own house.  Maybe I am the only considerate ex-smoker in the world!!   :P

Yes, their employer paid a security deposit.  Am trying to figure out how to charge something.  Maybe a deep cleaning fee to cover washing the curtains and settee covers.  It would have been so difficult had I had other guests arriving today because the smell is still quite obvious now.  And we go to UK tomorrow for my father-in-laws funeral so I can't even leave the windows open anymore.   :angry:

What a cr*p day

Oh, so very sorry!  Hugs!  I never smoked in my house, either.

You have a right to charge them everywhere you go and stay rent etc. clearly states the smoking policy. Even rental cars and trust me they do not hesitate to charge if you smoke where you were not supposed.  Even as a smoker I NEVER smoked inside as my son used to get deathly ill.