Replacing one vice for another

Ok, I'm pretty sure I just made a pig noise while scarfing down my lunch. I'm not kidding...

As you can probably assume, I am not a pig, as pigs can't type, so pig noises coming from my face while simultaneously stuffing it (and not with salad) are not acceptable.

You'd think after almost three months of not smoking, my urge to eat anything and everything in sight would start to wane, but alas, it has not and I'm to the point that I seriously need to address this.

OMG! What if I would've made the pig noise while having dinner with my girlfriend!? I think she'd dump me (hey, ladies, wink wink).

This will not do.

ok, gotta go. My vat of spaghetti is getting cold....

• Like 5

haha!  

most people replace smoking with food...it's our addiction.  That thing inside of us that says we need more...something is missing.  Nothing is missing...and that's what makes this journey so much more than just putting down the cigarettes.  Besides...non smokers have this issue too.  lol

Everything we do revolves around food

• Like 3

On top of the overeating, I believe most people experience a change in their metabolism as well when they quit smoking; and, not in a good way either. The calories do not burn as fast for whatever reason. I'll take a little extra weight over a pine box any day!

• Like 4

I go by the theory of low dopamine and we are looking to increase it. Exercise is good to supplement the eating. It also increases dopamine.

I also have put on weight but not eaten any more. I have health issues so I can't "pig out". Pig out is the term we use in Australia when we eat excessively and eat bad food choices.

• Like 1

Oh and since I like to have mood music on at all times, I'll leave this here....(**disclaimer...sadly, Miranda is a smoker. :( She smokes briefly in this video. This is not an endorsement of said smoking...I just like the song...STOP SMOKING, MIRANDA!**)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTlaRu_Wsl4

Miranda is my spirit animal.

• Like 2

On top of the overeating, I believe most people experience a change in their metabolism as well when they quit smoking; and, not in a good way either. The calories do not burn as fast for whatever reason. I'll take a little extra weight over a pine box any day!

Yep. On top of everything that change in metabolism is real. I seem to recollect it's about 200 calories a day a person burns extra as a smoker than a non-smoker. On the plus side an extra pound of muscle mass (not fat mass) causes an average extra burn of 50 calories a day ... or something like that.

I gained the average 8 pounds and am struggling to keep it at that.  Even so my fasting blood sugar has gone down. I was pre-diabetic now am not...

trying to avoid the self-loathing part. Anything beats being a smoker.

• Like 1