Dream

Jackie

Hi Train Riders,

I had an AWFUL dream last night that I was at a bonfire and lit up a smoke.  I was back to smoking like I had never quit for the entire night.  It was so stinken real feeling that I woke up about in tears, so disappointed with myself.  I literally could almost taste it.

Well thank goodness it was just a dream!  I haven't had a smoking dream since my first week quitting.  There is nothing that triggered it that I can think of (not around it, wasn't having a craving or thinking about it, etc).  Craziness.  Regardless, it was just a dream but made me realize what a NIGHTMARE smoking is.

Don't quit quitting, EVER and have some pride in the effort you've put into your quit.  Don't disappoint yourself with even trying one, even if you are at a fake bon fire inside of your own stupid/addicted/weird imagination.

Have a great day all!

J

• Like 7

I have heard similar stories of people having those vivid smoking dreams and walking up in a terrible state of mind until they figured out it was just a dream. Good for you though for being so upset about it. Shows how absolutely committed you are to your quit!

Carry on - almost at 4 Months - rock solid :)

• Like 1

Never had any myself..but yes alot of folks here ,have had them...

I can only imagine the relief ,when you reolize it was only a dream...

I remember one guy here ,admitting he had a dream about another member here..but wouldn t say...

We had so much fun trying to guess who it was...no it wasn't me...but I'm still waiting..who knows..lol..

The subconscious mind has a great memory, but is a little slow on the uptake when change occurs.  I never had a specific smoking dream, but through the first weeks of my quit I had a series of dreams where I was either lost or desperately looking for something.  I figure that had something to do with having just recently quit among other things.

Of course now that we have solid evidence that the pineal gland in the center of our brain produces DMT, it could be that dreaming is an experiment in "hallucinogenic exploration."

Before I wander too far off the reservation...It seems that the dreams are a part of the process for many quitters and the process always works itself out.  Long live the process.

• Like 3

I never had smoking dreams myself but can imagine it might feel real and upsetting. Dont sweat it, a solid 4 months quit you have there keep at it and screw bad dreams, they´re assholes anyway.

• Like 1

That's OK Giveintowin, I haven't had any smoking dreams either. I like that quit you're building there by the way, Almost 1 month which is fantastic. That 1st month is the hardest and I would bet that any confusion you may be having will soon be a thing of the past. I remember that pretty much all of my first month, I had big-time brain fog. I thought it would never go away but it did - thankfully :)

• Like 3

That's OK Giveintowin, I haven't had any smoking dreams either. I like that quit you're building there by the way, Almost 1 month which is fantastic. That 1st month is the hardest and I would bet that any confusion you may be having will soon be a thing of the past. I remember that pretty much all of my first month, I had big-time brain fog. I thought it would never go away but it did - thankfully :)

Thanks for that. I really appreciate because no-ones cheered me that much. I have to admit this third week has been easier than the first two. :-)
  • Like 3

I have to admit this third week has been easier than the first two. :-)

Gitw - yes, you are getting to where that constant intensity of craves and anxiety starts to easy up bit by bit. It just doesn't happen as fast as we would all like it to happen. You just hang in there though and it will only get better from here on providing you keep the NOPE. You WILL still have those down days as you progress but they will be fewer and further between all the time. You've learned so many coping techniques and have worked so hard up to now - just keep that in mind too as you progress. Every day you continue your quit makes it that much more precious :)

• Like 1

Hi Train Riders,

I had an AWFUL dream last night that I was at a bonfire and lit up a smoke.  I was back to smoking like I had never quit for the entire night.  It was so stinken real feeling that I woke up about in tears, so disappointed with myself.  I literally could almost taste it.

Well thank goodness it was just a dream!  I haven't had a smoking dream since my first week quitting.  There is nothing that triggered it that I can think of (not around it, wasn't having a craving or thinking about it, etc).  Craziness.  Regardless, it was just a dream but made me realize what a NIGHTMARE smoking is.

Don't quit quitting, EVER and have some pride in the effort you've put into your quit.  Don't disappoint yourself with even trying one, even if you are at a fake bon fire inside of your own stupid/addicted/weird imagination.

Have a great day all!

J

OMGEEE!!  Thanks for sharing this!  Mine wasn't a dream but yesterday all I kept thinking about was "having a smoke" (I didn't)  I'm not sure why I kept thinking about it.  I kept going back to my 5 whys of quitting.  Looked at my list of things to do rather than smoke.  It helped.  It was so weird BUT I am super proud of myself for getting thru the day!  It was actually the daily NOPE commitment that kept me smoke free.  I can almost guarantee had I not stumbled across the quit train, I would have found/done every excuse to have that smoke. It also helped that it was hubbys bday yesterday.  I couldn't do that to him.  He tells me every day of how proud he is of me.

• Like 3

Fabulous Jacqueline :)

You're still pretty early on in your quit so you are gonna get those up and down days. It will start to smooth out more the longer you get into your quit though. Glad you have your list of reasons and yes, the NOPE; always the NOPE, every day :)

• Like 1

I've heard that this is fairly common and have had a few myself.  So.... I did a quickie lookup on Dreams When You Stop Smoking.  Interesting stuff.

"It has been discovered through research that it is part of the recovery process.  The brain begins to repair itself and reverse damage caused from smoking.  Neurobiologists have discovered that brain cells sprout new axons and nerve fibers during dream sleep.  A chemical named serotonin in the brain triggers the brain to dream.

Smoking depletes serotonin production in the brain.  When serotonin levels in the brain are balanced it creates a happy and contented state of mind.  When serotonin levels are low a depressed and anxious state of mind is created.  It is believed that cigarettes can deplete serotonin levels by up to 50%.  What compounds this problem is that the brain accepts the chemicals in a cigarette as a serotonin substitute on the basis that any chemical response is better than no chemical response at all.  So therefore, when an individual stops smoking, serotonin production improves and the brain begins to compensate itself for lost serotonin production.  The brain then produces more serotonin than needed, resulting in vivid dreams and nightmares."

Pop quiz on Monday.  Peace.

• Like 4

OMGEEE!!  Thanks for sharing this!  Mine wasn't a dream but yesterday all I kept thinking about was "having a smoke" (I didn't)  I'm not sure why I kept thinking about it.  I kept going back to my 5 whys of quitting.  

You're right on pace Jacqueline.  We spent years conditioning ourselves to turn to the cigarette, it takes a little while to reprogram our brains.  With every NOPE, you strengthen the new neural pathways being created.

You've got the commitment and whys down, in due time those smoking thoughts will diminish and eventually vanish.

Right on track.

• Like 1