Newbie Just Quit today

Hi, I am new to the forum and looking for support along what I am sure will be a worthwhile journey full of ups and downs.

I had been a smoker for over over 20 years and never seriously tried to give up. Over time the habit got worse until I found myself on up to 3 packets a day. 

Yesterday i decided to cut down and kept to 8 cigarettes all day (5 of which were in the space of an hour in the evening with a drink!).

I was allways of the mindset that I should cut down, I really enjoy a cigarette and would never want to give up completely. 

This morning I woke up, had one cigarette and decided thats it!. Put the patch on and be done with it. Never Smoke again. 

I am probably picking the worst time to quit since I am going on holiday in 2 days, but going with a group of friends (16) and they are mainly all non smokers. 

Any tips / tricks will be much appreciated. 

looking forward to chatting with some of you on this journey

Julian

• Like 7

Hi Julian and welcome to our community of "quitters"!!

You have made the best decision of your life to quit smoking completely. Many think they can just cut down or maybe just have one once and a while. Not true and can't be done. Smoking is an addiction and that addiction demands to be fed regularly. By quitting completely, you will starve that addiction and eventually beat your addiction down to the point where it will be just a memory. Going on vacation may be the best time to start your quit actually. You'll be out of your normal routine so the normal smoking triggers you have won't be there in the same way as if your were at home. This, and being around other non smokers could be a benefit to you. Spend as much time before then on this site and read as much as you can about this addiction. There's a ton of videos as well on smoking. Education about this addiction and your resolve to not smoke will be keys in a successful quit attempt.

Look forward to following  you on your journey. There's a lot of great people here who will all lend you support along the way.

• Like 5

Wow Julian...3 pkt a day..that's a serious addiction..so...even more delighted you found us..

Going on holiday with a group of non smokers will be a great tool...

I was a 52 year smoker..so yes you could say I had a good addiction going too...my advice...

Read all you can here.. Watch all the videos...learn about this horrible addiction...

Allen Carr the easy way to stop smoking...a great book helped millions..you can read it on line..

A good holiday book for you.!!!!

You can do it..I did it ..so you can too...

Gather all the info...these will be your tools in your tool box...

If you can stay near by ..shy your holidaying..all the best...

We are here to support you all the way to freedom ...x

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Julian and congratulations on choosing to take back your freedom.

Don't get yourself all worked up about being around other smokers in the early days of your quit.  It may be an issue or it may not.  Personally, I thought I would be bothered by other smokers.  For whatever reason, it has never bothered me one bit...from day-one it was a non-issue.  They're gonna do what they're gonna do, stay in your lane and commit to the path you've chosen.

The tips are simple: education about addiction dispels the myths and lies of the cigarette, unwavering commitment, and always remember NOPE (Not One Puff Ever).  Simple.

You are going to be fine.  In fact, this process will yield so many positive benefits the only regret you will be left with is not quitting sooner.  Embrace the process.  Enjoy the ride.

• Like 4

Thanks for all your kind words. managed to get through the first day without too much of an issue. I am using patches, and I do have an ecig, which i dont really want to use if i can help it. Do any of you Vape?

I am 100% sure i will of smoked my last cigarette. My focus in on health not money saving. I live in the middle east where the cost of cigarettes is minimal, which is why i got up to 3 packets a day!

As for my holiday I have told all my friends I have quit and sure they will support me, in fact one of them is a reformed alcoholic who stopped drinking in January so we have to support him as well!

J

• Like 1

Hi Julian,

Congrats on your quitting. Very pleased for you. You can do it. :) Read, watch as many videos and explore the forum as much as possible before going on vacation. That will help. Make use of the support, encouragement and mentorship offered up to you from your friend who fought his own recovery battles. (Congrats to him by the way for his achievement and regained health). He has gone through the very thing you will be. He knows what it is to be in withdrawal. Lean on him and let him help you.

I also did something that helped me. I made a little flash card reminder for myself. I took a piece of sturdy paper and made a little business card and wrote:

"Stop...

Think...

Remember Why...

Be Honest....

Discomfort Is Temporary...

Freedom Is Forever...

NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!" 

I keep this on me at all times everywhere I go and pull it out whenever I feel tempted. It has helped more then once.    

• Like 4

Julian, You won't find anyone here that promotes vaping. You are basically smoking still if you are vaping - just using a different delivery vehicle. Even if you are vaping with a no nicotine product you are still going through the same physical motions as smoking. Breaking those motions of smoking is probably as important and more difficult than getting the nicotine out of your system. There are videos in the "Joel" library here that address these issues. Please spend some time looking into this when you can. Education about the addiction is paramount in helping you to build a solid quit. Congrats for getting through day one! Treat yourself to something nice and carry on through day 2 - you're doing great!!

• Like 3

Julian ...

R !!...said it perfectly...

Vaping is till taking a puff of ( something)...you are still smoking...

Toss it out...cut up some straws the same lengh as a cig..and suck good fresh air..

Your lungs will be very grateful...

This is why we say education is the way to quit...once the brain fog is lifted ..you see smoking for what it is..

And that includes Vaping...

Your a fabulous non smoker..non smokers..don't smoke...

It's good to hear you will have support ,

Don't over think this ..you can do it..x

• Like 3

Hi Julian - No time is a good time to quit :)  The thought is so much worse than the actual quit.  Once you get in the frame of mind you will never have one again, a sudden sense of relief will come over you.  You will no longer have to worry about all the things that smoking causes.  One day at a time.  Celebrate every little win (one day w/o smoking, go out to dinner, 2 days w/o smoking, have a pop, etc).  Buy yourself something nice at the end of the week...that's a HUGE accomplishment.  We are all here for you whenever you need us, no matter what you need.  If you have to, scream and punch a pillow, but DO NOT light up a smoke no matter what! :)  It gets easier and easier, I promise!

Also - I used the patches to help me quit as well and look it now, almost 4 months smoke free and haven't looked back once!  Just don't vape, unfortunately, that is a way of allowing yourself to smoke without admitting its smoking.  That is also a thing I've tried in the past to sneak in I'm a non-smoker" LOL!  U can do it without!

• Like 2

Thanks, I agree vaping is not the way to go long term but if it helps and gets me out of a few bad moments than so be it if it stops me reaching for the cigs. At the moment I have resisted the temptations. I am now 3 days in a actually feel great. One question though, I have had mild dihorear for last day is that a symptom of quitting and my body detoxing ?

Congratulations on 3 days Julian! That's great. It does take some time for your body to adjust to the elimination of the 7000 chemicals you were cramming in it for decades. It can result in a wide range of symptoms. But the good news is they're just a temporary inconvenience when compared to the wonderful lifelong benefits you'll achieve.

You can do this Julian- and in your heart you know you must do this. Keep this quit at all costs....it's so worth it!

• Like 2

Welll I have just taken a 5 hour flight and listened to the alan Carr audio book. Very interesting and puts a new perspective on things. I normally chainsmoke in the lounge before every flight but this time not even tempted. What I am finding really good is that I like a drink and am not even bothered about not smoking when drinking. And I was 60 a day !

• Like 4

Welll I have just taken a 5 hour flight and listened to the alan Carr audio book. Very interesting and puts a new perspective on things. I normally chainsmoke in the lounge before every flight but this time not even tempted. What I am finding really good is that I like a drink and am not even bothered about not smoking when drinking. And I was 60 a day !

• Like 2

Welll I have just taken a 5 hour flight and listened to the alan Carr audio book. Very interesting and puts a new perspective on things. 

Good work Jules.  Allen Carr was a game-changer for many of us.  When you dispel the myths and lies of nicotine and cigarettes and recognize smoking for the perpetual act of futility that it is...it becomes quite easy to just say NOPE.

Freedom is straight ahead.  Proceed.

• Like 3

You are doing great, Jules.

Allen Carr really helped me out too.  His book really changed my way of thinking about quitting. 

In previous quits (which never lasted very long), I was always giving up something I loved in smoking. 

After reading Carr's book, I accepted the fact that I was giving up nothing positive by quitting but actually gaining a whole better life by leaving those nasty and deadly cigarettes behind.  That change of mindset really helped me quit for good. 

Keep up the great work.  It is definitely worth it.

• Like 3

Ok well, I have been a little quiet as been on holiday and ashamed to say have had a slight wobble. I have had around 10 cigarettes during the holiday. Not proud of myself but I guess it could of been so much worse as typically I would of been on 3 packs a day. Back to my normal life again tomorrow and will get this cracked

• Like 1