Think of your quit like this...from Paul723...please read

Nancy

One of my favorite posts....from member Paul723

"Your quit is like a baby you carry on your chest. You protect it from harm. You never leave it behind or discard it. You know anything someone says bad about it is a lie and you know it is the best thing you have. You don't let life come between you and your quit. You never think that something would be easier to do if you left it behind. This is simply not an option. You feel its heartbeat and you keep it warm and alive.

And

You

Don't

Smoke." 

• Like 5

I looked for the exact quote and wasn't able to find it, but Paul said something to the effect of: "You can't fight the waves, but you can learn to surf."

Wise words.

• Like 3

I looked for the exact quote and wasn't able to find it, but Paul said something to the effect of: "You can't fight the waves, but you can learn to surf."

Wise words.

Love this:

I wrote this a while ago for someone who was struggling, and was asked to share it.  This person had said that she was having waves of anxiety and smoking thoughts.  I hope it can help someone! biggrin.png  Ride the wave, man, it's like, gnarly.  icon_cool.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

OK, I might be taking a metaphor too far here, but...you know how at the beach when you want to swim out beyond the breakers?  To where it is nice and calm and you can just float.  As you wade in, it seems like the waves keep wanting to push you back to shore.  And at first they knock you over-- they tumble and toss you underwater; they throw you into the sand, and you can't even tell which way is up.  But you are tenacious, and you want to get beyond the breakers.  So this time you try to just pretend the waves aren't there.  You turn your back to them and plant your feet, but they still smack you on the back; they leave a red mark and they push you over.  But this time it didn't push you over all the way-- you are still in the water.  You don't have to wade back anymore.  The next wave that comes, you decide to turn your body sideways and jump a little bit.  It feels weird to jump at first, but then you realize that you actually have more control that way.  That little jump, that leap of faith, makes things so much easier.  This time, you feel the power of the wave, but it doesn't hurt you.  

Next, you see a really big wave coming.  It looks ominous.  It's already starting to break. You know that if you try to stand up to it, it will just tumble your butt back to shore.  It might rip off your bathing suit top while it's at it.  You can't flail around, you can't turn your back, you can't even turn to the side.  Instead, you take a deep breath, and you just dunk yourself underwater and wait for it to roll over you.  You come back up, and you're a little panicked.  Where are you??  But within an instant you realize that you are beyond the breakers, right where you want to be.  Where it is calm, and you can see the shore, and just float.  This time, you felt the power of the wave, and you allowed it to help you.

I think you are at the point where you are turning yourself sideways.  Hang on, pretty soon you will be diving headlong into those waves.  I'll see you at the beach soon with my boogie board!  smile.png

• Like 4

I wrote this a while ago for someone who was struggling, and was asked to share it.  This person had said that she was having waves of anxiety and smoking thoughts.  I hope it can help someone! biggrin.png  Ride the wave, man, it's like, gnarly.  icon_cool.gif

tumblr_llqmnumerl1qevasto1_500.gif

• Like 3

Your advice that night was also excellent Nancy:

It makes me mad that smoking does not fix any of the things I used to think it fixed.  And that I have to learn to fix everything in a different way.  And then sometimes the light bulb goes on and I realize that it is not my job to fix it, or that it is not in my power to fix it, or, in my case, I am trying to fix things that are none of my business...

SoberJulie had worked it out for herself earlier like this:

You don't have to be #1 at anything today.

You don't have to figure things out, or understand, or make sure everyone (or Someone) understands you.

You don't have to remember everything, or get all organized and start making lists.
You don't have to solve every -- or any -- problem you have today (or solve someone else's problems today either).

You don't have to figure out what will make you happy, or what you should do with your life.

Those are good things to do of course, and come with a measure of reward or satisfaction or comfort. That's very true. I'm not saying those things are completely unimportant.

But you don't have to do any of those things today.

All you have to do today is not pick up that first cigarette.

One hour at a time.

One five minutes at a time.

Until your head hits the pillow.

And if you do that,

you win.

That's it.
And the rest of that s*** will just have to work itself out or wait its turn.

Smoke free first.

The rest second.

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...