Out of the blue smoke "cravings" are weird at this point

PixelSketch

I don't really want to call them cravings, because they're nothing like the first week at all. At almost a month in, they're more like thoughts, along the lines of "I could REALLY go for a piece of chocolate cake right now." But if you don't have chocolate cake on hand, it's not a big deal. You forget about it quickly and move on.

And since that day recently where I caught myself not thinking about smoking, I have longer and longer stretches of time where I don't think about it at all.

But, out of the blue, these nagging thoughts of wanting a smoke pop into my brain.

Had a pretty strong one last night at a point where it was probably about the most ridiculous thing I could have done.

One of my current projects involves creating a series of digital illustrations. That means a lot of time spent hunched over a tablet doing detail work and going back and forth between the main monitors and the tablet monitor. Basically that equals tired eyes and stiff muscles for me, especially since I can easily spend 8 - 12 or more hours on one of these. 

When I smoked, because I needed to feed my nicotine addiction, I would get up every hour for a "smoke and stretch" and get away from the computer, stretch out my stiff muscles before I got back to it.

Last night, I worked for about 6 hours without getting up or really changing position. I usually work from home, sometimes out in the field, depending on the type of project I'm on, so my hours can be weird.

I'm prone to eye migraines (a zig-zag of flashing/strobing lights that appears in your field of vision and lasts about 1/2 hour before going away, can lead to actual migraine or a feeling of being disoriented after), and they come on, for me, from stress and tension. Sometimes I'll go for years without having one, sometimes I'll have 3 in a row and then they stop. They're a little disconcerting.

So, last night, as I'm working, I start to see that strobing light in my vision. I'd sat for too long and my muscles tensed up too much. I went to lie down in a dark room, and when it was over, I got the usual disorientation and at that point, I had a strong urge to go have a smoke. And I laughed at it. Really? Now? When I'm feeling something that is so close to being lightheaded, and it's making me uncomfortable? So, if I had a smoke then, it would just make me...more lightheaded...and more uncomfortable, among other not so good things. So...how's that going to help? Sounds logical. Hahaha. NOPE. Not at all. 

Funny thing is, by laughing at the thought, I took away its power and it disappeared. Just like that.

It's strange to me how my brain is still programmed to want a smoke when I need some comfort or reassurance. Once you realize a smoke won't give you any of that, it's easy to dismiss any thought of smoking. It was late, Mr. P was still out, but the cats are goofy and always provide a good distraction. I tossed around some cat toys for them and in a few minutes the disorientation passed. After that, I did a quick yoga routine - one that just involved stretching and deep breathing. And all was right in my world again. Those things brought me more comfort and reassured me that all was OK, than a cigarette ever would.

Bottom line? I have to remember to get up from the computer regularly and stretch out. And comfort will never be found at the butt end of a cigarette. NOPE.

• Like 7

Funny thing is, by laughing at the thought, I took away its power and it disappeared. Just like that.

It's strange to me how my brain is still programmed to want a smoke when I need some comfort or reassurance. Once you realize a smoke won't give you any of that, it's easy to dismiss any thought of smoking. 

Smoking thoughts, or any thoughts for that matter, have as much power as we give them.  I tried the confrontational approach in the past.  When the thoughts come, I will fight them.  Pointless endeavor.  The more I fought, the thoughts gained momentum.  Then I recognized the thoughts for the harmless little buggers that they are and it became quite easy to simply flick them away.

The good news about the programming and conditioning we put ourselves through as addicts is we can reprogram ourselves just as easily.  The moment we ash out that last cigarette and say nope to the next nicotine itch, we begin the process of creating new neural pathways in the brain.  Out with the old thought processes, in with the new.

You're doing great Pixel.  Proceed.

• Like 4

Yup, even 2 + months in some days, I get a pretty strong urge to have a smoke for some reason I'm not even aware of. Most of the thoughts I have about smoking are pretty mild and hardly there now but then, all of a sudden I get a fairly compelling one out of the blue. All part of the process I guess. It's sure a lot easier to manage things now then it was early on for me :)

• Like 2

Yes, absolutely. The support of this group is a big piece to the puzzle. We each have to fight our own battles as they come along and only we can actually do the quitting but knowing you have a place to come where everyone totally gets what you are going through is huge! Sort of like having a home to come back to daily :)

• Like 5

Early in my quit..I remember I talked to my craving..turning negatives into positives..

Something like this..OK buddy..I know what your trying to do..but I'm having none of it..I don't smoke anymore..

It helped me at the time..plus coming here...is a massive positive..you know folks have always got your back..

Keep climbing..your doing just fine !!!!....xx

• Like 3

Yup, even 2 + months in some days, I get a pretty strong urge to have a smoke for some reason I'm not even aware of. Most of the thoughts I have about smoking are pretty mild and hardly there now but then, all of a sudden I get a fairly compelling one out of the blue. All part of the process I guess. It's sure a lot easier to manage things now then it was early on for me :)

As you put distance between yourself and cigarettes, your view of the process evolves.  In my personal experience, education was the vital key to quitting.  The preparation for the quit...not so much.  I'm not anti-preparation, but with quits being so unique there are many unforeseen variables that simply cannot be sufficiently planned ahead for.  After just a few weeks, what cravings I did get were completely random.  From the very beginning of my quit, I simply didn't feel any lure to smoke when I saw others smoking or caught a whiff of cigarette smoke.  I had mentally prepared myself for the inevitable interactions with smokers only to find out it was a non-issue from day one.

Educate yourself.  Commit to the process.  You will find your way as you go.

• Like 5

I know allot of men that quit and didn't have the urge again after they quit was a little jealous thinking maybe it is easier for them... Not sure I know for me I can't say it was a breeze and I still get a thought maybe not an urge but a thought

• Like 3

In my personal experience, education was the vital key to quitting. 

^^^So much this.

I'm pretty sure if I hadn't read up on nicotine addiction, and the many posts here talking about the various aspects of smoking and quitting, I would be off the train by now. Knowing what I'm dealing with, really is making a difference.

• Like 2

I know allot of men that quit and didn't have the urge again after they quit was a little jealous thinking maybe it is easier for them... Not sure I know for me I can't say it was a breeze and I still get a thought maybe not an urge but a thought

I've known a few men who have struggled, but now that you mention it, I do know far more who haven't. Now, I don't know if it's because they are not struggling or because they just don't talk about it. Maybe I just know a lot of "strong but silent" types. :P

Mr. P quit at the same time I did, and though he smoked less than I did, it's been a breeze for him - at least so he says. He says he no longer thinks about it and feels like he never smoked - like that was someone else in another lifetime. It's not been like that for me. I'm finding it easier as the days go on, but I still have thoughts of smoking now and then that I have to fight off. And I wouldn't want to revisit the first two weeks after I quit for anything. He just sailed through!

• Like 1

Everyone is different..I've seen ladies here sail through it too...and I've seen ladies struggle..

I found it hard..at first... But knew there was no going back...so just got on with the job in hand...

But no matter what the pace is ..its OK...there is no good ,no bad..just keep the quit..

I always say..all roads lead to Rome...some folk just take the scenic route..

• Like 2

Good job staying strong!

I have the same issue, as smoking was the only break I ever took at work.

I still haven't figured out how to get myself to stand up and just walk around for a few minutes without going out to the smokers' area.

• Like 1

Good job staying strong!

I have the same issue, as smoking was the only break I ever took at work.

I still haven't figured out how to get myself to stand up and just walk around for a few minutes without going out to the smokers' area.

It's tough, isn't it? I'm sure eventually we'll get it worked out and find a new routine, though. Still better than smoking!  :)

I like the days I get to work on location, or the days I'm out shooting for a project because then I'm usually on my feet running around and hauling equipment all day. It helps. But the days I'm on graphics work and just sitting are harder. Right now, I'm forcing myself to get up every hour and a half and just get outside and walk for a few minutes - I've set an alarm on my phone. It's super annoying, but it gets me up! I figure if I do it enough times, it will become my new routine, and I can shut that alarm off!  ;)

• Like 2

I remember reading something from Joel that it takes a full year.  Here's why...

Does It Take 21 Days To Break The Smoking "Habit"?

A common misconception is that smoking is simply a habit and that if you can go 21 days without using you will break the habit . Video discusses how smoking is more than a habit, it is an addiction accompanied by associations with many events and activities encountered throughout life. Experience, not time is what is going to determine how long it is before you break all of the different associations that you may have with cigarettes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1v7o4q399s

Difference between physical and psychological urges

Video discusses how while the intensity between the psychological thoughts for cigarettes weeks or months into your quit may feel very much like the physical urges you may have encountered in the beginning of your quit, that there is an important difference in the two states.