Happy birthday to Me me me!

Aine

Tick tock 3 years!

Couldn't have done it without this board, all of you, and Joel's videos. And, of course, not smoking, no matter what.

Took a bit of time(not discussing that) to lose the 20 pounds I ate after quitting but I'm back to pre smoking weight and a few less pounds even. Saying this because maybe I'm not the only shallow person hanging onto this particular excuse to not quit smoking.

This year I seldom think about smoking. No real cravings, just a quick thought occasionally, but keeping the reality in my head ( constant bronchitis, insomnia, jittery, incapable of any social occasion that did not allow smoking, physical ailments, health hazard to my son, etc) neutralizes any real craving.

Things I've gained:

Trip to Ireland (money came from savings that would have gone towards cigarettes) plus, I wouldn't have been able to take a 12 hour flight since I couldn't smoke.

I've been sick a couple of times with a minor cold since quitting but no p eumonia or bronchitis!

My son is healthy.

I walk more and much further now. No chest pains.

NO MORE INSOMNIA (turns out my lifelong insomnia came from nicotine. Who knew??)

Skin is much better.

I can sit still for longer periods.

Peace of mind

Thank you, all.

• Like 7

Congrats on your "birthday" Aine and thanks for coming back and posting your update. Hearing these kinds of real, first hand accounts from longer term quitters really helps newbies like me who have just started this journey to nicotine freedom. Even now, although I still have a lot of work to do, I look forward to being where you are more than I look back to where I was only 2 months ago :)

Congrats, Aine!

As stated, the benefits FAR outweigh any reason we smoked.

Obviously, the health benefits should top any of our lists...

But... the time and money gained in these last 3 years as a direct result of quitting is amazing also.

Here's to taking control of your life!!

• 2 weeks later...