New bloke on the train

pedro68

Hello everyone, thought i should introduce myself. I am a 48 year old bloke who has been smoking from the age of 12 or 13 with the odd half hearted attempt at giving up, the longest being nearly 2 years in my early 30 s. I became ill with a chest and throat infection in the 2nd week of January this year, and as a result I have not smoked since the 12th January (just before going to the doctors at midday,but who s counting minutes!) After reading lots of your stories I thought I would tell mine. Thanks for the inspiration everyone and well done. Must go now as I am busy not smoking.

• Like 8

Thanks, been struggling the last couple of days for some reason. I will have to do the usual  and  eat my bodyweight in food to take my mind off the smokes. If anyone knows of an ex smokers obesity forum let me know I might need it soon!

• Like 3

Welcome, Pedro!

One way to fill your new non-smoking time and distract yourself is to keep reading and posting here on the QuitTrain!  There is so much information and great tips and fun and friends to make.  

A couple of my favorite snacks early in my quit (well, and still now) were shelled peanuts or pistachios and chips and hot salsa.  Both gave me something to do with my hands and mouth to keep cigs away and the hot salsa never went well with smoke!  Your appetite will mellow out and a few extra pounds is better than smoking.  Try taking a walk, do yoga or other exercise for distraction, stress relief and general well-being. 

You're a day away from week three, which is the hardest time, so you are a successful non-smoker now! :)

Hello and welcome Ped..

So glad you decided to take your seat on the train..first class of course..

Keep reading..knowledge will be your weapon..

If you havnt read The easy way to stop smoking by Allen Carr.this little gem of a book has helped millions..

The journey may hit a few bends in the track...just be prepared...come here daily and pledge...

So glad you found us...

Welcome, Pedro,

You have made 2 excellent choices..

The first choice was to quit sticking things in you mouth and setting it on fire...

The second choice was to seek out support and chosing the QT to provide it!