Posting an S.O.S.

MarylandQuitter

Before you take that one puff and throw your quit away, remember that everything you've gone through so far will have to be repeated.  Please make a new thread in this board so we can respond and help you keep your quit.  Whatever you're feeling is only temporary and nothing is worth giving up your quit over.  Not one puff ever.

Myself and the moderators are immediately alerted each time a post is created in this forum.  Please do not smoke!

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

:wacko:My name is Abby and my daughter told us a couple of weeks ago that she is having a baby and I  promised her I would quit smoking when she got pregnant....so I'm stressing out about quitting...if it were just me to think about I wouldn't quit (although I need to do it for myself before my chronic bronchitis turns into something worse...Any advice on what worked for you????

Hi Abby,

I think if we don't understand it can be too daunting to quit. I, like many others, knew that times when we couldn't smoke were hard (train journey, plane, car etc). We were pretty desperate by the time we could smoke again.  That's because after 20 minutes or so, the nicotine in a cig starts to come out of your blood stream - it creates a lack which grows and hey presto, you think about smoking and do so the next time you can.  Hope this makes sense so far :)

To not smoke is actually easier, really, I'm being straight with you. Yes initially, you get those cravings, but they are only thoughts and can only control us if we let them. After that you actually don't start to crave every 20 minutes or so, it just gets less and less. Hoping this still makes sense and trying to take you the science type route.

Emotionally it's a journey. However there are literally millions of ex smokers, look at it logically, if it were that hard millions wouldn't be able todo it :)

Allen Carr book called easy way to stop smoking works great for some folks. You can still smoke while you read it. Whyquit.com worked better for me as did reading all the info on this site that's pinned at the top of each forum.  

People say education is key and it's true.  When we can start to change our mindset from we need to smoke to be ok it gets easier. And that's where the self education comes in, you basically read and get info that appeals to your personality but the end result is the same. We know smoking is bad for us, we choose to ignore it. Educating means we can stop ignoring it and realize some uncomfortable times and some fabulous times (honest there is both!!) mean nothing in the face of the freedom we all now feel. Better health, better finances but also self worth.

Keep talking as something you say may trigger something in you that makes your mind start to work against the addiction and read up, it honestly does help. Worst case, it can't hurt to do some reading and some talking right.

xx

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Oh my, you've got a bit of a dilemma ... you want to give up because of your daughter, but acutally you don't really want to.  Been there, Abby, many times.

You have to want to give up if you want to make it easier on yourself.  The other comments here are very true - a good way to start is to educate yourself.

For me - I found the Alan Carr's book (already mentioned) excellent and it started the process, but I also added hypnosis that I downloaded and that was the clincher!  I started it the morning of the day I quit then every morning for another 3 days in a row I would sit/lie on my bed and listen...took about 40 minutes.

And it made me feel good about giving up.

The trick was - I wanted to give up.  I have since passed this on to two of my friends, and I'm happy to say, both have been successful and they say the same....want to give up and listen to the session for 4 days in a row.

I'm not sure where you can get the book from, but the hypnosis you can read more: http://changeyrlife.pw/quit-smoking.php

I wish you all the best.

Before you take that one puff and throw your quit away, remember that everything you've gone through so far will have to be repeated.  Please make a new thread in this board so we can respond and help you keep your quit.  Whatever you're feeling is only temporary and nothing is worth giving up your quit over.  Not one puff ever.

Myself and the moderators are immediately alerted each time a post is created in this forum.  Please do not smoke!

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever tried just one puff to make them realize they really don't want to smoke? I'm thinking maybe just one puff may make me realize how much I don't want to smoke. I wouldn't buy any just have a puff off my girlfriends after lunch today...Off to lunch and to ponder this thought.

Has anyone ever tried just one puff to make them realize they really don't want to smoke? I'm thinking maybe just one puff may make me realize how much I don't want to smoke. I wouldn't buy any just have a puff off my girlfriends after lunch today...Off to lunch and to ponder this thought.

Jess that ridiculous idea...you are one puff away from a pack a day...it will not taste good, but what it will do is activate your addiction.  Don't do it!!!

• Like 1

Jess.   calm down.  breathe a few breaths.

You are not going to get that 'ahhhh'  from nicotine any more.

that is GONE.

You can get that 'ahhhhh' feeling from LOTS of other things that won't KILL you.

Breathing is good.

and Oxygen gives me the most reliable, "AHHHHHHHHHHH".

Breathe, baby.

• Like 2

Hey Jess!

What for? You miss the stink? The horrible taste? The Russian Roulette factor - could this be the one that takes you to the Blue Room?

Let me help 

JESS YOU DO NOT WANT TO SMOKE!

There you go, I saved you the trouble.

Dont do it.

you are having a craving thats all. BREATH, drink water - you do NOT need a single puff

• Like 2

Trust me, you'll regret this.

One puff is never a good idea.

All that will do is aggravate your junkie thinking. 

• Like 3

Oh Jess, no. :( This is what we call "junkie thinking" you already have all of the nicotine out of your system and taking just one puff will reintroduce nicotine back into your system and wake up those receptors that you have fought to put to sleep. We are all just one puff away from a pack a day, please push these thoughts out of your head.

• Like 3

Jess...a big NO here. That is the addict in you talking. I think you know where that will lead you. There is nothing to ponder, but how awesome life will be as a non-smoker. If you need to avoid social situations wrong smokers for a bit until you get stronger...than do it. This is your quit, nobody is going to protect it but you. There is some work for you to do, read about the addiction. It is so important to understand it. From there I recommend you make a plan of action. Be proactive, figure out what your triggers are and what you can do to get through them. Stay committed to NOPE Jess and I promise before long you will be amazed at how easy it was.

• Like 3

Jesse, that one puff idea, I get what your asking. I remember quiting for a week, then taking a puff, thinking how bad it was. So I get what your thinking. Problem was...even though it was bad...I forced my way though it...you know..not really liking it but smoking it anyways...so a couple hours go by and I am not climbing the walls looking for another...or ran to bar for just a beer or two...knowing there was more there. So how many years later did I quit... who knows but I can say there are long periods of time between all my quits. I have several one year quits and two of these two year quits.  Whats difference this time???? NOPE.    Learned it and said it everyday, all day first two weeks.

NOPE  Not one puff ever.    That's how this quit worked for me. 2 years now I know I cant have one puff. I know this as a fact as much as I know my name.

So to answer your question..the principle of the idea is good but in practice it will never ever ever work.

• Like 7

Please dont do it jess a lot of us have thrown away perfectly good quits that way and took years to get back on the wagon because this is an addiction and to feed it by seeing if its bad will just start all over again and who knows how long before to you put it to sleep again

see it for what it is

i know throwing myself in front of a fast moving bus is probably going to do damage but i would not do it to prove myself right

take time out, read here some other posts and then come back and read yours again, please just do that one thing for yourself and you will see the junkie thinking for what it is

• Like 7

Second post,

same as the first

a little bit louder

and a little bit worse...

you can't smoke in my little red wagon

dd broke the wheel

and colleen's ass is draggin

NOPE.  Say it. It works. Put it as your primary thought to this quit. You cant have one puff ever.  

but quit will turn quick on you, you wont want a puff very soon, just trust us on that.

Remember Sonics post  "your our people now."

• Like 6

Hanging in Chat for a while, Jess.

Just in case you need.

Please don't smoke.

NOPE

NOPE  HARD !!

If it is lunchtime, maybe you are just hungry !  This might not be about nicotine at all.

don't give it power.  

• Like 5

Jess you saw last night that i jumped into chat and whacked bakon with a wet fish, when you join the train you become part of our family, hell are we crazy? You bet ya! but we care about each other here its personal with every single member

please trust in what we say we are here to help each other

learn by others mistakes and have an easier time for yourself

dont take another puff and i will whack myself with a fish we will both feel better xx

• Like 6