Posting an S.O.S.

MarylandQuitter

I remember how bad days like that sucked @idontsmoke Michelle, sometimes I would just go to bed early and hope tomorrow was just a little better and I can say that most days were, especially when I was as far along as you are now. Plus each crave you beat makes the next one easier until they just become like an annoying fly that you can just swat away 

giphy.gif 

• Like 2

Keep up the good work idontsmoke. You got this. Your as strong as you believe and the keeper of all your future goals. Don't let up for a second because you deserve to be a non smoker.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2014 at 3:10 AM, MarylandQuitter said:

Before you take that one puff and throw your quit away, remember that everything you've gone through so far will have to be repeated.  Please make a new thread in this board so we can respond and help you keep your quit.  Whatever you're feeling is only temporary and nothing is worth giving up your quit over.  Not one puff ever.

Myself and the moderators are immediately alerted each time a post is created in this forum.  Please do not smoke!

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Hello guys my first step towards quiting smoking is to use  Nicotine pouches whenever the crave for a cigarette hits. Any body with similar experiences kindly advice me

Edited by Sazerac
product placement

• 6 months later...

Everyone says the cravings you’re feeling today are temporary.  If it’s temporary, how come I feel them everyday?  How come it seems to be getting harder everyday instead of easier?  Can anybody answer theses questions?  “You can do this” doesn’t seem to be helping.  I seem to always be just one urge, just one puff, just one thought away from a cigarette.  I’m so tired of being depressed.  Just being honest here; sharing my feelings.  😢

@Judi, it was hard for me to believe that too when I first quit but I hung on because everyone said it would and they were right!

Everyone's quit is different but I think it was around the six week mark that things started getting better for me. It wasn't that I didn't still think about smoking that whole first year but the cravings got weaker and weaker with each one conquered. I still remember how great it felt the first day I woke up and didn't think about smoking first thing. I was in such a great mood that I even sang in the shower lol. Hadn't done that in a while..

For years and years cigarettes were such a huge part of our everyday life that there is going to be a lot of triggers to get past. But once you do, the next time gets easier. 

This is a process that takes time but you will get there 🤗

• Like 2

Hi Judi....

My quit at the beginning wasn't easy ...I fought like hell to keep my quit ...

I knew  if I failed ...then my two feet and me would be parting company .....

I had tools I worked with ...My punching pillow ....I took all my anger out on this ...

My I pod.... I danced around with music ...belting in my ears ....

Slogans ...screaming NOPE....

Listening to those ahead of me ..promising it gets easier ....

Reading Allen Carr the easy way ...twice ....

It takes time to undo our brains ,after smoking for decades ....

Once the light bulb went on ,and I saw smoking for the big fat lie it is ...I started to want to protect my quit

Watch the Tabacco Documentaries here .....

This was a turning point for me ...

This board has such slot of helpful material ....spend time taking it all in ..

• Like 2

Thanks, Doreen.  I’m trying.  God knows I’m trying.  I just feel so helpless.  So weak.  I don’t know which way to turn.  I wish I could find somebody who has had the HABIT of smoking as long as I have.  I really think it makes a difference.  It’s all I know.  I don’t feel like me.  It’s like the Judi I’ve  known for 62 years is gone.  I guess I’m in mourning.  That’s what it feels like, anyway.

22 minutes ago, Judi said:

I wish I could find somebody who has had the HABIT of smoking as long as I have.  I really think it makes a difference.

It doesn't. Addiction is addiction no matter how long. My smoking triggers won't be like yours but it took a full year to get past most of them. Truthfully, we may always have an occasional trigger pop up years down the road (I have), the difference now is that they are easily swatted away.

You will get there Judi, everything you're experiencing is completely normal. I thought of it like the death of a friend(?!). I went through all the phases of mourning and now I'm almost five years quit. 

Try to find the positives everyday, and remind yourself over and over again of the reasons you're quitting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Judi said:

It’s like the Judi I’ve  known for 62 years is gone.

The Judi you have known for 62 years is gone.  That Judi was a smoker and you will no longer smoke.  The Judi that will emerge at the end of your quit journey will be awesome.   It is normal for your emotions to be all over the place.  Your addiction is using every tool to get you to smoke again.  Judy, I promise you will get stronger and these thoughts will become fewer.  You have already made it this far, you can keep going.  You've got this girl! 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Judi said:

Thanks, Doreen.  I’m trying.  God knows I’m trying.  I just feel so helpless.  So weak.  I don’t know which way to turn.  I wish I could find somebody who has had the HABIT of smoking as long as I have.  I really think it makes a difference.  It’s all I know.  I don’t feel like me.  It’s like the Judi I’ve  known for 62 years is gone.  I guess I’m in mourning.  That’s what it feels like, anyway.

Judi ...

I believe I might have had the addiction as long as you ....

I started smoking at the young age of 11....and quit at 63 years old ...thanks to the help I Recieved here 

I felt too ..that my personality had changed ...and would never feel the same again ....

I was wrong ...

The new Non smoking Doreen is a much better person ...I was far more chilled ...more fun ...

Oh the list of advantages are endless....

All the things you are feeling is Temporary....I know it doesn't seem like it ,at the moment ...but it is ...

The only way for you to feel the magic ,is to soldier on ....

We say Day by Day...because that's all you have to cope with ...the day we are in ... tomorrow doesn't matter .

Keep posting Jodie ...

We are always here to hopefully help you through the rough times ...

This addiction stinks ...we get it !!!!🐸

• Like 1

Well, that’s mighty close for sure.  I started at 14 and quit at 76; total smoking life 62 years.  I’ve been told it doesn’t matter how long you’ve smoked but I totally disagree.  The longer you have a habit, the harder it will be to break.  That’s how it works for me, anyway.  I guess I should only speak for myself. But I’ll make it.  I’m determined!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Judi said:

I’ve been told it doesn’t matter how long you’ve smoked but I totally disagree.  The longer you have a habit, the harder it will be to break.

It's all relevant compared to our ages Judi, if I had continued smoking to 76 years I would have been a 59 year smoker. I quit a 35 year habit at 52 though. 

My quit sucked just as bad as yours does which was another reason for me not to relapse, I never wanted to go through that first year again!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Judi said:

Well, that’s mighty close for sure.  I started at 14 and quit at 76; total smoking life 62 years.  I’ve been told it doesn’t matter how long you’ve smoked but I totally disagree.  The longer you have a habit, the harder it will be to break.  That’s how it works for me, anyway.  I guess I should only speak for myself. But I’ll make it.  I’m determined!

I've seen young ones come here Jodi ,who have only smoked a few years ,and they have struggles just as 

Bad as yours ...it's a addiction ....

I've also seen folks come here addicted to 2 or 3 cigs a day ...and found it hard ...

This really is a insidious addiction ....

• Like 2

@Judi just keep concentrating on the positive.  Your picture shows a beautiful confident woman.  No matter how long you smoked, you have the power within you to quit.  Look forward to enjoying the rest of your life free of the addiction.   

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Judi said:

I find the more I talk about it, the more I want to smoke.  Thought I would take a break to see if that would help.  This is soooo hard!  😪

I think that maybe in your situation, talking about it is what is keeping you from smoking. 

• Like 4

So glad to see you're still smoke free Judi 🤗

I'm no social media buff, don't even have Facebook but much to my surprise, when I started coming here, which was mostly just to keep myself occupied and my hands and mind busy, I soon found that talking to others and reading about others going through the same thing as me somehow helped to at least keep me focused. It wasn't a magic bullet or anything just one more tool I could use to help drag myself forward. 

I remember from my own early quit journey the most frustrating thing for me was the pace of seeing positive changes was just so slow that I didn't even realize they were happening until I looked back on things after the fact. I wish I had have had more faith and patience in the quit process during the early days. That alone almost wrecked my quit early on. I needed to believe in the process and my own ability to endure the process. I does work Judi! Keep fighting!

• Like 4