Posting an S.O.S.

MarylandQuitter

Thanks for the quick response yesterday to my SOS. Did not smoke and am feeling calm today :-)

I haven't figured out quite how to use the site yet.

Good work.  Strength builds with every successful bout.  You're on the right path...Proceed.

And like Doreen said, regardless of where you post, we'll find it.

• 1 year later...
On 3/29/2014 at 3:10 AM, MarylandQuitter said:

Before you take that one puff and throw your quit away, remember that everything you've gone through so far will have to be repeated.  Please make a new thread in this board so we can respond and help you keep your quit.  Whatever you're feeling is only temporary and nothing is worth giving up your quit over.  Not one puff ever.

Myself and the moderators are immediately alerted each time a post is created in this forum.  Please do not smoke!

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Everyone here is on your side 

so, give us a chance to talk to you before you blow your quit.

and

Please

post your own pre-response to your SOS

this will help solidify your quit and teach us how to respond to any crisis you may have.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi I am one day and five hours in on my Quit - I found this site through google I havent stopped reading every post to find out if how I am feeling is normal !! seems it is but it is still sooooo hard - this is my fifth quit attempt in five years so desperate to beat the cigs x

• Like 9

Welcome aboard Hayley, congrats on deciding to take your life back. Any questions you have can probably be answered by our members here as far as quitting goes. Why don't you introduce yourself on the introductions board so everyone can say hi :) Oh and anything you want to know can be posted on the discussions board. It'll get more views over there. Lets make this quit your forever quit :) 

Edited by jillar
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hayley said:

Hi I am one day and five hours in on my Quit - I found this site through google I havent stopped reading every post to find out if how I am feeling is normal !! seems it is but it is still sooooo hard - this is my fifth quit attempt in five years so desperate to beat the cigs x

Welcome to QuitTrain, Hayley.  Congrats on deciding to quit smoking.

Like you, I had several attempts to quit before quitting for good.  That cycle of quitting and relapsing is horrible.  It is best to quit for good and leave the cig's behind forever.

Yes, it may feel like quitting is very hard.  These are normal thoughts.  However, seeking out support as well as educating yourself about nicotine addiction really helps in quitting for good.  You will find a lot of support and knowledge here.

And to reference Jillar's previous post, more people will see your posts in the introduction thread.  There are a lot of people here willing to help you out and wanting you to succeed in quitting for good.

It is nice to have you here. 

• Like 2

Hi Hayley,  So glad you found us.  I also found this site one Google.  I had tried everything; patches, cessation clinics and hypnosis.  There is something wonderful about this site because it worked for me.  It is full of information and so many  personal accounts on quitting smoking.   Once you get going it is not that bad.  It actually is quite rewarding.   So excited to help you on this journey. 

• Like 3

Hope you stay with it Hayley! The benefits that last the rest of your life are so worth the uncomfortable days you may experience in the beginning. 

Trust me ....... you are NO different than any of the rest of us and we have made it through the same early days you are experiencing now. You need to be fully committed and 100% invested in your quit. Once you are and are able to turn your back on smoking - yes, take it off the table completely, then and only then will you be free from this addiction.

It's as simple as never taking another puff from a cigarette. It's the adjustment in your brain to living that way that takes a lot of time and work but it WILL happen to you as it has to all the others who have gone before you. Just give it a chance :) 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

On 3/29/2014 at 3:10 AM, MarylandQuitter said:

Before you take that one puff and throw your quit away, remember that everything you've gone through so far will have to be repeated.  Please make a new thread in this board so we can respond and help you keep your quit.  Whatever you're feeling is only temporary and nothing is worth giving up your quit over.  Not one puff ever.

Myself and the moderators are immediately alerted each time a post is created in this forum.  Please do not smoke!

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

On 8/17/2018 at 5:33 PM, Sazerac said:

Everyone here is on your side 

so, give us a chance to talk to you before you blow your quit.

and

Please

post your own pre-response to your SOS

this will help solidify your quit and teach us how to respond to any crisis you may have.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, 

First of all, thank you for being here. 

I'm thirteen years old, smoked one pack a day for 14 years already, and have not had any health problems so far. Plus, I loved smoking a lot.

I quit three weeks ago, but guys, today was the worst. It was the first quit-day times ten. My body was grinding at least for five hours. I even felt blood pressure on my face.

Is it really worth to quit smoking? I've not seen any benefits so far.

P.S. Initially, I wrote 25 reasons why I wanted to quit. To me, the health benefit was the second from the last - saving was the last.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard @max1888, I'm thinking you meant thirty and not thirteen? Congrats on three weeks quit already, that's great :)  Yes, it really is worth it to quit smoking. You just have to give your body time to mend before you can see the awesome benefits. Surely you must have noticed though that your sense of smell and taste has come back already? We need to remember that we caused years of harm to our bodies by smoking and it can take a good while to right all the wrongs. So hang in there, I promise it will be worth it.

When you get a chance why not take a second to introduce yourself to everyone in our Introductions forum. We have a great group here :) ,

PS. I'd like to know what reasons beat out health because for me and a lot of others that's usually number one or two

• Like 3

Welcome max1888,

There are many advantages to quitting smoking. I believe that the thought of living a healthier and hopefully longer life would be on the top of your list. Who am I to say though because everyone quits for their own reasons. To truly quit and remain quit one needs to be completely committed to beating the nicotine beast. This is going to be hard work and require you to make smart choices. Do not fall prey to the junkie mentality. Your life is worth saving from terrible medical issues from smoking. This is your decision. If you choose to quit then we will support you 100%. Stay safe, make smart choices and always remember to NOPE(not one puff ever).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, max1888 said:

Yes, it is really worth it!

Your talking about your future health here. At your age, if you quit now, you may avoid all the health issues that come form smoking. For me health is at the top of my list for kicking this deadly habit! If you don't have your health, nothing else matters.

Try to get settled down, in your thinking. Don't panic, it's not like the same options won't be available to you at anytime later on. Your health is worth taking the time to really think this, very important decision over for awhile. Three weeks is early in your quit. It's common to have good and bad days at this point. But I'd bet if you get a good nights sleep, you'll find things are better in the morning. You will see the benefits of your quit in time! Come back here and talk to all the Great people who can help you get your quit on solid ground. They have sure helped me!

Don't just throw a three week quit away! There is nothing in that cigarette that will make you feel better! Nothing!

Jeff

Edited by JH63
  • Like 3

@max1888, even if you don't yet see the benefits of quitting, it most definitely is worth it.  It sounds like you are trying to justify quitting when it would seem more logical to justify smoking.  Being a non-smoker is the natural state.  Our bodies are not meant to be human tobacco filters.  Smoking robs you of your health and money.  You can't always see the damage it is doing to your body.  By the time someone is diagnosed with a smoking-related illness, it is often too late to fix the problem.  Hang on to your three weeks!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, max1888 said:

and have not had any health problems so far. Plus, I loved smoking a lot.

There is a lot of denial you need to work through here. 

Just because you haven't had any health problems that you can see,

if you educate yourself of the dangers of tobacco/nicotine you will learn that the risks are EXTREME.  Deadly.  

Worse than any of us could have imagined, worse than any addict can admit.

I quit three weeks ago, but guys, today was the worst. It was the first quit-day times ten.

It is not unusual for craves to pop up out of the blue and throw us for a loop especially early on in the quit.

You are v. young in your quit.  Protect it with your life.  Nurture yourself through any difficulty. 

Reward yourself for every crave and trigger faced.

The Significance of Rewards

This is the addict speaking and you must stop obeying the addict !

Remember the words of our member, Sirius,

"The next time a craving plunks down on your face ask yourself, "

What price you are willing to pay to own yourself?" 

Here are some more lies we all told ourselves

Red Flags

Hang tough, look towards your freedom.  Your self-esteem and self-confidence are about to blossom

and you will have earned a profound trust in yourself that will help you for the rest of your days on the planet.

• Like 2

Hi @max1888.....sorry I'm late with the welcome ....

3 weeks is a quit to be proud of ...

I think your problem is you believe the cigerette done something for you ...you believed all the lies....

You need to read all you can here and watch all Joel's videos ...

Your thinking like a addict ...you need to unscramble your thinking....

It's what us all addicts had to do ...

I think you should take a seat on the train ,buckle up ...and travel along with us daily ...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

NO SMOKING NO SMOKING NO SMOKING.....been a rough day but I'm still here despite SERIOUSLY considering, just for a minute, of smoking, during the Mother Of All Cravings. I'm ok now but I think its important to talk about it when we are tempted, even if that moment has passed. So....yeah. Still standing despite cravings coming and going. They don't last long but when they keep coming and coming and coming it takes a lot of effort to use my tools!

• Like 3

It WILL get better Michelle! You're right to come here and post your challenges. We have all had them. You are a little more than a month in now. The better days will soon become more numerous than the tough days. Even though that's true, we also understand that battling those tough days this far into your quit can be draining. That's your addictions master plan - wear you down so you'll give in - Ha! Tell your addiction to Naff-off! You're winning. Why would you even want to return to addiction slavery? 

• Like 2

Thanks ya'all....I have days with lots of mild cravings that I can laugh off and days with no cravings but this one was MASSIVE and lasted a while. I *dont* want to go back to slavery, or addiction..Here are the things I tell myself: if I smoked I'd stink, get short of breath, be crushed and there is no way I'd stop at just one. And even if I could stop at just one it would start the craving cycle all over again....I got this...I have shoulder surgery a week from Friday and I will heal much faster this time around than any of the other surgeries I've had....I'm in recovery and the cravings for other substances have gone away. I haven't had a drink in four years and I can sit with someone drinking, walk through the alcohol aisle in the store, go to celebratory events etc and not even be tempted. It will happen with nicotine too, in time.....These are my tools but you guys are INVALUABLE

Thank you everyone.

• Like 2