24 Day Update

Jackie

Hi there :)

So, it's been 24 days and some hours since my last smoke.  The last three days have been really hard.  I've made it through, but something inside my head changed, where my passion and new found energy disappeared to stay quit.  I have thought a few times now "what would one hurt," knowing full well that it would hurt A LOT.  I'm looking to you for support today, just to help me get through the cravings and bad moods.  I go in spurts.  Right now, I'm fine, but I've been getting crabby and short tempered and forgetting the reasons I quit in the first place.

I have absolutely NO intention of smoking or going to buy a pack, but I could sure use a pat on the back from you all (because I'm a big ol baby today).  Please help to remind me of all the amazing things about being a non-smoker and the backlash of failing.

Thank you so much and I wish you all a wonderful weekend!!

J

• Like 5

You are doing great!  I am not sure if it is true but quit smoking lore says that the  third day, third week and the third month are problematic, ie the terrible  threes.  I have read that in the third week  a person is going through psychological withdrawal.  

Have you ever read the famous book by Alan Carr , How to Stop Smoking? I think this is where I read about the Nicodemon that takes several weeks to die, It throws a fit that it is not getting its nicotine and as it dies, it gets crazy. Anyway, this is a great book to read.  It really helped me.

Hang in there.  It is never good to have just one.  That is the Nicodemon talking.   :)

Edit:  Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd_MTSQ6kNM

• Like 3

The best thing about being a non smoker?  No longer walking around in a big ol cloud of stink.  That was a huge motivator for me to stay quit.  24 days is great - just remember that you will experience ups and downs along your quit journey, good days and bad.  Keep breathing through your craves and don't worry too much about being cranky.  Our loved ones forgive us when they know it's part of the quit experience.

• Like 2

Hang in there, Jackie....you are doing great!!

I remember when I hit my 3rd week, I hit that same wall...

I was told it's not uncommon to have trouble on the 3's....

3rd week....

3rd month..

Just keep your eye on the prize..one day at a time will get you there!

• Like 2

Jackie

You have been fighting the good fight and WINNING.  Now you are at the cusp of rejecting an old habit and creating a new one.

It's all a change and it's new and so it's scary.  Your brain is used to the old way and now it is out of the comfort zone.  

You know what?  YOU are in charge!!  And you are doing so well.

You are an inspiration to newbies like me.

Keep on keeping on!  I'm following right behind you.

Refuse-To-Accept-Defeat-Without-Fighting

• Like 2

Man, thank you guys!  Just what I needed to hear.  I've also heard about the evil threes...didn't even realize this is week three...oye!  One day at a time!  I was just do damn peppy and happy when I first quit LOL.....I think the true test is getting through the tough days.  You guys are the best

! :wub:

• Like 3

We are so proud of you!!!

And yes, those terrible 3s can be a bit of a bear.  Getting through them will make you stronger!  Keep that positive attitude and if you need to punch a pillow til the feathers come pop out, go for it!!!  You can get a new one with the money you have saved from not smoking!  

• Like 2

Jackie..just think how you would feel if you did take that puff...devastated...

I was once told by someone with a good quit ,when I was a newbie...

It's OK to wobble..just make sure you don't fall over...

I thought of these words countless of times..it helped me through

You are nearly at your first month's celebration.. Carry it with pride..

Keep marchin..x

• Like 1

A little over a month into my quit I had my one and only moment that I almost gave up my quit. After fighting with myself all day I went online and googled something about smoking and like flipping a light switch my weak moment passed. Yours will pass too. You're doing great keep posting. 

Something to take your mind off the moment. http://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/

Man, thank you guys!  Just what I needed to hear.  I've also heard about the evil threes...didn't even realize this is week three...oye!  One day at a time!  I was just do damn peppy and happy when I first quit LOL.....I think the true test is getting through the tough days.  You guys are the best

! :wub:

All the shiny new has worn off your quit, and now it is just work.  We all get it.  Keep celebrating every milestone, reward yourself frequently, and know that you are changing you and your family's future!

671ac5ad38b6da1d7f64dce28a5f85b9.jpg

A guy I work with stepped out for a smoke the other day.  He turned to talk to somebody, the wind blew in his face, and he caught an ash in the eye.  I didn't openly mock him, but I did feel a bit of gratitude for the fact that that's not me anymore.  Those addiction thoughts paint such a rosy picture of smoking.  The narrative that addiction tells to lure us back to the dark side is one of rainbows and angel farts.  The reality of smoking is far less appealing.

We are adaptive creatures.  That bright and shiny new thing becomes the same old, same old with the passing of time.  Same goes for quitting smoking.  It's awkward, then exciting, and eventually mundane.  When the excitement wears off, it's commitment that will get you through.

Wherever you are on the emotional spectrum, remember to be grateful.  You have set yourself free and will reap rewards from quitting everyday for the rest of your life.  It is not difficult to find gratitude in that.  Drive on.

• Like 2

A guy I work with stepped out for a smoke the other day.  He turned to talk to somebody, the wind blew in his face, and he caught an ash in the eye.  I didn't openly mock him, but I did feel a bit of gratitude for the fact that that's not me anymore.  Those addiction thoughts paint such a rosy picture of smoking.  The narrative that addiction tells to lure us back to the dark side is one of rainbows and angel farts.  The reality of smoking is far less appealing.

We are adaptive creatures.  That bright and shiny new thing becomes the same old, same old with the passing of time.  Same goes for quitting smoking.  It's awkward, then exciting, and eventually mundane.  When the excitement wears off, it's commitment that will get you through.

Wherever you are on the emotional spectrum, remember to be grateful.  You have set yourself free and will reap rewards from quitting everyday for the rest of your life.  It is not difficult to find gratitude in that.  Drive on.

Your writing is coll, ever thought about writing a novel Boo? Serious. Ive been noticing that you have a cool flow.

• Like 4

Thank you all!  I made it through last week and this week seems to be off to a much better start.  I too found that I am thankful every second I don't have to stand in the freezing cold to have a smoke.  I went to eat with my husband last night and stepped over a huge pile of cigarettes laying in the parking lot and instantly thought, "I'm so proud that's not me anymore."  

Thanks for getting me through my difficult week.  Keep on keeping on :)

• Like 5