Quit plan

ExTex

I need some help putting together a quit plan.

I have had many quits fail and it's all because I did not have a plan.

It's fine to throw out the empty pack and declare "That's it!  No more!".  But then the first crave hits and BAM! 

I carpool to work with a non-smoker, so that's covered.

I don't smoke at home.  My husband doesn't smoke, so that's a no-go.  Fortunately, I don't have any bad habits there.

My real concern is work.  1) I'll never take a break and 2)I will be off-the-charts cranky.

What have y'all done to cope with work?

• Like 2

Breaking habits.

Make new ones. Instead of going outside and smoking, make a cup of tea. Or eat an apple with peanut butter. Cut it into pieces and spread it on. Reward yourself. Don't make it a punishment to not smoke.

Attitude is everything. Rewards for the hard work. Rethinking the way you look at smoking. Your not missing it. You are to smart to touch it. You are now a non smoker and do the things you missed before. You walk. You exercise. You craft or read. Anything you like. You don't need to stink to not be crabby. Stay away from the stench sticks and go home smelling like a girl.

• Like 2

Check in here if you can!  Post a number in the chicks and sticks game.  :)

Make a phone call. I love the tea idea or a healthy snack. Walk around the building.  

Read motivational quotes to try to stay positive.

Take some deep breaths\Meditate.

Enjoy that you don't have to go out and smoke! 

• Like 1

Regarding a plan -

have some snacks ready.  I used to love eating pistachios or peanuts from the shell.  Gave me something to do with my hands and mouth.  

Chips and salsa was another favorite snack - the hot salsa didn't go well with smoking.

Also, be ready to put off your craving - tell yourself, not now.  I will not smoke at this moment.  Maybe in an hour.  That will give the craving time to pass. 

In the same token, try not to struggle with yourself about it.  In failed attempts, I would get into this "I want one" "I don't one" I have to have one"  "I'll just smoke this last one and that will be it for sure!"  "Oh my, I want one so bad"  Those internal arguments so often lead right back to smoking.  Decide you want to stop, then stop. 

• Like 2

Treat your self to a great magazine a day to read at breaks...it will still be cheaper than a pack of cancer sticks a day..

Try and pop here ..look at the funny animal thread..always brings a smile and a laugh ..time will pass quick..

A quick walk...some deep breaths..

Change your thoughts to positive ones..it's not woe it's yaaaa.....

• Like 1

Plenty of good options already offered up.  Deep breathing exercises are something I started when I quit, but plan to do from now on.  Breathing deeply and really focusing on each breath calms the mind and body.  There are any number of ways to do these exercises, but breathing in through the nose and exhaling slowly from the mouth with your lips pursed always does the trick for me.

Breathe deep, relax, and let the newfound freedom flow.

This is a really good question and I'm glad you asked it.  I used to smoke a ton at work.  In fact, it wasn't uncommon for me to smoke an entire pack in 8 hours.  When I was on midnight shift, it was often times just myself in a huge building built in 1903.  I could sit atop and watch DC as it slept or sometimes not.  Either way, it was wonderfully quiet, beautiful sights and it was just myself and my thoughts.  I didn't have to worry about other people coming and going thus affecting the need to feed my addiction.

Day shift I also smoked while working, just not as often because there were many more things to deal with; people being at the top of the list.  Yeah, people = stress.  Still I would catch a smoke pretty much whenever I wanted but certainly not like the carefree midnight shift.

When I quit smoking, I kept myself busy and if my work was done, I found more.  I kept printouts of the Quit Smoking Recovery Timetable on me and had several key topics bookmarked on my phone to read if I was getting antsy and wanted a cigarette.  I kept Allen Carr's book with me and also had certain pages of it bookmarked.

Lastly, the crankiness you're experience will go away.  Once you get the nicotine out of your system (3 days or so) the rest of psychological and this is where you really need to learn and understand about this addiction.  You can start with watching the videos concerning issues when you first quit.  Come here as often as you can.  If you think you're going to smoke, post an S.O.S. on this specific board.  Myself and many other members get alerts to our phones and email whenever somebody posts a new topic on the S.O.S. board.  Somebody will there quickly to help get your through.

How To Quit Smoking

Video lays out simple tips for people wanting to quit smoking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l27zWo7hbcY

Related resources:
Quit smoking tip sheet
http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_01_ti...

WOW!! Fabulous ideas!

I'm trying to stay away from snacks and chew a piece of gum - but am willing to grab a bag of chips if that's the only thing between me and a smoke!  I also like the idea of making a cup of tea.  I may go buy some fancy teas to stock in my desk.  That is a solid idea.

We have a really big building here, so I can take a walk almost whenever I want to need to.

I will be back at work on Day 3 and I know it will the hardest day.

I may book myself into "meetings" all day so my calendar looks full and I don't have to deal with people.

Thanks, y'all

• Like 3

You don't need a plan.

A plan is avoidance and procrastination. An excuse - "I don't have a plan yet ... I can't quit yet..."

"I didn't have a plan, that's why I failed ..."

Nope.

Not buyin' it.

Put them down. Never pick them up again.

It's the *only* plan you need.

Easy Peasy

• Like 1