full of emotions

alley

I tried quiting 3 days ago.  broke down and smoked 1 cig each day.  ugh!  of course then I feel quilty and it really only made all these emotions worse.   I have smoke for over 30 years.  I WANT to quit totally.  I understand it is going to be tough for awhile.  I am a strong woman, but these thoughts and cravings are HUGE and I find myself caving.  So I decided to come in here and get support from all of you.  A place to go when I feel weak.  A place for inspiration.  My heath has been affected by smoking all these years....high blood preasure, I had a TIA a few weeks ago....and know if I continue I will either have a heart attack or full stroke.  You would think that would be enough to make me smile and be happy to quit.  sad to say...it is still so very hard, emotionally.  please dont judge.  thanks for listening.

• Like 3

Welcome to the board, nochoice.  Like you, many of us smoked for over 30 years.  If we can do it, you can, too.  You just have to make up your mind Not One Puff Ever.  Quitting is uncomfortable, emotional and sometimes even miserable, but it will not kill you.  You just have to get through it.  I know it doesn't feel like it, but that one cigarette daily is just prolonging the agony.  There is a lot of wonderful information here to help with your quit.  Also many of us benefitted from Allen Carr's book EasyWay to Stop Smoking.

You CAN do this!!

• Like 1

No judging here..I smoked 52 years..my advice..

Read ,read,read all the stuff here till your eyes bleed...

Knowledge...when you understand this horrible addiction fully...it makes it easy...

I also recommend the book easy way to stop smoking by Allen Carr...he has helped millions..

Stay close to the board.. Post everyday...

You can do it

Congrats.. On your great decision...

• Like 2

Welcome nochoice. Some good advice here so far. You seem to be struggling in the early days, im afraid those are hard and must be endured. There is no way to avoid the pain you must go through to see something else that is true. Perseverance my good lad. Lots of water, exercise, deep breatthing....stay strong and get it done.

• Like 1

This is in  The Newbie Database (in the quit smoking discussions forum)

I could see it happening and that's what made it okay to keep going. Well, that and the gang war with the QSMB, heh heh.

Watch the joel videos. You really don't want to disappoint the guy :-)

Within ...

20 minutes Your blood pressure, pulse rate and the temperature of your hands and feet have returned to normal.

8 hours Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream has fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.75% reduction.

12 hours Your blood oxygen level has increased to normal. Carbon monoxide levels have dropped to normal.

24 hours Anxieties have peaked in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.

48 hours Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability will have peaked.

72 hours Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine.  Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day have peaked for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and your lung's functional abilities are starting to increase.

5 - 8 days The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.

10 days - The "average" ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.  

• Like 3

Actually, my personal favorite was when huge gops of long term lung mustard started to break free. "Productive cough" takes on a whole new meaning. 

Can't remember for sure when the cough went away. Thing is, it did. My wife quit a month later. The house no longer sounded like a TB ward. Son is now a few months from being 16. Never started smoking. 

There. That's enough cheerleading for today.

Don't pick up the first one.

I wanted to bite my dog by the third day. And i love my dog. The thing is, most withdrawals will at times put you in the mood for howling in pain but it goes away as fast as it came. Take a shower and drink water it will go away fast. Easy.

• Like 1

Hi Nochoice. Welcome aboard. Those first few days are a bitch aren't they? None of us here are superheroes (with the possible exception of Bakon, he's cool) and we managed it.

Big girl panties on. Grit your teeth and promise yourself to relish every crave. They are signs that you are winning.

You really can do this. Great decision to quit.

• Like 2

It sure feels wonderful to know I am not alone and that others truly do understand my crazy thoughts.  Your words are so comforting. And Simba, thanks for that hourly breakdown of a quit.  I am glad to have a place to come.   I can do this.  I can do this.  I can do this. 

• Like 2

It sure feels wonderful to know I am not alone and that others truly do understand my crazy thoughts.  Your words are so comforting. And Simba, thanks for that hourly breakdown of a quit.  I am glad to have a place to come.   I can do this.  I can do this.  I can do this. 

You absolutely can do this...keep reading and keep posting!

hello. your name suxs. Change it now. ask doorbell or Nancy for help on that. Pick something that reflects you. or a real nickname you use. we are all friends here so no reason to hide with a bad handle. mine has its reasons and is not a cool as Burrito makes it out to be. I think one a day was a good start. Now decide to get off the nicotine totally. sure its hard. not impossible, but if it was easy i think more people would quit and start again and again. So get edumecaded and learn NOPE. come back and post here when you got what NOPE is! until then you are entering the quit half armed. so to list

1 new name

2 read until you discover Nope

3 Your moving forward

also been following these boards a few years.... what works is posting alot and following simple advice. NOPE is easier if you wrap your head around it not being difficult and any pains are growing/healing pains and beneficial to the quit. There is no fancy secret EXCEPT "keep marching".

• Like 1

Welcome nochoice!  First things first; we don't judge anybody here.  Haven't since day 1 and never will.  You can quit smoking and stay off of nicotine for the rest of your life.  There isn't anything new under the sun about this addiction (and kicking it) that we don't know and have experienced ourselves.  :)

When did you last smoke?  Even if you're smoking a cigarette right now, put it out, destroy your cigarettes, toss all the paraphernalia and this is your quit date and time.  Make your ticker here or I'll make one for you.  Start your own thread.  Scratch that.  I've created your own thread so you can keep a daily log/journal of how your quit is going.  Members will check it and provide support and encourage you to never take another puff.  Your thread is here.

A recent thread by a member with a long quit, Cristóbal, is one that you should read right now.  A Crave Is NEVER A Command.

We have a huge video library containing most, if not all, of Joel Spitzer's videos on quitting smoking.  Start here, Day One of your quit and watch as many as you can.  Re-watch until you have a full grasp on what this addiction is and how we must beat it by being smarter than it, not stronger than it.  Below are a couple of videos to watch right now.

Be Proud That You Quit Smoking

Video discusses the importance of being proud of yourself when you are first quitting smoking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxnCA7fBNs&list=PL8EB359C247D3FE6C&index=15

I'll Have To Use Willpower For The Rest Of My Life Not To Smoke

Most people overestimate how much of a battle staying smoke free will be once they quit smoking. This video discusses how people will generally stop thinking about smoking and not need to exercise any extensive use of willpower in order to maintain their quits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R71uQfy9nu0

Quitting Smoking Is A Simple Process

Quitting smoking is really a simple process. However, "simple" does not always mean "easy".  This video explains the difference between the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORKbH6Ja8Q8

Terrible 3s

Video discussing why people "may" have problems at three day and three month marks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTIr3UEez1w&list=PL4F05C03D0F9B86DB&index=11

One more...

Why I Recommend Cranberry Juice When First Quitting Smoking

Video discusses how cranberry juice can help people when first quitting smoking, but that it use is only helpful during the initial withdrawal period that lasts only 72 hours or less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVkuOU7MBjQ

No judging here, a number of us have been every kind of smoker from full on sick to our lungs to the 1 a dayer...non smoking is absolutely my favourite :)

I think it helped me to know that a craving was not a physical pain in any way, just a very uncomfortable mental thought. For some reason that made me think - smoking WAS hurting me, quitting just felt emotionally tough for a while. When I balanced those two out the smoking became a really silly plan and then I followed the videos. Whyquit.com stories and posted irrational and emotional posts for what felt like forever to let the guys here support me. 

The "tricks". Believe in yourself and that you are already quit as you've put out your last cigarette. Don't overthink, one day or moment at a time. Read and learn, this is a mental confrontation so get yourself armed and educated. Get some distraction in place if you think that will help you. Maybe a list of what you hope to achieve by not smoking or just reasons you don't want to smoke anymore and keep it with you as a reminder.

Then relax and enjoy, because some is pretty easy and not smoking is easier then smoking...you don't even have to do anything to be a non smoker. 

x

• Like 1

Welcome aboard nochoice.  You won't be judged harshly here, this Train is full of nicotine addicts.

As for those "crazy thoughts"...crazy thinking is par for the course during those early days of a quit.  It's the duality of quitting.  I remember reading about all the negative effects smoking has on our bodies.  The long list of carcinogenic chemicals contained in each cigarette.  The ways in which the addiction enslaves the smoker.  And then thinking to myself: cigarettes are awful, but I could sure go for one right about now!  Addiction and reason are in a constant struggle for your mind and body.

The good news is: a successful quit is a simple matter of making the choice to refrain from sticking a cigarette in your mouth and lighting it on fire.  Regardless of what thoughts or impulses you may have in the current moment, if you don't smoke you are doing everything needed to become a successful quitter.  It is a simple process that yields great rewards.

The journey is well worth any bumps in the path along the way.  Enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

trying to stay busy with 'No brainer" things....cooking, cleaning, walking, eating (not good), pacing the floors.   my mental concentration is low.  I have photos to edit and books to read, which at this moment seems way to BIG for me to do.  I am going to be kind to myself without the pressure of producing a lot in the next few days.  ugh....is it time for bed yet??? 

• Like 4

trying to stay busy with 'No brainer" things....cooking, cleaning, walking, eating (not good), pacing the floors.   my mental concentration is low.  I have photos to edit and books to read, which at this moment seems way to BIG for me to do.  I am going to be kind to myself without the pressure of producing a lot in the next few days.  ugh....is it time for bed yet??? 

That's how it starts.  You just keep going and get through those initial days of the quit.  Your body is healing and your mind is adjusting and adapting.  That mental fog will clear with a bit more time.

Quitting truly is one of the best things you can ever do for yourself.  Buckle up, knuckle down, and drive on.

Welcome nochoice, and congratulations on your decision to quit.  I can't add anymore to all the wonderful suggestions that have already been posted.  It is wonderful knowing we aren't alone in this as you can already see!  You CAN do this...you ARE doing it!  :)  

• Like 1

Hello and Welcome. I too decided to find a forum and support group to help stay quit and it has certainly made a difference. Keep up the good work and keep busy. You can do this one day passes then two then a week then two weeks and then you feel like wow I am officially nicotine free how cool is that :-)

• Like 2

Hello Nochoice!

We have all been where you are, and you have entered a very non-judgemental forum.  Getting through those first few days and couple weeks will have challenges, but you can do it!   

Know that the urges will pass, when they come, embrace them, you know what it is, it's that nicotine wanting to get back in your system.  don't let it back in. Come here and post something.  We can help you distract yourself and stay away from those nasty cancer sticks!

Check in with us as often as you can.  We're here for you!