How I would get people to stop

bakon

The smell. I would have used the money to educate the kids on how bad a smoker smells compared to others. Nobody likes to be the stinky kid and I think it would work better than trying to scare you might catch a disease. Or will definitely catch a disease when older. Nobody in teen years cares about age 30. But they don't want to stink

Nose doesn't work when a smoker. That is so weird. How bad I think the people who do smoke stink now. I never knew. I did know some people hated the actual smoke and would complain. But I didn't know it lingered and was a stink cloud around me.

I can smell it further than anyone I know. I can spot a smoker after the smell. Grey skin or yellow teeth. Sometimes their clothes give them away. But all that can be hidden now. Smell- can't take back a fart either. Smell gives them away.

At work I enter houses and apartments all day. Some smokers are so bad I can smell it outside. Then I have to go in. I usually find a way to get them outside. Not always can this be done. And that smell has a taste to the air. The thick yellow air and the tacky substance sticks to my clothes and nose hairs. Longer than five minutes and it cants be blown off with leaving the windows down. I have to change uniforms to get it off which rarely happens. Just stuck with it until I am done. Couple of smokers at work too. They stink up the room when they arrive. No smoking inside so it wears off.

Saw a guy hurried into a store today. Wife a step behind him. He stops at door, does the last long draw and throws it. Huge cloud blowing as she walks through it and he holds door for her. What a nice guy. Bet he hot boxes her under the covers with farts too.

• Like 1

No one wants to be the stinky kid.  They're all vaping bubble gum and tutti-frutti nowadays.

I knew in theory I smelled but I had no idea it was so putrid and lingering.  So embarrassing.  I'm not around it much now; passing people in the stores, riding an elevator, etc.  I now keep a couple bottles of essential oils in my desk drawer and when the smokers are in the area, I quietly dab a bit on my nose.  It helps.  

I want to get my teeth whitened at the dentist's office, not those strip things or trays but the 10 min bright light thing. 

• Like 1

My long life friend still smokes...

When I first quit..she threw her dummy out..she had lost her smoking buddy...I fear she will die a smoker ..

When I go into her house..the stink is so over powering..the air is so heavy... My eyes start to water...awful..

I had no idea..I spent most of my life in a constant stink..

When I open my front door..it's a breath of fresh Air...when we smoked we believed no one could smell it..denial...

• Like 1

I wouldn't have a clue how to get folk to stop. Hints and them seeing your new life style (holidays, not checking where you can go for a puff every five minutes) might motivate?

I think it's more a case of when they want to be there to reassure and support them. No one could motivate or get me to stop in all the thirty years. Although Lee did motivate me after yet another phase of nagging (he's a never even tried one) and I did eventually master my sticky quit. However I don't think nagging does work and it didn't work the other hundred times I received it. Just this once I was obviously ready and 'really' wanted to quit with warts and all.

• Like 1

One line: a person must be motivated. You can't get someone to stop. THEY NEED TO WANT TO QUIT.
I quit because I'm absolutely motivated, days before I started champix I hated the smoking. Normally when you use champix you smoke the first week, so the champix can 'work in', you quit the second week, and I was so DONE with smoking I threw the whole schedule out. I took the champix and it helps with the withdraws and it makes it a little less hard... but I was DONE! Screw the schedule! that is motivation, my friends!

People need to WANT it. REALLY!!! The fact my psych meds were sorted out and I am stabilized now is a pro too. People want to quit. For real. The big deal.

• Like 2

Nose doesn't work when a smoker. That is so weird. How bad I think the people who do smoke stink now. I never knew. I did know some people hated the actual smoke and would complain. But I didn't know it lingered and was a stink cloud around me.

The thick yellow air and the tacky substance sticks to my clothes and nose hairs. Longer than five minutes and it cants be blown off with leaving the windows down. I have to change uniforms to get it off which rarely happens. 

Can totally relate to this.  I find myself holding my breath when passing smokers or when going in to stores ('cos store entrances reek of smoke!).  And I hate going to smokers houses ... I'm lucky I can arrange it so I go straight home to shower and change. 

• Like 1

I think most smokers who have smoked a long time want to stop and likely have tried. I do believe a quit site of support is the best way to reach out . The first step is theirs but when we share our success,  the seed is planted .

"Hope" and "understanding "from previous smokers who are succeeding is testimony to those who think they can't quit .

To kids I think there has to be more education in schools on the dangers of smoking.   ( Testimony is powerful ) . In my opinion this is where we need to start if we have any hope at all at beating BT ;  It begins with us.   

"ex smokers "! 

• Like 2

You can't get people to stop.

They can only stop themselves.

To stop themselves they need to change themselves.

...and change is the easiest, and hardest thing to do.

The easiest and hardest thing - true words. Life is about choices. x

• Like 1

I remember when my grandmother died over 30 years ago and we went over to clean her house.  I grabbed a roll of paper towels and a bottle of Windex to clean the windows and started with the window in the front door.  My white paper towel turned a deep yellow as I wiped that glass.  Every window was like this; coated with a thick layer of gunk from her cigarette smoking.  Remove a picture from a wall and the wallpaper behind it looked new.  Everything had a nasty coating on it.  A teenager I was and yet I continued to smoke, not caring at all about what was transpiring before my eyes, not to mention the health problems my grandmother had from cigarette smoking and alcoholism, the last of which was responsible for her early death.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever been successful at getting anybody to quit smoking.  Everybody that I know who quit smoking did so because they decided they had enough.  I don't think I could convince anybody to quit because the addict has to be a part of his/her own rescue.

• Like 1

I just think if they really knew the smell, smokers know only when its actually in front of them on fire, but if they knew the odor that follows them, the bad breath, the smell of their clothes as they walk by, nobody wants to be smelly grandma or smelly guy who sits near me at work, the nose just doesn't work. So they don't know the true smell. Its a shame the nose is dead for them.