Anyone out there?

Marlene

I decided to throw on the patch less than 21 hours ago. I've gone through a half bag of lolly pops, a pack of gum, and have cleaned everything in site. This is so much harder this time around. I'm questioning if I can make it a full day :(

• Like 1

Of course you can make it a full day!  Do you think the patch is helping you or keeping you wanting to smoke?  The way to stop the cravings is to get nicotine completely out of your body.  You're prolonging this and as long as you have the patch, you're keeping the nicotine alive and active.

Do you recommend going cold turkey?

I didn't use any aides the last time I tried a few years ago and the detox was horrible. I thought that this time around, I would try to wean off gradually.

My biggest issue is the physical action of smoking. I was hoping that the lolly pops and gum would help with that, but they aren't.

Absolutely!  NRT works for some and we support the use of NRT, provided the goal is to get off of ALL nicotine sooner rather than later.  I see you as suffering and most likely because of the that patch.  I could be wrong, but that almost always is the case because you're prolonging the inevitable which to become nicotine free to beat this addiction.  :)

Marlene, please start here watching this series by Joel.  If you have any cigarettes, destroy them.  Don't keep a single cigarette.  Get rid of them all!

In the meantime, a few videos to help sort out what you're going through.

Prolonging Nicotine Withdrawal

Video explains how the 72 hour withdrawal symptoms that I discuss in many of my videos and articles is only applicable to true cold turkey quitters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHx12A8-mFg&feature=youtu.be

Cold Turkey Quitting Redefined

Video discusses that when you see or hear news reports related to studies comparing cold turkey quitting to other methods of cessation, the studies may actually have nothing to do with cold turkey quitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMA0OhCYVo0&feature=em-upload_owner

Quitting By Gradual Withdrawal

While many people assume that quitting by gradual withdrawal or cutting down sounds like an easier approach, it just results in a prolonged and often more painful state of withdrawal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvkxt_GMG-0&index=14&list=PL0F23FAFB942E402A

The Law Of Addiction (Updated Video)

"Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbOeOvA940U

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice!

I'll give it a try and not put on a new patch.

I can do it....

I can do it......

I can do it..........

Of course you can!  In the meantime, it's imperative that you learn as much as you can about this addiction and commit to never take another puff, ever.  We beat this addiction by understanding what's going on and being smarter than it, not stronger than it.

Please watch the above videos as well as the videos in the link.  Being proactive and active in your quit will ensure your success!  :)

Hi Marlene..glad you found this wonderful place...

There is tons of stuff to read and great videos to watch..

Educate yourself...this is how you fight this addiction..

Stay close. Post often..take the daily pledge....

Congrats on your great decision to free yourself...

• Like 1

I think it's such a shock to start with - that you need to acknowledge that, it's a shock but a very good one! Your house will be lovely and clean if you're using cleaning as a coping technique too :)  Just allow yourself to run with it, don't judge, do whatever works. The thought of wanting to smoke is only minutes long, the damage of continueing to smoke is much larger! Use distraction techniques. Each hour is something to be proud of. x

• Like 1

Marlene I'm close to 48 hours and I'm really could sobb my eyes out. Or eat furniture (or candy) but I won't caz sweets only makes it worse so I bought a new Christmas tree (I'm Christmas freak around here) and I was able to smoke 2 packs in 24 and a half hours two days ago: BUT I stick with NOPE

• Like 1

Welcome Marlene,

You must expect some discomfort, you are dealing with a dangerous addiction.

The withdrawals will not kill you but, may be uncomfortable.

Learn how to distract yourself and power through and reward yourself at every opportunity.

You are on a journey, and one that will bring many unexpected benefits.

Commit to Not ONE Puff Ever ( NOPE ) and you will have a successful quit.

You have made one of the best decisions of your life.

This post, 10 ways to use this forum to help yourself quit smoking, may be helpful to you.

Congratulations, Marlene.

S

• Like 1

Welcome aboard the Train Marlene.  I don't have much to add as you have already received some great advice here.  Educate yourself about the true nature of nicotine addiction.  Commit to the quit.  And never lose sight of the fact that every bit of agitation experienced in the early days will eventually pay dividends that make the effort worth it many times over.

It's natural to wonder in the early days of a quit if you can be successful.  The answer to those questions is unequivocally, absolutely, positively YES...yes you can.

Congratulations.  Enjoy your newfound freedom from cigarettes.

• 4 months later...

I use the patch and have quit for 2 years. The key to the patch for me was not to take it off until i felt ready. That was 3 months. Cold turkey would only work for me if I could live in an isolated cabin for 2 weeks. I can't live with people and go cold turkey!! It's not fair to those people

• Like 2