Day 3, how can I do this???

SandiW

Morning of day 3. Withdraw symptoms are horrific. I keep telling myself it will be worth it. I have read, and read and read.

All the 'tips' of drinking water, 'work through the cravings' etc.......ugggggggg. I feel dizzy/ lightheaded. Is this normal?

• Like 1

Hello Sandi,

Of course You can do this !

Hold tight to your resolve and READ MORE.

These threads may help you

Your First Days Nicotine Free

and

10 Ways to Effectively Use This Forum

You have come to the right place.

Power through the craves and allow for some discomfort.

You are changing your life !

Congratulations .

and Yes, your symptoms are completely normal.

• Like 1

Yes, it's normal for some of us during those first few days.  But trust me, it will ease up.  Addicts coming off a drug is never pretty, but so so worth it.  Keep doing all those self-care things you're doing, keep in the forethought of your mind that you'd rather have the freedoms granted a non-smoker....just stay with your desire to quit for those initial days.  

We've allllllllll been through it.  Some of us have a weaker constitution than you, but we made it.  Minute by minute, just commit to your commitment to quit.  NO OPTION.  

And stay close to this board.  People will help you.

• Like 1

Hi Sandi..

Welcome aboard... Congrats on your quit.. And takin back your life...

We have all been where you are today...

It will take time for your body to adjust ...its been fed a poison for a long time..

Keep reading...understand this horrible addiction..it will help you fight...

Stay close..post often...we will help you through it...

• Like 1

How can you do this ?   

Sweetie, you ARE doing it.  You're doing it right now.  

And the way you KEEP doing it is the same way you do everything else.  One day at a time.  All you have to do is today.  That's it.  Just today.  

The fuzziheadedness will go away.  I promise.  It's sucks going through it but the end is so much better.  

Keep your eyes on the prize.  A new and healthier YOU !!!

And there are some videos that Suzerac posted.  Joel's videos..... watch them.  They will help you find your strength when you don't feel like you have any.

• Like 3

It's normal.  It's also not fun.  Your body has to adjust to being without nicotine.  Hang tough.

Walk, chew gum, rock out.  Whatever it takes to get through the day.

Don't forget the reasons your quitting.   If you persevere your future self will thank you.

• Like 1

Morning of day 3. Withdraw symptoms are horrific. I keep telling myself it will be worth it. I have read, and read and read.

All the 'tips' of drinking water, 'work through the cravings' etc.......ugggggggg. I feel dizzy/ lightheaded. Is this normal?

Tuck your chin and keep going.  As long as you don't smoke, you'll never have to go through this again and it's only temporary.  Most people can put up with just about anything for a certain amounts of time (think of POW's and years spent in torture!) for a lot less than what you're getting for quitting smoking.  :)

Be Proud That You Quit Smoking

Video discusses the importance of being proud of yourself when you are first quitting smoking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxnCA7fBNs&list=PL8EB359C247D3FE6C&index=15

Disorientation That May Occur When You First Quit Smoking

What many people find to be the most worrisome symptom when they are first quitting smoking is a general level of disorientation. The effect is usually due to a drop in blood sugar that often occurs in the first few days after quitting. The resources below gives suggestions on how to minimize the effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu7hsiOdlDM

How do you do it?  You just do it and keep going.  The fog clears.  Withdrawal weakens with time.  A little mental discomfort in the early days is a small price to pay for a lifetime of freedom.

Congratulations Sandi, you've made a great decision to free yourself from cigarettes.  Also, welcome aboard the Train.  You'll find plenty of support and answers to any questions you may have here.

With time, you will appreciate this process immensely.  Enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the positive comment's, the video's! I made it through day 3 {how, I have no idea} LOL. It was painful!

Today is my first day back at work. HUGE adjustment to my morning routine today. But it was not as bad as I 'imagined' it would be. It was not really what I wanted to do, but I did it.

I look at y'all banner's that say how long you have been a non smoker and the quotes that are with them. Those are a big help also!

Thank you to ALL of you!!!

xo

• Like 4

When I get home tonight, I will help you make a banner. I never really believed in them but now, it's kinda cool to see what I haven't smoked.

And right this minute.... I have not smoked 868 cigarettes and saved $325.48. And I have saved 3 days, 14 hours and 47 seconds of my life. (The banner below is not COMPLETELY accurate as it uses a different time zone but it's close enough).

I hope I don't get the flu on those 3 days. That would really suck..... Lol

But it was not as bad as I 'imagined' it would be.

It usually isn't.  The anticipation leading up to the quit is often more overwhelming than the quit itself.  Paralysis by analysis led many of us to continue smoking even when we knew it was time to quit.

It was not really what I wanted to do, but I did it.

That's how it gets done.  Motivation is unreliable and wavering.  Commitment will give you what you need to plow through the rough spots even when you're not feeling it.

Buckle up, knuckle down, and drive on.

• Like 1

Paralysis by analysis led many of us to continue smoking even when we knew it was time to quit.

What a terrific way to describe EXACTLY what is happening. The 'paralysis by analysis'....yes, I have 'imagined/come up with/ believe' every scenario possible. I was so afraid of today. Monday {after being off work Friday}. Quit time was last Thursday evening.

I was afraid of how I would make it through just the morning.....coffee=cigarette. Break at 9:00am = cigarette. Then lunch, I go home for lunch and thought PRIOR how I would occupy that time. 

So, I ate, then I laid on my sofa, set the alarm on my phone for 30 minutes and just rested. I did not sleep, but kept telling myself, "I can do this, I won't die without a cigarette, but damn I sure want one". And a few minutes passed then thought's of other thing's. 

Today has been tough, but do-able. Sometimes I question whether this was the right time to quit. But when is is NOT the right time? 

Thanks for your feedback and support. Almost an hour to go and I made it through my first Monday as a non-smoker............ high five!  :pleasantry:

• Like 3

What a terrific way to describe EXACTLY what is happening. The 'paralysis by analysis'....yes, I have 'imagined/come up with/ believe' every scenario possible. I was so afraid of today. Monday {after being off work Friday}. Quit time was last Thursday evening.

I was afraid of how I would make it through just the morning.....coffee=cigarette. Break at 9:00am = cigarette. Then lunch, I go home for lunch and thought PRIOR how I would occupy that time. 

So, I ate, then I laid on my sofa, set the alarm on my phone for 30 minutes and just rested. I did not sleep, but kept telling myself, "I can do this, I won't die without a cigarette, but damn I sure want one". And a few minutes passed then thought's of other thing's. 

Today has been tough, but do-able. Sometimes I question whether this was the right time to quit. But when is is NOT the right time? 

Thanks for your feedback and support. Almost an hour to go and I made it through my first Monday as a non-smoker............ high five!  :pleasantry:

I absolutely LOVE this post !!!!

Thank you Tiff. Yeah, Day 6, who would have thought??? 

And for all you dear supporter's, this has been not only HELL WEEK from not smoking, but also HELL WEEK as my mother was diagnosed with Lewy Bodies Dementia in Feb of this year. She is 77. Retired 3 year's ago from NASA after a 38 year career.

I have three 'brother's', who have basically been absent from mother's life {our dad passed away 19 year's ago}. When mother was diagnosed, she had done her Will and necessary paper's previously done, and had listed me as 'Later in Life Guardian' in case of incapacitation. So in March I filed the paper's etc.

Only to have my millionaire narcissistic Asshole 'brother' fight me! Why? Simply because he can? Because of guilt? Because of now wanting to make up for the past 19 year's? Who knows...but $160K later, ANOTHER court date tomorrow, I am beyond stressed. 

Will a cigarette fix the stress? NOPE.  Does my mind tell me it will? YEP. So Mind over Mind! 

Sandi,

Separate your quit from your life.  The 2 do not go hand in hand.  

It is completely and totally separate.  

No matter what goes on in your life..... your quit is something that completely stands alone.  Kinda like a teddy bear.  Imagine holding and protecting this teddy bear.  

You dont' want ANYTHING to affect this teddy bear.  Court dates, brothers, taxes, work....nothing can hurt this teddy bear.  That is your quit.  And in time, you will see how much LESS stress you have because you have taken one of the most toxic things out of your life.  It's amazing.  

Keep going.  You're right where you should be.  

And I have no clue why the lines on my post look like this.  

• Like 2

Yeah, Day 6, who would have thought??? 

I love when this happens!

Each success seems to solidify the quit and greases the skids so to speak.  You grow stronger and stronger.  And when you do have those tweeky moments, you can draw on your successes and know you can make it past the next hurdle.  Doing amazing Sandi!