When Did You Have Confidence In Your Quit ?

Sazerac

20 hours ago, Sslip said:

Honestly, 8 months in I'm still not confident, but I'm doing it. It is getting easier with the passing of time, so one day soon will be the turning point. 

I am 8 months also and agree with what Sslip states.   At this point I am somewhat comfortable with my quit but not totally confident.  I feel I have much to learn still with 44 years of smoking behind me so I know there are still hidden triggers that I have to on guard for.  I waiting to get through the next month or so (big time of smoking "enjoyment" from this time of year, end of summer beginning of fall).  I fully expect to make the turning point -- but taking it one day at a time and realizing how far I have come!!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Martian5 said:

I am 8 months also and agree with what Sslip states.   At this point I am somewhat comfortable with my quit but not totally confident.  I feel I have much to learn still with 44 years of smoking behind me so I know there are still hidden triggers that I have to on guard for.  I waiting to get through the next month or so (big time of smoking "enjoyment" from this time of year, end of summer beginning of fall).  I fully expect to make the turning point -- but taking it one day at a time and realizing how far I have come!!

For myself it was over a year when i got drunk and had no urge to smoke, i was afraid of alcohol that it would trigger me wanting to smoke. I had quit in the past which i had mentioned but i was also avoiding certain triggers. After meeting the triggers head on and flat out saying NO which we do our pledge of NOPE on here i felt confident. To you and sslip, at times even now for myself certain things pop up and I just learned not to reach for them. Thats the difference for me, I'll go for a walk or work out and accepted i had that addict brain and you know what ... Having an addict brain is OK. We're all human and are born to make mistakes..  @Sslip

• Like 6

I just wanted to add something for you peeps who are 7 or 8 months or even a year into your quits. I''m a year and a half in now and I can tell you for sure, I feel A LOT more confident now than I did at even a year so ........ if you are still feeling those small occasional moments of uncertainty, it does still get better as you build even more time into your quit.

I just went through a whole pile of life crap in one month and the stress levels were very high for some time yet not once did the thought of having a smoke enter my mind in terms of making things better - not once!! I can't say the same would have been true at even 1 year quit so ........ it does still keep getting better and better the longer you just say NOPE :) 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

I just wanted to add something for you peeps who are 7 or 8 months or even a year into your quits. I''m a year and a half in now and I can tell you for sure, I feel A LOT more confident now than I did at even a year so ........ if you are still feeling those small occasional moments of uncertainty, it does still get better as you build even more time into your quit.

I just went through a whole pile of life crap in one month and the stress levels were very high for some time yet not once did the thought of having a smoke enter my mind in terms of making things better - not once!! I can't say the same would have been true at even 1 year quit so ........ it does still keep getting better and better the longer you just say NOPE :) 

How old are you reci? I think i just read your mom is 98 so i'm assuming you're in your 70's?

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/11/2016 at 8:11 PM, Sazerac said:

I remember having some curiosity about whether I would stay quit.

More out of interest, really, rather than any real doubt.

For certain,  I did not relish repeating Hell week.  That will never happen again.  Ever.

I gained confidence at one week, two weeks and a big boost at one month, then two.

At Three Months I was fully realizing that I would never smoke again.

I might still have some struggles but, the die was cast.

When did you have confidence in your quit ?

Self- confidence and confidence in your quit

grows exponentially with every trigger and crave you beat.

I was left with a profound trust in myself after years of carelessness and bravado. 

Still, I know I am an addict and one puff away from relapse.

Therefore, I do not nudge the addict awake or give the addict any opportunity

but, after five years of freedom,  the voice of the addict is notably mute.

It is a peaceful freedom.

So, if you are young in your quit and feel weary of the struggle, hold on. 

You won't be thinking about smoking or not smoking forever.

I promise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some really great responses here.  In my own case, it was probably 11 months or so that I was really convinced that I was non/ex-smoker (as opposed to convincing myself that I was a non/ex-smoker).  That said, while I haven't had a single craving for or even a passing thought of smoking a cigarette for well over fifteen years, I remain (quietly and gently) vigilant.  The addiction scares me and always will.  

Christian99

17+ Years Quit

Edited by Christian99
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have good confidence that I will reach the one year mark. Its the straightforward confidence of NOPE.

But. That doesnt mean I am free of the thoughts, the many addict voices, the rotten days, the 'will this ever end-s'. Still there, though not at all what it was.

I am sure that maintaining my quit through some dramatic life events like the death of a loved one and breakup doubled confidence.

I long for happier days and I know that by the time they arive, the excess of addiction has made room for a more grounded me.

Yes, I am confident about quitting and it means the world to me to be able to say that!

Edited by MLMR
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

I was thinking about just this the other day ... Someone asked me if I ever saw myself smoking again..only in my nightmares. I mean this is it people, I couldn't be any more confident in my quit than I am now. I don't even get the occasional twinge of want anymore. I love being free.

Essentially I got meself some knowledge and I got meself some power. 

• Like 8

^^ Yes, same here. It's funny how as newbies we read these things written by people who quit well before us and we have such trouble grasping the concept that as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, this will be us in time if we just stay with the quit process.We wrongly think that we are somehow different from other quitters and might not find that peaceful place in our quit. You're not different either folks. You're just like the rest of us and completely able to find that nonsmoker's zen place :) 

• Like 8

I carnt imagine smoking now ...even when I went through losing my hubby last year ,I never once thought of a cigerette...it just didn't enter my mind ...

An that's after smoking 52 years ...I am so confident in my quit ...

These posts remind me of the Rope thread ....your down there looking up at the quits people have ahead of you Before you know it ...you will be up there too...

• Like 7

The confidence grows.  At first, it looks like nothing is happening...and the focus is on minute by minute, one crave at a time

but, soon...very soon you realize, 'hey, I quit smoking !'  

I loved the neuro-dynamics of this...how with each crave conquered, that individual brain receptor was changed back to it's original purpose sans nicotine.

The biological magic is still intriguing to me. This link has some great videos embedded.

How Nicotine Works

• Like 6

On February 21st, 2020, when I realized there was a pandemic under way, I quit. I was sure I'd stay quit, at least, until the pandemic was past. I hoped I'd stay quit after that, but it was "hope," not, "I'm sure."

The day I became certain this is a life-long change was recent, May 29, 2020. That was the day I purchased my first shares of stock. That was a high I'll never forget. When the pandemic is behind us, I'll still have my new hobby to enjoy. If I smoked, there'd be no hobby. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Kate18 said:

On February 21st, 2020, when I realized there was a pandemic under way, I quit. I was sure I'd stay quit, at least, until the pandemic was past. I hoped I'd stay quit after that, but it was "hope," not, "I'm sure."

The day I became certain this is a life-long change was recent, May 29, 2020. That was the day I purchased my first shares of stock. That was a high I'll never forget. When the pandemic is behind us, I'll still have my new hobby to enjoy. If I smoked, there'd be no hobby. 

Money Wasted On Cigarettes

• Like 3

I am going to go watch the Tobacco War Documentaries.  I read this thread to see if I could find an answer for myself - I know a couple of things when I quit in October 2019 - After about 8 weeks - I felt good, strong and no way was I going to smoke. But I did 3 months later. I am working through this to try to ensure it does not happen again. I don't know if you will all understand this - but the constant struggle between living NOPE daily - to Living NOPE for life is a problem for me. My junkie brain constantly thinks of smoking as a solution etc. I have read enough and been quit long enough (multiple times) to know that the daily NOPE will get you through days, weeks and months - I KNOW THAT - my problem is looking too far in the future - too soon. the more time I spend on this forum I am realizing I really need to quit for a whole year - get through each season and holiday ( I made it through Christmas this past year) but I have to admit - I had some smoking troubles and not always a happy Christmas spirit - But I did make it and through New Years and I was really starting to love myself for keeping the quit - but I still threw it away. I remember the day - I DECIDED to get a pack and only have a couple a day - and we all know where that leads. I know I need support - I need to use the education and knowledge I have to WIN the battle. I have a horrible cough it was back in a couple of weeks really. and I feel gross by the end of the day. 

So here is the problem - I am writing all of this and reading and watching and it feels good to be in control - but the thoughts pop in - go get a pack at lunch time - or after school. BUT I WONT TODAY because I pledged I wouldn't. But I am wondering if any of you felt this way after 3, 6, 9 months - doubted yourself - I do because I have been here before... I have to figure out how to make this one different - this one stick. But for now - I will not smoke a cigarette. 

• Like 6

Yes @HeatherDianne, a LOT of us felt that way at 3, 6, and 9 months quit. That's why taking the One Year Pledge helps so much. It truly takes a full year to get through MOST of the triggers and craves. Use us, keep asking the questions you have, take it one day at a time and don't look too far into the future. That's why we NOPE everyday and not just once and done!

Each time you think you want to get in your car and go for a cig come here instead and post. We will knock some sense into you and talk you off the ledge. But it only works if you truly want it to.

• Like 4

@jillar You may have noticed I have posted pretty regularly today ---- all I want to do is smoke - day one - And here I am a few hours in - I relish in that... for now.... a lot of the video links are outdated - but I am watching to keep me on this path - it is the path I want to be on......

• Like 4

You're doing great Heather, I was glued to my forum 24/7 my first year lol. I really believe that being surrounded by people who got what I was going through really helped me get and keep my forever quit. 

About the outdated videos, do you mean the links don't work? We'll have to take a look at them and update if that's the case

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HeatherDianne said:

But I am wondering if any of you felt this way after 3, 6, 9 months - doubted yourself - I do because I have been here before... I have to figure out how to make this one different - this one stick. But for now - I will not smoke a cigarette. 

Look HD,

Nicotine addiction changed our DNA. 

We will always, for our lifetime, be one puff away from igniting our addiction. 

Face this fact.

It is just the way it is.

The NOPE I pledge everyday with myself isn't done with the fervor of a new quit but it is not done with a smidgen of complacency.

I will be an addict forever

but, because I made the choice to put the addiction to sleep

I can be also be a free person FOREVER

These are simple truths that you must accept.  You can choose all that addiction entails, of course.  But, WHY ?  You aren't an idiot.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HeatherDianne said:

I am going to go watch the Tobacco War Documentaries.  I read this thread to see if I could find an answer for myself - I know a couple of things when I quit in October 2019 - After about 8 weeks - I felt good, strong and no way was I going to smoke. But I did 3 months later. I am working through this to try to ensure it does not happen again. I don't know if you will all understand this - but the constant struggle between living NOPE daily - to Living NOPE for life is a problem for me. My junkie brain constantly thinks of smoking as a solution etc. I have read enough and been quit long enough (multiple times) to know that the daily NOPE will get you through days, weeks and months - I KNOW THAT - my problem is looking too far in the future - too soon. the more time I spend on this forum I am realizing I really need to quit for a whole year - get through each season and holiday ( I made it through Christmas this past year) but I have to admit - I had some smoking troubles and not always a happy Christmas spirit - But I did make it and through New Years and I was really starting to love myself for keeping the quit - but I still threw it away. I remember the day - I DECIDED to get a pack and only have a couple a day - and we all know where that leads. I know I need support - I need to use the education and knowledge I have to WIN the battle. I have a horrible cough it was back in a couple of weeks really. and I feel gross by the end of the day. 

So here is the problem - I am writing all of this and reading and watching and it feels good to be in control - but the thoughts pop in - go get a pack at lunch time - or after school. BUT I WONT TODAY because I pledged I wouldn't. But I am wondering if any of you felt this way after 3, 6, 9 months - doubted yourself - I do because I have been here before... I have to figure out how to make this one different - this one stick. But for now - I will not smoke a cigarette. 

here are some links

I Will Not Smoke Today

One Day At A Time

Never Take Another Puff

• Like 1

I carnt recommend watching those Tobacco Documentaries enough ....

They changed my whole way of thinking ... I was so angry I let these people control me for so many decades.

I vowed never to give them any penny of my very hard earned money .....

That was the day my Light bulb went on ....my magic moment ....

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

I carnt recommend watching those Tobacco Documentaries enough ....

They changed my whole way of thinking ... I was so angry I let these people control me for so many decades.

I vowed never to give them any penny of my very hard earned money .....

That was the day my Light bulb went on ....my magic moment ....

Me too, Doreen ! These documentaries had a profound impact on me.

The anger fueled my resolve to quit and stay quit.

Here they are Tobacco Wars Documentaries

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...