Got my A1C lab results and...

Sirius

Lab tests show I'm pre-diabetic.

Not surprising.  Sedentary lifestyle, overweight, carb addict. 

So looks like it's rabbit food from here on out.  

No more waffles and pancackes.  

That's right, take the bottom layer of the food pyramid and toss

it in the dumpster.

Thus begins my next leap forward.    A journey that has me

quitting the smokes and now I journey back to my original fighting weight.

Seems like once you hit 50 you have to seriously take care of yourself

or your body goes down hill very quickly indeed.

• Like 3

40 days later I'm down 15 pounds.  To be sure, much of this is "water" weight.   On the other hand it's better then gaining 15 pounds.  

Gotta remember this is only for the rest of my life.  :huh: 

All change involves a bit of discomfort, but I understand administering injections of insulin is no fun either.

Is there a reason why you are resistant to Oatmeal ?

We're not talking about slop porridge here...it's a New Day, fgs. 

Real Beautiful whole Irish Oatmeal ?  A learning curve for preparation...and then bliss!

A carb that Loves you, what's not to like ? 

I'm adverse to grains.  Whole grains trap cholesterol; yes, but they also trap vitamins and minerals.

My food pyramid is simply, take a plate and draw a line through the middle (figuratively), everything on one side is veggies (sans potatoes). 

Everything on the other side is Meats, hard cheeses, nuts, seeds, fruit.

Basically paleo but a little more veggie.

I'll admit oatmeal isn't too bad.  It's relatively low on the glycemic index and has lots of fiber.

I'm always hesitant to give nutritional advice.  Everyone responds to dietary changes differently.  That being said, I was a carb addict as well and was slow to cut back on the carbs.  I thought my energy levels would crash if I wasn't consuming a lot of carbs.  Now, I've cut back on the carbs and started consuming more healthy fats.  Fatty fish like salmon, tuna, and trout.  Nuts.  Hard boiled eggs.  And coconut oil can be mixed into a wide variety of foods.

Since increasing my intake of healthy fats, I have more energy than I ever did when I was eating a lot of carbs.  I never feel hungry and while I don't weigh myself, I am noticing that I'm getting leaner without any dramatic increase in workout time.

Just something to think about.  Good luck.

• Like 3

Wait!  Hold on there!  Nobody said anything about exercising.  Let's not get carried away and go all "Rocky" on me.

That "Rocky" regimen is no joke.  It'll make you a "dangerous person."

You're gonna eat lightning and you're gonna crap thunder...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lunch today was a bit of Colby Longhorn cheese, Thin Leaf Huckleberries, Assorted Nuts, and a Red Bell Pepper.

Been doing a lot of hiking up in the Gifford Pinchot.  BTW, This is easier when you quit smoking.  Just saying.

Hovering around 28 to 30 pounds down.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

New A1Cs report.  Was 6.4  it's now 5.8!   Cholesteral, Triglicerides, etc, etc show modest improvements.

If I hadn't quit smoking, changed out the diet and started exercising I firmly believe I would be

type 2 diabetic. 

Smoking, of course is always a contributor.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...