Choice is our freedom.  

We choose everyday for so many things,

How do you want your coffee,

what are you going to wear, what's to eat ?

Little did I realize that for 40 some odd smoking years, I choose slavery.

You couldn't have told me...it was my choice and I didn't even consider slavery or addiction.  

Smoking was just who I was.

I didn't care what y'all said or thought about me.

Looking back now, I was a perfect Slave.  An excellent addict. 

You could show me all the scary movies...tell me all the truth about Big Tobacco,

I didn't give a hoot.

I had enough money to buy another pack of smokes at the corner store

and I made sure I was Never without.  Ever. 

I probably still have a carton up in my attic with a fire ax, in case of another Katrina.

No, that's not true.

I was just up in my attic today,  checking on things.

There are medical emergency supplies and a fire ax.

There are NO cigarettes.

You know why ?

I threw them out when I had no further use for them,

when I stopped being a Slave.

Choice... choose well.

You have a beautiful Life to consider. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

More and more, I appreciate Freedom from nicotine.

Nicotine and the chemicals in cigarettes was far more invasive than I ever dreamed.

The empowerment, the commitment to personal truth has also been cathartic and transforming.

I am a much kinder and trusting person to myself.  I have genuine compassion.

I don't deny the truth out of hand because I am an addict anymore

and this has led to a metamorphosis in how I greet the world.

Frankly, quitting smoking was the best decision I ever made in my life, bar none.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yes Saz, your compassion  and kindness for my "dilemma" throughout the past couple of weeks were a bright light in the darkness I was experiencing. 

You can speak a hard truth for one who is on the cusp of hearing, yet speak that hard truth with kindness and compassion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very well put, Saz. You perfectly described what I was experiencing too: conviction that I smoke because I enjoy it and can stop any moment, and it’s harmful, yes, but I can stop so it doesn’t concern me. I can’t believe how blind I was. 

• Like 4

I quit and failed so many times that I became convinced that I was also a hopeless addict who would forever be a smoker. Thank goodness to be free of that kind of slavery. At first it was just noping my way through each day, or sometimes it was moment by moment at thebeginning. quitting is tough but it is not impossibly difficult. I'm on some lung cancer message boards and sometimes read stories about patients smoking until their literal last breath when they simply could hold a cig or inhale anymore. At least I won't go out a smoker.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...