Many successful quitters here on QTrain have quit on a whim

and just like them, I quit on a whim too.

This is what led me to making one of the most important decisions in my life on a whim...

It was after a trip to California,  
where finding a place to smoke was problematic
and I was among non smoking friends. 

For the first time,
I started seeing addiction for the slavery that it is and I acknowledged my bondage.
When slipping outside for another smoke, I glibly announced,
"I'm going out now, to shoot up."

On the aeroplane back home,  a colossal coughing fit overwhelmed me.
I had to stand in the back while attendants tapped my back and brought me water.
That was weird, I thought.  That was awful.  What was that about ?

After landing,  I didn't rush outside for a smoke before climbing into a jitney.

Something had changed.

Instead, I  thought, why don't you try and quit....you already have 6 or 7 hours clean ?  Why not ? 
Let's quit smoking for a while and see how that feels. 

I spent the next 72 hours sleeping a lot, drinking whisky

and reading all about quitting smoking, all about nicotine addiction.

After those days, as nicotine left my body,

quitting became a wager with myself,  a bargain. 

'If you don't feel better in five minutes...

maybe you'll feel better tomorrow...
if you are not feeling pretty good by next week...
or,  in a month...
see what happens after a year.'

You can always go back to smoking. You know what that feels like.

The thing was....I was feeling Free.  
While I was beating a trigger or a crave....I was learning how to be Free.
It was intoxicating !  
It was empowering !

That was where the whim became a serious enterprise.

I realized, I would conquer any obstacle to my freedom from nicotine, it was just a matter of time and choice.

Maybe you will quit on a whim.

You don't need much.  

Cool clear Water,  the fresh Air you breathe,  some Kindness towards yourself, and a Willingness To Be free.

and from our friend, Joel Spitzer,  here are resources regarding Setting Quit Dates

• Like 12

I quit on a whim too! Even though I had tried so many times and failed. Use this forum, support from these here will make you stronger!!!

Sisters of Whimsy we are, Sunnyside, and gloriously smoke free too !

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I am a planner extraordinaire.  Spreadsheets, calendars, reminders, graphs.  I planned at least 50 quits over the decades. 

That being said, I actually quit on a whim. 

I was so tired of going to bed wheezing every night and feeling shortness of breath.  One night, after my final evening cigarette, I said, "That's my last one. I'm done."  In the back of my mind I thought I'd last a maximum of 3 days.  That seemed to be my normal "quit" time limit.  I still, to this day, can't say exactly why this time I didn't start up again after day 3, or 10 or 100.  I just know that the longer I went, the more valuable my quit became to me.  I didn't want to throw it away, even when the cravings seemed unbearable.

Now I feel completely free.  

So, I'd encourage anyone who decides to spontaneously quit to go for it.  You never know if some unknown factor will kick in and make it your forever quit.

****** Of course planning, education, and support greatly improves one's chance of success.******

• Like 11

Same here. Quit on a whim in the middle of a cold, damp winter after a coughing fit while standing in a parking lot on a Saturday. Quit the next morning and have never looked back. Well, I've looked back but I never went back :)

• Like 7

I also quit on a whim (see my signature !!!). I woke up one morning, looked at the cigarettes on the table by my bed. I remember thinking I was so tired of smoking, and at that moment I made a decision to not smoke any more.

I smoked for 30 years, about 2 packs a day for most years, and had never quit, or really thought very much about quitting.

My quit was very easy. Too easy I think !!!

I did not tell my wife, who was also a smoker, but she realized very quickly I was not smoking and she quit a week after I did. 

Her quit was very difficult, but now we are both quit for almost 6 years and still help others quit. In the internet, she prefers to help in Facebook, and I prefer to help in regular forums. We also both help others personally to quit.

For both of us, it was the best decision we ever made.

If you are still smoking, and think you cannot quit, keep reading in this forum. The real truth is that all smokers can quit, even you. Once you realize that smoking is really about nicotine addiction,  and get further education about it, your fears will disappear and you will successfully find the freedom you are looking for.

Cristóbal

Edited by Cristóbal
  • Like 7

Addiction is a bitch, G,

Although my initial impetus to quit was on a whim, it took more than whimsy to succeed.  It took resolve and focus.

In hindsight, most of us will realize we could have made it easier on ourselves but, we must remember this is a pervasive Addiction .

Once our resolved is established, it is just a matter of focus and time but getting there can be grimy.

The voice of the addict is a seductive menace.

Congratulations on your quit, G. I look forward to your year celebration in the Fall.  

• Like 6

• 6 months later...

I have quit on a whim many times. It typically lasted four hours.

I had to set up a more structured plan of attack to quit. Went from 30 to 3 cigarettes a day for three days then to NONE.

Not sure how well the step-down method works for most but it is what I had to do.

• Like 6

I was planning on quitting for a long time after 3 odd attempts where I failed. One which took me to beyond 3 months.

So one fine day when I reached work, I chucked my usual morning smoke with tea that I used to have everyday, and just had the tea. 

And told myself, if you're serious, don't keep saying "One day". Make today "Day One", and that was it.

Well, it's only been 6 months, but I'm sticking to my quit like paper to glue.

• Like 5

I quit on a whim on april 1st because i kinda wanted to make it a joke and see how much i could endure. And hey i did it.

Nah i keed. We have to laugh too or else we go insane :)

Edited by StewieTech
  • Like 6

• 1 year later...
On 8/8/2016 at 8:07 PM, Sazerac said:

Many successful quitters here on QTrain have quit on a whim

and just like them, I quit on a whim too.

This is what led me to making one of the most important decisions in my life on a whim...

It was after a trip to California,  
where finding a place to smoke was problematic
and I was among non smoking friends. 

For the first time,
I started seeing addiction for the slavery that it is and I acknowledged my bondage.
When slipping outside for another smoke, I glibly announced,
"I'm going out now, to shoot up."

On the aeroplane back home,  a colossal coughing fit overwhelmed me.
I had to stand in the back while attendants tapped my back and brought me water.
That was weird, I thought.  That was awful.  What was that about ?

After landing,  I didn't rush outside for a smoke before climbing into a jitney.

Something had changed.

Instead, I  thought, why don't you try and quit....you already have 6 or 7 hours clean ?  Why not ? 
Let's quit smoking for a while and see how that feels. 

I spent the next 72 hours sleeping a lot, drinking whisky

and reading all about quitting smoking, all about nicotine addiction.

After those days, as nicotine left my body,

quitting became a wager with myself,  a bargain. 

'If you don't feel better in five minutes...

maybe you'll feel better tomorrow...
if you are not feeling pretty good by next week...
or,  in a month...
see what happens after a year.'

You can always go back to smoking. You know what that feels like.

The thing was....I was feeling Free.  
While I was beating a trigger or a crave....I was learning how to be Free.
It was intoxicating !  
It was empowering !

That was where the whim became a serious enterprise.

I realized, I would conquer any obstacle to my freedom from nicotine, it was just a matter of time and choice.

Maybe you will quit on a whim.

You don't need much.  

Cool clear Water,  the fresh Air you breathe,  some Kindness towards yourself, and a Willingness To Be free.

and here is a video from our friend, Joel Spitzer, 

and resources about

Setting Quit Dates

• Like 1