NOPE~Never/Ever/Forever

Sazerac

Some quitters may have trouble with the never/ever part of  NOPE (Not One Puff Ever).

To tell you the truth,  in the nascence of my quit, I  bluffed my way through never/ever land.
I remember Cristobal and Stuart qualifying never/ever with the caveat,  'just for today'
and that was the truth too, it is just about here and now.

As days and weeks passed,  I absorbed the truth about addiction.
Once I clearly understood addiction is forever 
and the brain's neuro pathways immediately re-connect  to addiction after one puff,
I embraced never/ever/forever.

If addiction was in my brain for the long haul,

well dammit...I was too
and I was going to Win !

I want to include our friend, Joel Spitzer's video (and a link to resources) about this subject.

He uses the phrase, 'Never Take Another Puff' as we use Not One Puff Ever

Never Take Another Puff (resources)

and the video

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Nice post!!!!

For me NOPE is my Moto now, but in those early stages. I would wake up and tell myself "I will not smoke today, tomorrow will take care of it's self"

If it was a good day great! Tick it of on the calendar as another day done!

If it was a bad day, take it hour by hour. There are lots of things you can do NOT to smoke, distract yourself and keep busy all day. At the end of that day treat yourself to something. It doesn't have to be big, something just to make you smile.

By doing this technique day after day, week after week and more, you will win this.

• Like 4

NOPE...

Smoking is not on the table....

The decision to remove smoking as an option, just take it off the table, was a major key to my success quitting.

Gets back to the whole simplicity of quitting concept yet again.  You don't have to do anything, you simply don't smoke.  That's it.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

You know, I am a commitment-phobe.

I like living spontaneously

but, after I learned and accepted, 'addiction is FOREVER'

my quit solidified and I committed to not one puff Ever, Never, Forever.

Now, the concept of commitment deserves my attention and  further investigation.

I am not afraid of it out of hand anymore because it helped me stay Nicotine FREE.

This is another benefit of quitting for me.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...
On 7/24/2016 at 7:02 AM, Sazerac said:

Some quitters may have trouble with the never/ever part of  NOPE (Not One Puff Ever).

To tell you the truth,  in the nascence of my quit, I  bluffed my way through never/ever land.
I remember Cristobal and Stuart qualifying never/ever with the caveat,  'just for today'

and the brain's neuro pathways immediately re-connect  to addiction after one puff,

well dammit...I was too
and I was going to Win !

gallery_216_24_11738.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I also had trouble with the "ever" in NOPE when i first quit, it was 'just for today'. Each morning I pledged NOPE on the board and stuck with it for the day and then got up the next morning and did it again. Eventually i also came around to understanding addiction, and how my addiction had distorted my thinking, and committed to the forever part of ever. 

• Like 7

On 7/24/2016 at 7:02 AM, Sazerac said:

well dammit...I was too
and I was going to Win !

Bump for newbies who may have trouble with the 'forever/ever' part of NOPE.

NOPE one crave at a time, one day at a time.  You will succeed.

• Like 7

• babs609 changed the title to NOPE~Never/Ever/Foreverhttps://www.quittrain.com/topic/7334-nope~nevereverforever/
  • 5 weeks later...

That Never Ever stays foremost in my mind.  Getting rid of the nicotine out of my body has not been an easy journey.  I've been at it for almost two months now and am not quite sure if it is completely gone.  I still have some pretty crappy feeling days.  The thought of going back repulses me.  I so want that freedom and the joy that comes along with it.  

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Linda Thomas said:

That Never Ever stays foremost in my mind.  Getting rid of the nicotine out of my body has not been an easy journey.  I've been at it for almost two months now and am not quite sure if it is completely gone.  I still have some pretty crappy feeling days.  The thought of going back repulses me.  I so want that freedom and the joy that comes along with it.  

There is a lot of misinformation about when your body is completely clear from nicotine.

It is more than a few days for your body to get rid of nicotine, a lot depends on how long/how much you smoked. 

Tar isn't expelled from the lungs quickly....it is tar for heaven's sake...you need gasoline to get it off your feet !

The good news is that, in time, it will leave your body completely and quit harassing the receptors in your brain.

Please cut yourself some slack. 

Your body is working overtime purging out the nicotine and creating new, clean synapses in your brain.

All this is serious healing that you cannot see, that is part of the magic.

You can see and appreciate how far you have come in a short time.

You can see how you have changed your patterns, how you have taken full control of your life !

You ARE free, part of you just hasn't caught up with the rest.  

I know you are tired of hearing us say,

' be patient, things will start to get a whole lot better'

but, you have to trust us.  We don't lie.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sazerac said:

but, you have to trust us.  We don't lie.

I have so much faith in my quit warriors.  I feel very blessed to have stumbled upon this forum.  You have cheered me on, lifted me up and gotten me to a place I never thought I could be.

I so want to reward you for your kindness and I know that reward is my quit.  ❤️ 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Ok... I had huge issues with NOPE when I first joined a quit forum... I wanted to NOPE... all the cool kids NOPEd.... but Not One Puff Ever... the Ever... I didn't have faith in myself to publicly pledge EVER.... because what if I couldn't.... what then.... I had just lied to everyone.... so for over 2 weeks maybe 3 I'd go into the NOPE thread and like the nopes.... that was it... just like them because if someone was noping I wanted to let them know it had been seen.... and then someone said in their nope.... NOPE just for today.... and still it took a while for me to get it.... but once I did that first little NOPE.... it was like building a brick wall between me and smoking... NOPE.... one little acronym, declared infront of everyone began that change in my thinking from oh wow I went another day... to I am going to do this... this it Jo.... so you will notice around the boards I post pictures of myself as a kangroo... its not just cos I'm an Aussie.... its because there are two interesting facts about Kangaroos... 1 they can't fart and 2... they can't move backwards, sideways sure but backwards it is physically impossible for them to hop backwards... same as the emu they can't walk backwards either... that's why they are on the Aussie coat of arms... forever going forward.... so everyone, embrace your inner roo (or emu, and its pronounced Eam-you ...eam as is ream... an emu would be a good choice, they are great in a battle, they even beat the Aussie army in the great Western Australian emu war)...and only move forward.... Be the roo!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2018 at 10:03 AM, c9jane29 said:

Hey, never smokers have crappy days too! It's life!

The worst days of a never smoker and former smoker, are always better than the best days of a current smoker.

Never smokers and former smokers normally and in general, live each day of their their lives in the bright light of a high probability for a good, free, and healthy life.

Current smokers *ALWAYS*  live each day of their lives in the dark shadows with a constant threat of awful smoking-related diseases, mental/physical/spiritual slavery, and a high probability of early, horrible death.

Cristóbal

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cristóbal said:

The worst days of a never smoker and former smoker, are always better than the best days of a current smoker.

Never smokers and former smokers normally and in general, live each day of their their lives in the bright light of a high probability for a good, free, and healthy life.

Current smokers *ALWAYS*  live each day of their lives in the dark shadows with a constant threat of awful smoking-related diseases, mental/physical/spiritual slavery, and a high probability of early, horrible death.

I love this.  I have typed it and put it on my refrigerator as a daily reminder!

• Like 4

On 7/24/2016 at 8:02 AM, Sazerac said:

well dammit...I was too
and I was going to Win !

That mantra- One Day At a Time- is how I stayed quit.  I’d wake up, pledge my daily “Yep to NOPE” on the NOPE  thread (at QSMB) and go about my day.   Waves of craves crashed upon me throughout the day.   I didn’t sink.  I’d go to bed smiling and elated. Another nonsmoking day in the books.  Wake up , do it again. Over & over until one day the waves stop crashing.    They hit every so often. Months of tranquility separate them. 

Spot on post @Sazerac

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2