The Weird Things I did to Quit Smoking

Sirius

The following was some of the more weird things I did

while going through the stress of decompress.

Sharpen knifes.  Oh Vay!  scrape, scrape, scrape....

Take your time with it.  Focus on getting the sharpest edge.

All my knifes are very sharp.

Emptied out my ashtray into a glass jar (with lid).  Added a 

bit of water to the mix.  When I feel the need I take a good 

long look at this stuff.  If I still feel the need I unscrew the

lid and take a long deep whiff.  Really brings back the whole

smoking experience - to include the gagging, retching, and 

full body coughing.

If the time and place allows for it; a good stiff drink.  

One shot only!  

Purely for medicinal purposes.  

Bonus points for Barcardi 151.

A personal favorite.  Chopping Wood.  Nothing like swinging an axe 

to work out the aggression and utter unfairness that constant 

denial piles onto my little psyche.  Plus, I'm doing something 

constructive!

Hold your breath until the desire to breath meets and exceeds 

the desire to smoke.  While holding your breath contemplate

how each cigarette you consume brings you closer to holding your

breath involuntarily. Breathing is far more satisfying then smoking.

Enjoy a fresh Jalapeño. Pop the whole thing in your mouth and 

chew slowly.  mmmmmm...  Bonus points for not having water 

near at hand.  

• Like 5

Cool post, Sirius

* I sharpened all my knives, too !  In fact, I got into the excellent habit of keeping them sharp.  I have a lot of knives.

* Deep cleaned my house like a maniac, it was so beautiful.  I wish that maniac chick would come back once in a while.

* I was eating a lot of Satsumas and worms aren't crazy about citrus near the compost so,

I scraped down the white from the skins, put the skins in bottles with isopropyl alcohol and made excellent mosquito repellent.

*  Yes !  Breathing ! Learning how to take a break after a chore and have beautiful clean deep breaths be my 'reward'.

• Like 3

I love this post...at the beginning some craziness is needed..

Besides music blasting down my ears..probably damaged them.lol...

I drew a face on a pillow with a marker pen....

And punching hell out not it.....sending it flying through the air..or lying it on the bed and punching away for all my life..

Oh it felt good...

• Like 1

Cool post, Sirius

* I sharpened all my knives, too !  In fact, I got into the excellent habit of keeping them sharp.  I have a lot of knives.

* Deep cleaned my house like a maniac, it was so beautiful.  I wish that maniac chick would come back once in a while.

* I was eating a lot of Satsumas and worms aren't crazy about citrus near the compost so,

I scraped down the white from the skins, put the skins in bottles with isopropyl alcohol and made excellent mosquito repellent.

*  Yes !  Breathing ! Learning how to take a break after a chore and have beautiful clean deep breaths be my 'reward'.

*Quietly retreats from the thread....

• Like 3

*Quietly retreats from the thread....

Well I did say "Crazy."

I'll make another thread detailing the elegant, suave, and glamorously sophisticated yet coolly cerebral things I did to quit as soon as I think of anything that fell into that category.  B)

• Like 1

Well I did say "Crazy."

I'll make another thread detailing the elegant, suave, and glamorously sophisticated yet coolly cerebral things I did to quit as soon as I think of anything that fell into that category.  B)

Sirius, what you said was, weird.  You didn't say,  crazy.  

What about all those bon-bons I elegantly sucked while in my cerebral vapors on the fainting couch ?

Mais oui... another thread to accomodate our glamorously sophisticated methods of quitting smoking, s'il vous plaît

My primal screaming at the tracks while a train roared down the rails may fail to qualify.

p.s.  I'll speak to Stuart later about running away with knives.  sharp knives.

• Like 1

Laughing is permitted :P

Putting on a patch various 3 - 7 times a day. Last months very OCD - I started using and again smoking off and on+/- in 2005

Eating a bottle of bubble gum a day
Sucking on mints a year...

Using NRT spray 4x an hour way stronger then NRT gum

• Like 1

Sirius, what you said was, weird.  You didn't say,  crazy.  

What about all those bon-bons I elegantly sucked while in my cerebral vapors on the fainting couch ?

Mais oui... another thread to accomodate our glamorously sophisticated methods of quitting smoking, s'il vous plaît

My primal screaming at the tracks while a train roared down the rails may fail to qualify.

p.s.  I'll speak to Stuart later about running away with knives.  sharp knives.

Whoops.  Your right.  Weird is not necessarily crazy (but it helps).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Speaking more in generalities I would recommend:

• Don't replace your addiction with another addiction.   
  • Don't use smoking cessation as an excuse (too much).
  • Use crutches if you have to but wean yourself off them at some point.
  • The first week or two is hell week.  Its tough but the time does pass.
  • Remember why you quit and keep the list at hand.
  • Make the NOPE pledge every morning to yourself, in the mirror.
  • Sugar free gum gives the pucker something to do.
  • Chewing Ice.  Hmmm...so much for generalities...
  • Off to the land of the wierd - I have fresh spearmint growing on my property.  I'll pick some and grind between hands till hands are wet.  Drop spearmint and cup hands over nose and inhale sharply through the nostrils.  It may be that strong (and hopefully pleasant)) scents serve to interfere with a craving.  It gives me something of a reset.   It's like my brain is saying, "gotta have a smoke, gotta have a smo-  **SPEARMINT!!!**"
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...

I formulated a plan for Australia to take over the world and bring about world peace.... There is a dossier...there are spreadsheets and graphs....there is a timeline....it is completely feasible..... I have pricing projections, contingencies for those countries a bit slower to come in line um I mean join the party.... But shhhh I'm saying to much....this plan is perfect, Australia  will rule the world, everyone will be happy, but let it be know you should take the time to translate my posts cos before ya know it you will need to know Strine it might just come in handy. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Can you bring Aussie weather to Canada In Feb,? I'd vote for you if the answer is YES!!

Vote?...oh there will be no vote... All though Canada does pretty well out of the plan.... They are some what contingent to its success....let's face it the kiwis come out of the best after the ... Um ..operational shift in the world than any country other than us...but the Canadians do or right... 

I've said to much.... It is kinda a bit scarey that part of me doesn't want to share too much because this plan is doable and we'll you just never know.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/7/2019 at 1:36 PM, Doreensfree said:

When I was 11 and started to smoke ...I took some smokes out of my Mum and Dad's packets ...they never knew ....

My dad smoked non filter Pall Malls so my sister and me smoked his butts from the ashtrays ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As the first few days were the worst, during my free time on those days I cleaned everything I could in the house. My bedroom furniture went from yellow to white. Curtains, all my clothes, and bedding got laundered. Pictures came off the walls to get a cleaning, walls got cleaned, everything I could clean.

It kept my mind off wanting to smoke plus I figured if I wanted smoking out of my life, I needed to rid as much evidence and stench as possible.

Going from being a smoker to a non-smoker is kind of a big transition. While it is not possible to get rid of smoke residue 100% but I was going to do everything I could to live as a non-smoker. My car got a good cleaning and the ash tray bleached.

Of course I had already gotten rid of the rest of my cigarettes, my cigarette rolling machine, paper tubes, ash trays, etc.

It made it easier to stay quit with everything clean.

• Like 4

Sarge logged over 1800 miles on The DreadMill (basement treadmill) that first year. 

Every time he wanted to smoke, he hopped on and ran a mile the fastest he could. 

Got up to running full marathons within a year. 
A typical year is under 1000 miles these days, with the past 13 months being exactly zero. Diddley-Squat. 
No. Miles . Logged. 

Achilles injury. 

EZPZ

• Sad 2

My wife and I quit almost at the same time. With this song (and a few others) at maximum volume for hours and on repeat,

we cleaned the house all the time.

And then when we finished, we cleaned again the clean house.

If I never hear this song again, it will never bother me !!!

Cristóbal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1