No smoking....

You all know it. That horrible feeling. That moment you extinguish your cigarette, knowing you're entering a 'no-smoking' zone. How long will it take? When can I smoke? Are they strict or can I sneak off for one?

As you will know I went to a gig at the O2 in London a few days ago. The support band were due on stage at 7.30pm. At around 6pm, we crossed through the public area into the 'ticket only' zone. It was only five minutes after we were through that I picked up on the automated voice blaring through the tannoys....."...PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A NO SMOKING AREA. SMOKING IS NOT PERMITTED WITHIN THE O2 ARENA. ONCE YOU LEAVE THE ARENA, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED RE-ENTRY...."

Now, I've been quit six months but I swear, for about 3 seconds, until I remembered, I literally panicked. I calculated in those 3 seconds that it would potentially be 5 hours until I smoked another cigarette. I knew I would have considered leaving the gig early or not even staying, just to get a nicotine fix. And I would have told myself it was 'too loud' or that I felt unwell or I was too tired or dreamt up some other ridiculous excuse, just to smoke. Just to smoke. And this was my favourite band of all time. I was so excited to see them. But in that second before I remembered, I would have given it all away for a smoke. And I'm clear of nicotine and its daily pull on me.

I find it fascinating to think that the stress of quitting is in fact so much easier than the stress, every single day, of not quitting.

• Like 7

Awesome post and beautifully written ( ref Boo's amazing prose lol ) . It's still a scary feeling for me going into a smoke free area

even though I don't smoke ! The addiction still reminds me it's there in the background . Great stuff !

• Like 3

I find it fascinating to think that the stress of quitting is in fact so much easier than the stress, every single day, of not quitting.

And there it is.  We put off quitting for so long fearing withdrawal symptoms and fail to recognize that we have lived for years in varying states of withdrawal while smoking.  If you hate withdrawal, stop smoking.

Excellent post P&P.

• Like 4

I definitely don't miss that panic that I am in a place where I can't break free to smoke. For example, I would try to smoke as much as possible before getting on a plane and I would dread the thought of a long flight to Europe. It is so nice to be relaxed and not have another reason to feel anxious about something. 

I would have dreaded jury duty that I had this week. I had to get up and leave at 6:30 to get to the court house on time, and the plan was to stay until 5. Instead I didn't think about smoking. I just got up, had my coffee, and went to jury duty. Before I was craving every 15 minutes, and barely held out for an hour. As bored as I was at jury duty, I didn't think "I wish I could go out and have a smoke, even when we had breaks. I used my breaks to go for walks.

I would have dreaded jury duty that I had this week. I had to get up and leave at 6:30 to get to the court house on time, and the plan was to stay until 5. Instead I didn't think about smoking. I just got up, had my coffee, and went to jury duty. Before I was craving every 15 minutes, and barely held out for an hour. As bored as I was at jury duty, I didn't think "I wish I could go out and have a smoke, even when we had breaks. I used my breaks to go for walks.

This stuff is the good stuff. Taking back control of your own life. I just tried to link to your SOS response but I don't know how. But go read it Indigo. You already told yourself why you shouldn't smoke.