Resetting

Madheisen

Dear Passengers,

I started drinking with a friend at the pub, everything went fine, we talked, he smoked and I held my ground, until I got half drunk and came home to find a bottle of whisky, started listening to Dire Straits while my mind sent me to the saddest thoughts and there I broke, the pack of smokes that I decided to keep to prove myself that I was able to beat, was the one to beat me,

I failed this time once again even though I was doing so well by 22 days.

Gotta take this one in the chin and reset.

1461627001_19_1_GBP_6_black.png

Thank you for reading,

Carlos.

• Like 1

That's hard going . When it's happened to me I've run away for a few years before trying again . Fair play for stopping again straight away . KTQ madhouse , I'm loving the extra energy I've got now , I sometimes want a smoke but crucially I don't need one so I don't have one because if I did I would need them lol .

• Like 1

Ah, the dreaded alcohol. I nearly lost my quit several times through alcohol. I think it was the fourth or maybe fifth time of drinking before I was able to not have a 'smoking crisis'.

I'll let the others tell you off for 'keeping a pack to prove I'm stronger'. I am in no position to tell you off for that because I also kept my tobacco. I still have it though it would be unusable now. I kept it because I wanted to know it was there if I needed it. But it's not really very clever is it? Leaving temptation there. Why would we enforce a test on ourselves making something even harder. The reason you (and I) keep the pack is the nicotine junkie told you to.

So, well done for confessing. Sorry you gave up your quit. Brilliant dusting off and starting again but don't be fooled. This is the kinda break your junkie needs. Beware the thoughts creeping in....

'I can smoke when I drink, I did last time'

'I can be a 'social' smoker'

Maybe you could, I don't know you....BUT...why the .........would you want to? Smoking is really really bad for you in every single way. You don't WANT to smoke or you wouldn't be here working so damn hard not to. You don't WANT to be a social smoker. You don't WANT to smoke. Ever. Not even with Whiskey.

Throw that pack away Carlos (and destroy them so they can't be fished back out again in times of weakness). Be strong. Move on. Keep this quit.

• Like 2

Hi Carlos...sorry you smoked...but glad to see you jump right back....

Give yourself a good chance...ditch the alcohol till you feel stronger...plus...

Throw out the cigs....your a non smoker... It will stop that little nico monster was telling you they are there..

You can do it...

• Like 1

Carlos, I have read that the majority of people who relapse after quitting smoking do so when they are under the influence. When I first quit, I avoided drinking.  Then after a month or so I had one drink with dinner.  I did have urges when I had that one drink so I waited several months before I got drunk. So, this trip can you wait and not have drinks for awhile? 

• Like 3

So sorry to hear this, Carlos.  Drinking and keeping cigs in the house did not work out for you...so perhaps you should not do either. Glad to see you are right back with us.  You can do this!

• Like 2

Sorry about the relapse Carlos. I had to give up alcohol early in my quit. It was to risky for me as my quit was very shaky for a long time. 3.5 months in to my quit I can finally drink without thinking about it.

Throw those nasty sticks out and start again. The process sucks. . . But you CAN do this!! Hang in there!

• Like 2

Cigarettes that have been smoked cannot be un-smoked.  What's done is done.  I applaud you for jumping right back in.  Starting over is a challenge, but is a far better option than staying mired in the addiction.

You've got this Carlos.

• Like 1

Hi Carlos, I'm Karen and need to figure out  how to reset my quit meter also. In a nutshell: I quit smoking on feb 6th joined this site, was doing fantastic and threw it all away april 1st. Came back yesterday and today I am starting over. WE can do this. I wish you the the best in the quit. Glad you jumped back on the train much quicker than I did.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how to answer this one. Of course, good job jumping back on. And I was on/off quitting for almost a year so I understand the temptation of relapse but there's a couple of red flags for me.

1)You kept the tobacco, why? I mean really ask yourself why - not to answer me. I don't think you'll much like the answer when you understand it, it's because you are addicted to nicotine and you were mentally still giving yourself a way back in.

2)You've occasionally been drinking and felt some small craves - so went onto whiskey and then smoked. Ask yourself why on this one too. You'll get the same answer as a heads up to help you out.

Now I want to raise these not to bash you with them but to tell you unless you face those down your journey will be a tough one and open to the danger of falling off. I get it, I really do. I think the first 6 weeks of my quit was me abstaining and then when the horrible choice came (and in my experience it does come) then I chose no (the last time, umpteen times before I would smoke and restart).  The difference was an SOS here, it was my last line of defence against making the wrong choice. So my advice to you is if you take nothing new to this quit that you promise yourself you will do an SOS - BEFORE you smoke and wait for at least 3 responses. Hopefully our minds will not be clouded by alcohol and we can at least help you see the choice.

So moving on. Congratulations on day 1!

x

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I make certain I'm nowhere near smokes, guns, vehicles, or women (especially women) when I imbibe. 

Time to throw the smokes in the trash (after soaking them in vinegar), take a shower and get back on track.

This is just a speed bump on your road to success.