Starting today, in Cleveland Ohio....

joe

A person must be 21 years old to buy any tobacco products!

Though I think enacting that law is a great first step, the question is, will it be enforced?

How many shop owners are going to question 18 thru 20 year olds, when in reality most places never questioned minors buying them in the first place....I think it's one of those "unenforceable laws"

It won't matter much to the teens anyway...I think more teens are drawn into vaping instead of smoking.....

That's a whole 'nuther conversation .

Any thought or comments?

• Like 3

I tend to agree it's probably just another feel good law.  Enforcement of the law by shop owners will likely only come by having plenty of stings.  Besides, it's social/peer shaming or acceptance that seems to have a greater impact on this age group.  If vaping and meth/heroin are the go-tos for this demographic, then I'd rather see appropriations go toward addressing the rampant meth/heroin problems facing our nation.  Rambling...it's 4 in the morning.

• Like 2

I'd rather see appropriations go toward addressing the rampant meth/heroin problems facing our nation.  

This. This. THIS!

You know because pushing the use of opiods to treat every frakking thing... getting people hooked and then "cracking down" on the use of opiods and driving people to the streets... I can't even get into this rant right now, but trust me there is a rant.

• Like 3

You know because pushing the use of opiods to treat every frakking thing... getting people hooked and then "cracking down" on the use of opiods and driving people to the streets... I can't even get into this rant right now, but trust me there is a rant.

Rant away DD.  We prescribe people synthetic heroin and then act surprised when these same people become addicted.  And once the prescription runs out, we are then led to treat the new addict like a criminal lowlife.

The wheels on the bus go round and round...

• Like 1

Horrible law.

You can fight and die for your country at 18.

You can vote in elections at 18.

But you can't buy cigarettes. Bullshit!

Rant over sorry

Agree 100000000%     I feel the same way about drinking.  If you're old enough to go to war you are old enough to have a drink and smoke a cigarette!  

But wait, big brother is going to get involved, nationally. 

"Briant said the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has recently completed a study on age and smoking and will soon present its findings. He said Congress may then set a national age limit for tobacco use, so cities should wait before acting on their own."  Interesting read here with some background info as well.

The good old FDA.  The lovely folks in Congress.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What happens to the 19 year old that are currently addicted?  I wondered this when they raised Englands age limit too (from 16 to 18). There are a few years of addicts that they legally created who are now no longer able to legally purchase a product they inadvertantly got addicted to?! Sloping shoulders....