I smoked a cigarette

Karen

I was passing by this evening and saw your post.

Joel wrote an article that may be of interest to you.

Please think carefully about what happened. Quitting smoking is very difficult to pull off, and your health is too valuable to take such chances.

BTW, hello to everyone -- it has been a long time. Yes, I am still enjoying my freedom.

All the best

• Like 9

Ok...addiction sucks...you only had the one ?

Just jump back on...its fresh in your mind...how they stink,how they made you dizzy,how sharp your throat felt.,

How your fingers stank,how your clothes stank..etc...etc....

You can do it...no romancing the cancer stick...

If you don't s.o.s....we carnt help....it might not have changed the outcome....but it just might have ...x

• Like 2

I was passing by this evening and saw your post.

Joel wrote an article that may be of interest to you.

Please think carefully about what happened. Quitting smoking is very difficult to pull off, and your health is too valuable to take such chances.

BTW, hello to everyone -- it has been a long time. Yes, I am still enjoying my freedom.

All the best

Nice to see you Robert...

So good to hear you are still enjoying a great smoke free life...

Congrats...

Karen, danger! Don't keep smoking thinking that you already had one and that you will quit later.  

How was it?  I can't imagine that it was very good physically in your throat or in your lungs.  At your stage of quit your lungs are cleared and your taste and smell are better.  Your  nerve endings are regenerating  and your skin and gums have more oxygen and are more healthy. 

Keep going on your quit, move on.  You can do it!  Let us know. 

• Like 4

I want to quit but I want to smoke too....does this make any frickin sense at all because I am REALLY confused and angry about this. About what my brain is telling me. I do NOT like to be confused. I had been romancing the cig for a day and a half and finally caved. I bought a pack on my way home from work today and smoked another one. They taste like crap and make me dizzy and stink. Addiction sucks. I'm going to read Alan Cars book again. So I have not totally given up.

So in answer to Bakons question I guess I am a smoker right now.

Of course it makes sense, but maybe not quite the way you see it. You're not "confused", you're conflicted - your rational mind knows you shouldn't smoke, but your addicted junkie lizard brain is throwing a tantrum, and now that you've given in once it expects to keep on getting its way. I mean, you've already bought your own pack... if you were still "on the fence" you could've just nicked some more from dear hubby, so I think you've kind of made that decision already, like it or not. That lizard might be stupid, but he can read you like a book.

Anyway, you can't have your cake and eat it too, you know that. As long as you keep listening to what your {lizard} brain is telling you, you'll keep smoking, and being angry and confused. Or you can decide who drives the bus around here, and tell that jerk to shut the hell up, and do it NOW before this gets worse. And it will.

• Like 8

Of course it makes sense, but maybe not quite the way you see it. You're not "confused", you're conflicted - your rational mind knows you shouldn't smoke, but your addicted junkie lizard brain is throwing a tantrum, and now that you've given in once it expects to keep on getting its way. I mean, you've already bought your own pack... if you were still "on the fence" you could've just nicked some more from dear hubby, so I think you've kind of made that decision already, like it or not. That lizard might be stupid, but he can read you like a book.

Anyway, you can't have your cake and eat it too, you know that. As long as you keep listening to what your {lizard} brain is telling you, you'll keep smoking, and being angry and confused. Or you can decide who drives the bus around here, and tell that jerk to shut the hell up, and do it NOW before this gets worse. And it will.

Exactly!  Well said, B!

Karen, you have to make up your mind Not One Puff Ever...it is the only way through...

• Like 3

Karen,

One of the best pieces of advice I picked up when I was still contemplating quitting was something Joel Spitzer said in one of his videos.  He said: "don't tell yourself you don't want a cigarette, because you do."  As Duck pointed out, you're not confused you are a nicotine addict.  Right now addiction is at the helm, but I don't believe for one second that you want to be a smoker again.  This is a simple matter of your rational voice needing to reassert its authority over the voices of addiction that are pulling you backwards.

For what it's worth...I'm pulling for you Karen.  You are so much more than your addiction and I have no doubt you can not only quit, but find peace and contentment within that quit.  Recommit to NOPE and given your current circumstance throw in a FIDO(Forget It, Drive On!).

• Like 5

Karen- I'm so sorry to read this. I get it though, I really do. It's an awful, awful addiction.

Tomorrow is my 3 month anniversary and I've been so tempted lately to throw it all out. I'm so irritable, still. I think it's not fair to my family for me to act like this, a smoke will surely cure this. Then I think, how fair is it to them that I willingly continue to slowly kill myself? That's the only thing that keeps me quitting.

It's hard. It sucks. I keep praying it's going to get easier. Please jump back on the train and have faith with me. We can commiserate together.

• Like 6

That little evil nico monster may have won this little battle ...

Arm yourself with more knowledge...and come back and win this war....

You truly don't want to be a smoker...otherwise you wouldn't have found us...

Jump in...two feet this time...not one foot in and one foot out...but all of you...

Smoking is not on the table...some days saying this a million times...

Doreen...it doesn't matter what is going on in your life...or what your feeling...

Your not going to smoke...you hear me ...no smoking...

It worked for me....

Re..read my posts sweetheart...read how smoking has devasted our lives...do you really want to risk this...

• Like 3

Some of us, not all, just decided we were done and those pains or thoughts were given less importance as being real and looked at as something "wrong" and fought off. Sure I had thoughts of having one but I knew this was a wrong thought and fought it. Change your attack. Your answer to my question was wrong too.

• Like 4

I'm a little confused. I saw this and though awww, shame, she smoked one.

Then I read on and I'm on the confused bit, you bought a pack? 

I'm not one for judging, I have a ton of failed quits behind me and each one taught me something about where my triggers were or ways I could distract myself when the thoughts came.

Because Karen, I really want to sugar coat it but I would be lieing to you, so here's my honest. The thoughts WILL come and you need to have chosen not to smoke. No matter what. No matter how uncomfortable the feeling. You are facing addiction and this is my real talk for you. 

You are uncomfortable because you know you don't want to be smoking. You know too much now! You are smoking because you are addicted to nicotine. You need to decide whether to face the mental turbulence of quitting or whether you want to tamp that down with more addiction.

I'm really sorry for where you are, genuinely, I've been there, a lot of us have. You have to trust us on this one if you want to break free, nope is the only way. 

Much love. x

• Like 3

Karen. I don't often mention this because I don't want to 'push' a product but you appear desperate and are stood on the precipice. You can drag this back but I feel you need a push to do so. I quit using an app called 'Jason Vale, quit smoking in 2 hours'. It sounds cheesy but it is free and based on Allan CARR methods though I found it punchier and more succinct. You need 2 hours and it just resets your junkie thinking. It is the only reason I quit smoking. Yes, I've worked to keep my quit but I never would have taken the step without it. Please download the app. Try it. or any other method that has helped you. Don't go back, I urge you to stop being a slave to the nicotine. Shut down that junkie brain. I promise it gets easier when you do.

• Like 3

I don't think that anyone here could claim to have quit on the first try :D 

It took me 5 "tries" although to be honest I wasn't really quitting I was just doing that to prove that I can or to show someone that I can...that never works. 

So, Karen, ask yourself if you really want to live without nicotine addiction or do you want to smoke....

I wrote about this in my blog in a bit more detail: http://www.cigarettekills.com/why-should-you-quit-smoking-cigarettes.html

Karen, I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. I've had a slip or two but didn't smoke after that. Just because you started smoking again doesn't mean you need to give up. Put down the pack or give it to your hubby and just start over again. Come back on the Train, Karen.

• Like 2