Under what circumstances would you smoke again?

Jonny5

My body or maybe it is my mind that craves nicotine and I cannot deny this, at least to myself. During my 18 years as a non smoker, I rarely thought about it because I was busy enjoying life, but it made no difference at all when I started smoking because of tragedy and crisis in my family. I was not as strong or knowledgeable about my addiction then, but I am now with the help of communities like this one.

And regarding the title of this thread:

If a meteor was on it's way to destroy the earth and I only had a day or two to live, f*ck it, I'll smoke a cigarette. Otherwise I can't think of a damned thing that would make me smoke again. LOL

On this quit, I have learned from many different members that absolute self commitment to my quit is essential, and that there is no room for doubt. The term "Easy Peasy" comes to mind when I think of absolute commitment, because to me it implies "I have no doubt."

Im not saying you are wrong, I'm saying I believe you will feel better.

If you stopped visualising me as someone condescending, preaching from a hilltop you might listen to the happy ex smoker sitting on a bench with you offering you hope.

I have nothing but good intentions Julie, I believe that this is visible to most people. Did you know when I was in my early quit I was really angry too. I even broke my own window. How daft is that.

One thing to remember is that alcoholism and nicotine addiction are different. Although similarities can be found on a mental dependance level. Physiologically they are different and different techniques are used.

Please embrace what we as a collective can offer you to help with your nicotine addiction.

I'll be there to support you all the way :-)

Cold Turkey is cold turkey. This treatment is used for both alcohol, narcotics, and nicotine cessation. Different techniques are used by psychologists for behavior modification. There is no one approach for treatment for nicotine addiction. 

• Like 1

Cold Turkey is cold turkey. This treatment is used for both alcohol, narcotics, and nicotine cessation. Different techniques are used by psychologists for behavior modification. There is no one approach for treatment for nicotine addiction.

People have died from going cold turkey from Alcohol. I don't know about drugs but I do know that no one died from going cold turkey from nicotine.

Pleade don't endorse cold turkey from alcohol as your best intentions cpuld result in tragedy

When I was quit for 9 months, I could not say that I would never smoke again.  After living through the Navy Yard shootings last year and walking through my boss's brains and blood, I smoked.  For one week I smoked.  I analyzed each and every puff I took because I wanted to see if what Allen Carr had been saying was really true, that we get nothing from smoking and never enjoyed it in the first place.  So, from that first cigarette to the 20th, not one puff did I enjoy.  Not one cigarette calmed my nerves or took away the pain, hurt or anger.  They did nothing for me.  Allen Carr was right all along and I had to be bull-headed about it and learn the hard way.

Once I put that last cigarette out at work, I knew that I would never smoke again.  It's because I know and fully believe that it does nothing for me.  At one time I thought it did, but now I know better.

I think some other addictions are different because you actually get enjoyment out of alcohol etc. and it's fun.  There is no enjoyment in smoking cigarettes and it's far from being fun.  Allen Carr told me and it took a relapse during a very shitty time in my life to understand what it was he was saying.

You're right, there is no "one size fits all" approach when it come to quitting but there is one fundamental truth that must be learned if one is going to quit and stay quit without feeling like they've given something up or are somehow missing out on something by not smoking.  That one thing is to remove the desire to smoke by understanding and believing that the cigarette has nothing to offer and you never enjoyed smoking in the first place.

Now as far as the white robe, we have a man here that wears a kilt and even runs in that kilt. :)  What ever clothing you choose, if it doesn't have pant legs, remember to hold it down when the wind blows. :)

• Like 3

There is no one approach for treatment for nicotine addiction.

Sigh ... but there is.

There is.

It's called the "Do No Smoke" method.

It's the *only* method that works and here's the kicker: it's GUARANTEED to work every time.

Every. Time.

Easy Peasy

• Like 1

People have died from going cold turkey from Alcohol. I don't know about drugs but I do know that no one died from going cold turkey from nicotine.

Pleade don't endorse cold turkey from alcohol as your best intentions cpuld result in tragedy

???

???

You said that cold turkey is used to treat Alcoholism. I'm saying that it can be deadly, so.please proceed with caution if you're trying it or advising it as method to get off the drink. I think I read that Amy Winehouse died as a result of sudden uncontrolled alcohol withdrawal, though I may be wrong, my memory ain't what it was lol :-)

You said that cold turkey is used to treat Alcoholism. I'm saying that it can be deadly, so.please proceed with caution if you're trying it or advising it as method to get off the drink. I think I read that Amy Winehouse died as a result of sudden uncontrolled alcohol withdrawal, though I may be wrong, my memory ain't what it was lol :-) 

Cessation is one method used to treat some alcoholics. This is what I said earlier. This is not an "endorsement." This is a fact. An endorsement is something quite different. That is why I was confused about your comment. 

Cessation is one method used to treat some alcoholics. This is what I said earlier. This is not an "endorsement." This is a fact. An endorsement is something quite different. That is why I was confused about your comment.

I never said you did. I simply advised that you don't, incase you were unaware of the sometimes tragic circumstances.

You strike me as a very caring person, and I would hate to think that you might inadvertently give wrong advice.

It was simply that. Friendly sharing of knowledge :-)

The discussion about nicotine as an addiction seems to be finished. . . Good night, all.

Good night Aine, sleep well. It's morning in the UK. If you want to continue discussing nicotine as an addiction, be sure to let me know :-) ps I will ask my Mother about Chinese Grammar, but I doubt she'll know. 40 years in this country and she still gets muddled up lol :-)

Good night Aine, sleep well. It's morning in the UK. If you want to continue discussing nicotine as an addiction, be sure to let me know :-) ps I will ask my Mother about Chinese Grammar, but I doubt she'll know. 40 years in this country and she still gets muddled up lol :-)

There seems to be second person pronouns in Mandarin created after West meets East. They seem to be reserved for addressing deities and/or used infrequently, from what I've quickly read. Ask Mom anyway. 

There seems to be second person pronouns in Mandarin created after West meets East. They seem to be reserved for addressing deities and/or used infrequently, from what I've quickly read. Ask Mom anyway.

Will do :-)