Two years coming up. . .

Aine

This is a special month for me; I celebrated 25 years clean off other substances, and in a day, I'll have 2 years off the smoke. As a 3 pack a day smoker for 40 years, I seriously had little hope I would be able to stop smoking. Fortunately, my significant other stopped smoking first, and since I didn't have a really good excuse anymore to NOT smoke (I told myself I couldn't stop if someone else was smoking in the house, even though lots of people do just that), I held my breath and went around the house and threw away all the smokes and ashtrays. I literally held my breath. I knew I had a small window of sanity before I would talk myself out of it. I was so scared. Then, I stayed really really close to the quit train forums!

• When I wanted to smoke, you all told me the craving would last about 3 minutes and to go walk around my office.
  • When I wanted to smoke, you told me to look at the delusion of what I thought I would get if I smoked. It turned out that there wasn't much at all, except for illness and death.
  • When I wanted to smoke, you said to drink lots of juices and water; that nicotine was a powerful chemical that also dehydrates the body.
  • And, you said to send an SOS if I wanted to smoke. I did, and there were always answers. One time I had to wait at least 5 minutes! You guys rock.

I don't quit anything gracefully. I've read Allan Carr, and I agree with much of what he says. Just doesn't work that way with me all the time. Joel saved my life, though. Watched so many videos those first few weeks! I found out that everyone's quit is a bit different, and what matters is that I find a way to stay quit. As long as I focus on the fact that Nicotine is an addictive drug that kills and lies to me, then today, I don't smoke.

I still want to smoke occasionally. Hell, I still want to drink occasionally, too! Doesn't matter. Urges go away quickly, and I know where to go to reinforce the truth: nothing good comes from smoking. Nicotine is a powerful drug that has told me, through much of my life, that I would "feel better", look cool, calm down, perk up, you name it, I believed it. Lies.

So, I'm off to Ireland in May with my sister!  Tickets are bought and reservations are made at B and B's. This trip is on the bucket list, but I was never going to go because why the hell would I spend 12 hours on a flight without smoking? Torture! And, I didn't have the money. And, my sister doesn't smoke. As a result, I've never wanted to spend a whole lot of time with her! We are calling it the "sissy" trip.

I have, according to my meter, saved around 4300 dollars from not smoking. I think it's more than that, but, hey, who's counting. I've got 3200 dollars saved up for the trip, and I'll have a bit more before I go. So, I'm going because I quit smoking. Cool, huh?

Thanks for being here for me, all of you. You're a special bunch to have put up with me!

• Like 9

Aww, so happy for you, Aine!  It was almost painful to watch you struggle sometimes.  But you made it!!  And have a wonderful trip planned that you never could have done, before.

Wonderful and inspiring post...and you look 10 years younger in your new picture.  Way to go!!

So happy for you Aine!  You are a shining example of the positive life changes that come with quitting smoking.  Thank you for posting this here for the newbies to read.  It's so important for those just starting this journey to know that life after quitting smoking is so very good.  It's worth some discomfort early on.  

congrats-card-full.jpg

Congrats Aine..

You have done a good job explaining the grip that this addiction has on us, and what must be done to beat it.

im so happy for you that you are crossing a major bucket list item off of the list!

That sounds like a great trip !

Congrats and enjoy your time with your sister...

I'm pleased you were ahead of my journey. I had you ahead of me keeping it painfully real, and I'm sorry that your quit didn't seem easy peasy but it made mine believable and ok. So I would personally like to thank you for the reality of your posts.  The beauty of this place is all the differences.

Agree that your new avi looks amazing, looking stunning Aine. Wish you the most wonderfilled sisters trip of a lifetime. 

Congratulations on a most excellent adventure for 2 years and 25 years. 

Much love. x

Congrats, Aine!!  You've been here since the beginning and THANK YOU for putting up with the growing pains.  :)  All of my best to you and CS.

And 2 years later, Quit Train is still a lively and supportive place. Cool, huh?