The Garden Patch

sgt.barney

I like projects..... B)

Keep us informed.

The Sarge only gets some about every 3 years or so. There's a local school with a small wild patch behind the playground that he'll raid once in a while when he has time.  He doesn't want to be accused of being that creepy old dude hanging around the schoolyard playground ...

Most years he just forgets. It's such a short window of time.

Easy Peasy

They're poking their heads up outta the ground. It starts tomorrow. One day earlier than last year. First picking will be tomorrow . 

Here's a reminder of last year's haul ( a tad bit over 40 pounds ) : Last Year's Album

Here's a taste of what The Sarge's Green Thumb can do (from last year):

936869_565389573481614_938310900_n.jpg

Easy Peasy

• Like 7

That looks lovely :)

I dug out a small patch today....a postage size stamp garden really....and I decided to start with strawberries. 

And I found the easy way to know when to plant stuff......I will peep over my neighbors fence and be a copy-cat :)

• Like 2

looks good Sarge..I tried growing it (for the wife..I really only NEED meat and potatoes...lol)..the first 3 years things were going good...the fourth year, I planned to actually pick some as each year it was healthier than the year before, So..on year four when spring rolled around......... it never sprouted ...i dont know if the winter froze it out, our maybe a deer came up in the winter and while feeding on the flower beds ;) pulled the asparagus out, or what, but havent tried since....maybe next year (sounds like my quit...lol)

Might be a bit lower yield this year. We had some -15 (F)  ( -26 ( C ) ) and some of 'em likely froze their little buds off ... and The Sarge didn't get out in Feb to fertilize. Normally the nitrogen would have had time to soak in by now. Oopsies.

There you have it. Pre-excuses for a crappy yield this year. [1]

Easy Peasy

FOOTNOTES:

[1] Of course, disregard if the yield is greater than last years 40.6 pounds.

• Like 2

doesn't it take years to get them going?

Actually - yes - but it's years of doing nothing.

The Sarge starts from seed. You can buy first-year crowns to get a year head-start or if you're not good with seeds.

Put seed in ground and wait 4 years ... Those spears are 4th and 5th year plants. First harvest.

You, literally, do nothing. For years.  

4th year, enjoy.

Enjoy every year for the next 15 to 20 years doing absolutely nothing other than fertilizing twice a year (literally 2 seconds a plant) and cutting down the fern growth in early spring (deadwood from last year) - about 10 seconds a plant.  Pretty maintenance free for a plant that produces for 15 or 20 years.

If you start with store-bought crowns, you can get by waiting only 2 or 3 years. Seeds? 4 to 5 years.

But it's about the easiest thing to grow. Virtually no disease or pest.

Easy.

Easy Peasy, even.

2 feet by 2 feet (4 sq feet per plant) + whatever spacing you like between rows - The Sarge packs 'em in tight, but some folks like lotsa room to walk between rows.

1/2 to 1-and-1/2 pounds yield per fern when mature, depending on weather, soil, fertilization, etc. Count on about 3/4 pounds per.

Do the math for your own situation.

3/4 = .75 pounds per plant.  20 Pounds = 26 ferns. Round that to 30 for some spare. 4 square feet (2x2) per plant : 4 x 30 = 120 square feet. Give or take a little spacing, 12 feet x 12 feet with the way the Sarge packs 'em in. The size of a small bedroom or back porch. Most folks like a lot more room between plants/rows, though, to walk around when harvesting. You can pack 'em in tight, just watch where you step when harvesting.

The pros (commercial guys) get about a ton to a ton-and-a-half (2000 to 3000 pounds) per acre. You could do the math that way, too, but The Sarge is too lazy to look up square feet per acre.

Easy Peasy

People are gonna think I am weird but we had asparagus growing here for the longest time did our best to get rid of it mowed over it, whatever until hubs' aunt told us she would come and harvest the asparagus and to let it grow for her so we let it grow for her sometimes she would not get here in time and it would grow big and seed.....we finally were able to get rid of it a few years ago...I dont like asparagus as you can tell lol 

• Like 1

Got the hanging strawberry plant ready...planted cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, onions, and all kinds of herbs and stuff. Then I came inside and checked my e mail...and found this:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alannaokun/insanely-clever-gardening-tricks

So I happened to have 2 empty grapefruit shells, went back outside, filled them with dirt and put some seeds in them. Why wouldn't it work? It should....

I love these little tips and tricks. :)

• Like 1

For those who were following The Sarge's own Sweet Potatoes thread in TheOtherPlace™, here's today's update:

One month to go (local weather conditions mean they don't go in the ground until May 15th - possible overnight frost until about the 10th and a few extra days to be safe).

They're progressing quite nicely:

Ofbg8yJ.jpg

Many have already been pulled from the potatoes and are starting their own root system independent of the potato. This is what we want - they need roots to to into the ground. The rest will be pulled this weekend to give 'em sufficient time to grow roots before May 15th.

s2xtOh7.jpg

Easy Peasy and Happy Gardening

• Like 2