Thoughts on triggers

Still winning

It's been a while since I did a post as I don't ever want to take away from newer quits but I see a lot of triggers going around and some jumping off's. My way of speaking (writing) is to explain my experience and hopefully people can relate, or not and that's good if they can share their experience instead. Makes it much broader.  I also have no intention of saying in one paragraph what can be said in 20, I ramble  :D .

So a trigger is simply your brain remembering "hey, we used to smoke now". I recently bumped a post called the Executive assistant, it's a great read! That's such a powerful realization to know that it is simply a thought and in reality, we have many thoughts within a day, some good some not. So the fact that I and others ran scared of quitting or staying quit (relapse queens take a bow!) was mainly due to the fear that I would always feel that I was missing something - once I found this support I quickly realized the thoughts would fade and it was worth holding on for the peace of mind later. So yes, at times it was uncomfortable mentally, but I never physically hurt, on the contrary, I actually physically started healing, we all do. I still love the stats about recovery times. Only 72 hours to get nicotine out is so fabulous really when you think of it, simply years of stuffing it in there and all gone in 3 days! I digress though. 

It often took me by surprise when a smoking thought would take a hold of my brain, what we refer to as romancing the smoke. I did quickly learn that I could distract my brain quite easily though. if the trigger was simply a thought, another thought could replace it. If the trigger was simply remembering we would smoke here, then a new and healthier habit would soon get rid of the trigger or I could simply answer the thought with "we don't do that anymore". I heard it described as a tool box and I like that analogy. A toolbox of ways to outwit our own thoughts. In any other scenario this might sound like we have a screw loose (Jury's out on some of us!) but actually it's quite sane.  Get a plan of what you will do when you have your triggers and moving past it becomes easier. 

We berate ourselves when we're past the initial couple of weeks for still getting triggers. I wonder why we anticipate we should be over it so quickly? I've read powerful lines like quitting is a journey not an event, that makes sense. A change of season trigger is not nearly the same as week 1 unless you give it lots of head space, so don't do that. If you're finding yourself romancing, talk/post/pm someone, smoking is a lie and it never was the answer to any of life's problems.  Reading up and educating yourself on how addiction works means you start to realize it's all a choice. That's where the answer is on triggers for me. If I "choose" to throw myself off the quit train, I will only have to start again, today or years later with more damage, may as well "get er done" today. I see others who continue to smoke and kid themselves. I've seen that journey on family ahead of me and trust me, it doesn't bear thinking about and I choose not to dwell on others who can't get real about this.

So if ever a smoking thought flits through my mind now, it's easy to bat it away, like swatting a fly out of your face really. No it's nothing like the early thoughts. Actually I'll say that used to really worry me when 5 year veteran quitters said they still thought about smoking! Those people are abstaining, not quitting, there is a strong difference!  The reason I think is I embraced every trigger (holiday/seasonal/milestones) and faced it down. It wasn't always an elegant face down. I still feel like I missed a trick not buying shares in a tissue company! But the triggers do all get faced if you want to be free and it's perfectly reasonable to feel mentally on edge sometimes, non smokers get that! Non smokers have stress without smoking. They go drinking without smoking too, if they choose too.  

"Choice"...isn't life all about choices. Quitting smoking is a good choice. Talking about struggling is another great choice, use the support here. We're here by choice, to help those who want it.

So probably this whole post could have just been - Triggers are just thoughts of we could smoke here. but we don't smoke, so nope.

However my inane drivel is far more fun and has filled your day with love and light I'm sure  :wub:  :D .

• Like 12

I have to say Marti, your thoughts, your posts, your advice really seems to align with my train of thinking. So thank you for sharing. They have been helpful and insightful posts which I'm storing for those trigger moments. 10 days today and the signs are good. I have plenty of daily triggers but my EA is learning and I'll keep rewriting memos. Xx

• Like 3

I have to say Marti, your thoughts, your posts, your advice really seems to align with my train of thinking. So thank you for sharing. They have been helpful and insightful posts which I'm storing for those trigger moments. 10 days today and the signs are good. I have plenty of daily triggers but my EA is learning and I'll keep rewriting memos. Xx

That is absolutely it isn't it. just learning new ways to do the things we must without building smoking into it. We've weaved it into every part and soon enough we weave a new life without it. x

• Like 1

Lovely post Marti, there is certainly a choice in this like everything in life. Choose your pain! The pain of quitting or the pain of what you will do to yourself if you don't. I'm willing to bet that the latter is far worse. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

• Like 1

Thanks Marti. I am in Israel right now. Lots of smokers. Luckily my thoughts when I see them are PU rather than wanting to smoke. The way I see it, any one who is smoking now is going to have to quit. We are already quit and have already gone through the fire. I will never go through that again so no need to have a puff and awaken the demon.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...