Always an ex smoker!

rowlyd

I went to the doctor today and have been told to get some bed rest for a few days and that I have bronchitis. Do you think it's true what they say? That we will always be ex smokers and never cured from our years of smoking...

Today I've got 374 days of no nicotine or smoking and still have the lungs of a smoker. This is not exactly how I hoped to be celebrating 1 year but it's better than the alternative I reckon.

Rowly, I know HEAPS of non smokers and NEVER smokers who have had bad bronchitis, heart problems etc....

"smokers lungs"... other than TAR, what the heck does that mean? did you ASK your doctor?

Didn't HE have any encouraging facts for you? if not, I'd be finding a new GP!!

11 months is FANTASTICALLY AMAZING!!!!!! xox

• Like 1

So sorry you are feeling poorly, Rowly,

but, don't forget your body IS healing

and yes, we will always be 'an ex smoker'.

Addicts are addicts and addition doesn't go away.

Understanding that that helped me a lot

though, understanding came with a lot of kicking and screaming.

We don't have to feed the addiction ever again.

It will fade into the background very gradually, I think,

but we gotta stay on our toes about it.

NOPE...Not One Puff EVER EVER EVER

It is a 'forever' thing.

Huge congratulations to YOU

for a BIG YEAR of Freedom !

Wish you were out having FUN

and hope you will be soon, bebe.

• Like 2

I don't think any of us ever got away with abusing our bodies for so many years, even if it wasn't obvious and if it was obvious we would have made denial excuses

I have a bad chest because I have a cold/flu etc etc

You are coming out of that denial bubble, as an ex smoker your body is still healing, it would be alot worse if you were still smoking

Congratulations on your 1 year I'm sorry you are sick but remember it's only temporary keep the big picture in sight and get well soon

1 year is awesome!!!!!

Firstly, huge congratulations are in order!!

Secondly, hope you get well soon!

I'm not sure if we will ever get our bodies back to completely normal, but at least you aren't making anything worse for starters! I have an app which tells me my health benefits since I stopped smoking. I am now 20.29% of the way towards having the same chance of getting lung cancer as a never-smoker. By my reckoning, it'll be another 8 years before I'm the same as a never-smoker, but that's fine by me - progress is progress, and I never plan to smoke again anyway!

• Like 1

Firstly, huge congratulations are in order!!

Secondly, hope you get well soon!

I'm not sure if we will ever get our bodies back to completely normal, but at least you aren't making anything worse for starters! I have an app which tells me my health benefits since I stopped smoking. I am now 20.29% of the way towards having the same chance of getting lung cancer as a never-smoker. By my reckoning, it'll be another 8 years before I'm the same as a never-smoker, but that's fine by me - progress is progress, and I never plan to smoke again anyway!

This is great news ...your young enough to have a lot of years left with nice clean lungs...

After smokkng the amount of years I did....I don't think I have enough years left....just live out what I do have healthier....

We are NON SMOKERS but still addicted, it only takes ... you know thedrill. Sorry you've got a bronchitis.

I swear to you if you've had been smoking your bronchitis would have been WAY WORSE dude and yes people who quit still get lungcancer (our famous Johan Cruijf), heart problems BUT people who neversmoked too.

People who keep smoking CHOOSE to die terribly, WE CHOOSE to turn the tide and nobody can predict the future but you me and all members fight an effort to change and minimize the effects.

I am bloody proud of you. You did it, One year and EVERYBODY can get a bronchitis, YOU will heal a lot faster then when you were a smoker

• Like 1

I went to the doctor today and have been told to get some bed rest for a few days and that I have bronchitis. Do you think it's true what they say? That we will always be ex smokers and never cured from our years of smoking...

Today I've got 374 days of no nicotine or smoking and still have the lungs of a smoker. This is not exactly how I hoped to be celebrating 1 year but it's better than the alternative I reckon.

My Doc told me it takes about 10 yrs to heal the damage to our lungs from smoking! But we gradually improve throughout that time. Yes we will always be ex-smokers but at least we have progressed to non smokers and we have started healing.

My Doc told me it takes about 10 yrs to heal the damage to our lungs from smoking! But we gradually improve throughout that time. Yes we will always be ex-smokers but at least we have progressed to non smokers and we have started healing.Congratulations on your first year towards curing your lungs.....as Everywhere said you would likely be much sicker were you still smoking. I got the pneumonia shot last year....a once in your life only injection....and I did not get bronchitis leading to pneumonia at all for the first time in a few years.

We will always be ex-smokers. Non- smokers are people that have never smoked, ex-smokers are people who decided enough is enough.

I don't think our body will ever be like people that have never smoked. Even though health is most certainly an issue, the fact that you are free from the daily grind of smoking is well worth it in itself.

Nobody knows what may happen around the corner but statically wise you are in a better percentage than you would be if you were still a smoker.

• Like 1

Just to avoid discouraging newbie quitters, the time needed for physical recovery after quitting is probably different for everyone. I smoked for 14 years, but starter very early (15 year-old) and 500+ days since quitting I feel awesome physically. No coughs whatsoever, mornings are as good as the rest of a day (I thought "I wasn't a morning person"), can walk and run as much as someone who never smoked (and probably more than the general population) etc. 

Sure, I probably damaged my lungs bad enough while my body was still developing that I will never have the same lung capacity as someone who never smoked, but I can live with that. The point is that yes, you most likely can recover and yes - it will get better! It just takes time. The mental side though, well that's another story. I agree we'll always be ex-smokers!