No Matter What, Right?

Ramona

In 4 days I will celebrate my 10 month mark.  I've not had a single puff in these 10 months.  I did not sacrifice a single inhale to death sticks.  Astounding!!!

To quit smoking has been my number one, most important goal.  Nothing has come before it.  I've made it this far because I've made this quit my top priority.  If the choice is between smoking a cigarette OR:

punching myself in the face

slamming my head into walls

running 3 times a day even when my bones ACHE

potentially losing my job

inflicting minor damage to my skin

gaining 20 pounds

arguing and screaming with my boyfriend

asking for help from strangers on this forum

baking bread/cakes every night in 90 degree heat

I choose the latter - - - because the rules remain:

NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF & NOT ONE PUFF EVER.

To apply these hard-fast rules is the only way to break this incredible addiction. 

Quitting is not for everyone.  Undoing a lifelong dependency, undoing a lifelong coping mechanism, proves too difficult for many folks. 

But I will overcome.  I do not want to forfeit my life to submission & servitude.  I will no longer play supplicant to a host of deadly chemicals.

• Like 13

No matter what can literally save lives! 

Great post TEW. It takes a sustained level of commitment to break an addiction that has become so interwoven with your life. Thing is, you will always feel pride at keeping going and it will always be better for you of course. 

• Like 2

great post TEW!  Proud of you.....you really have come a long way and are a prime example of "hang on to that rope..even if you don't see the top"  You hung on....and look at you now!

but please try not to punch yourself in the fact or slam your head against the wall if you can possibly help it :)   (smoking would be 100x worse though)  Do more baking 

• Like 1

On Saturday I went to a party with an Arabian nights theme. They had rented hookahs for the party. I was at a table with two smokers who were puffing away. I thought to have a few puffs thinking that it was not smoking, really, and I even asked whether there was tobacco in the pipe. The hookah rental guy made up some bull and was vague but in the end I knew there was tobacco and thus nicotine in the pipe. I mean what did I think was in there anyway as I knew it wasn't pot. So I noped it. I knew it was nope from the start but even after two years there are events where the demon nicotine calls. Nope is perfect. Very clear on what the choice is.

• Like 6

Thank  you TEW!

As I head off to a day with potential choices...I also choose to  NOPE. even if it means walking off a job, losing my sense of integrity around work, and falling into a heap and crying.

of course things can go the other way too....sailing on noping and all things turning out well with learning, kindness, and easily corrected errors.

~darcy/kendra :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Thank  you TEW!

As I head off to a day with potential choices...I also choose to  NOPE. even if it means walking off a job, losing my sense of integrity around work, and falling into a heap and crying.

of course things can go the other way too....sailing on noping and all things turning out well with learning, kindness, and easily corrected errors.

~darcy/kendra :rolleyes:

Make it be "the other way".