Sending an SOS

GypsyButterfly

I didn't create a pre respond, because, I just saw that today & I'm in the middle of a craving. I have to admit, I had one cig yesterday. I know I should have posted here first. As I had mentioned when I joined, I only smoked a pack or less a week. It more of an indulgence for me. The other day, my voice became hoarse & was fading out. I don't know if it's smoking related, but, I'm sure it can irritate it. It came on suddenly. It wasn't gradual like some things. It would have been nice to have had a warning. I would have stopped then. The craving is partly mental, even more physical. The sensation I get in the middle of my chest which was satisfied after a few puffs. I long to have that relieved. I really want my voice strong again, though. Which is why I'm here & trying to fight it. Thanks for the support.

Having a cigarette will only scratch the itch, not make it go away (eg any relief you get is only temporary)... The only way to overcome these cravings is to stop smoking for good - I can honestly say I probably haven't had a craving for 3 or 4 months at this point; and you can do this too.

We can't say for sure if your voice is caused by smoking, but I think we can all pretty much guarantee that continuing to smoke isn't going to make it any better!

Throw those remaining cigarettes down the toilet and start being smoke free from now on. NOPE!

• Like 3

Having a cigarette will only scratch the itch, not make it go away (eg any relief you get is only temporary)... The only way to overcome these cravings is to stop smoking for good - I can honestly say I probably haven't had a craving for 3 or 4 months at this point; and you can do this too.

We can't say for sure if your voice is caused by smoking, but I think we can all pretty much guarantee that continuing to smoke isn't going to make it any better!

Throw those remaining cigarettes down the toilet and start being smoke free from now on. NOPE!

You're right & I appreciate the reminder. I wish I could have heard you reading that to me. I love British accents. Have since I was a teen. 

It sounds like anxiety mixed with withdrawal.  That feeling in your throat will go away in time.  Is there something else you could do in the meantime when this feeling comes over you?  Try some sugar free candy, drink a cold glass of water....whatever you like as a way to take your mind off it. Cravings pass if you let them and as time goes on they cease all together.  I would not have believed that before I quit but its true!  There is only one way to stop that feeling from happening forever and that is to stop smoking. Every time you reintroduce nicotine you start over in the process.  You can do this!  Make a plan so when this happens again you are ready.

• Like 1

Sorry I have only just seen this. Action is completely right if you want to stop craving for a cigarette, to not have to think about cigarettes for months and months the only way is forward!

All you did was satisfied yourself until you put that cigarette out and then the cravings will have got a bit stronger again. If you think of your addiction as having a toddler screaming in your head, imagine a child screaming that they want a toy or a chocolate bar. Now if they were really preforming you wouldn't just give in and let them have it, otherwise they would do I again and again. Every time you feed this little bugger he will get stronger.

I know someone that tried to quit for two years straight but kept having one every so often a so technically by having that one fag was putting herself back on day one all the time, it wasn't until she stuck with the nope rule, then she got pass her 8 week hurdle, she is nearly 2 years quit now.

The only one that gets anything out of having one is your addiction, not you, if you pull yourself through several months you will start to see smoking for the illusion it is.

• Like 1

Where does it say one a week. Or one a year? It only works if you follow all four words.

You are playing with fire and gasoline. Not some kids toy. This shit will kill. Don't think you can nip on it. It's heroin. Step away. Put the lighter down and step back slow.

Go visit a chemotherapy unit if you don't believe me.

• Like 5

It sounds like anxiety mixed with withdrawal.  That feeling in your throat will go away in time.  Is there something else you could do in the meantime when this feeling comes over you?  Try some sugar free candy, drink a cold glass of water....whatever you like as a way to take your mind off it. Cravings pass if you let them and as time goes on they cease all together.  I would not have believed that before I quit but its true!  There is only one way to stop that feeling from happening forever and that is to stop smoking. Every time you reintroduce nicotine you start over in the process.  You can do this!  Make a plan so when this happens again you are ready.

Thanks, Jenny. I do need to make a plan. Find something that relaxes me which isn't harmful. I have diverse interests, so, I should be able to come up with something.

Where does it say one a week. Or one a year? It only works if you follow all four words.

You are playing with fire and gasoline. Not some kids toy. This shit will kill. Don't think you can nip on it. It's heroin. Step away. Put the lighter down and step back slow.

Go visit a chemotherapy unit if you don't believe me.

Bakon and I bust balls but he is 100% right. Him and his family, been there done that. NOPE PERIOD!
  • Like 1

Sorry I have only just seen this. Action is completely right if you want to stop craving for a cigarette, to not have to think about cigarettes for months and months the only way is forward!

All you did was satisfied yourself until you put that cigarette out and then the cravings will have got a bit stronger again. If you think of your addiction as having a toddler screaming in your head, imagine a child screaming that they want a toy or a chocolate bar. Now if they were really preforming you wouldn't just give in and let them have it, otherwise they would do I again and again. Every time you feed this little bugger he will get stronger.

I know someone that tried to quit for two years straight but kept having one every so often a so technically by having that one fag was putting herself back on day one all the time, it wasn't until she stuck with the nope rule, then she got pass her 8 week hurdle, she is nearly 2 years quit now.

The only one that gets anything out of having one is your addiction, not you, if you pull yourself through several months you will start to see smoking for the illusion it is.

Hi, Sunny. The logical side of me knows you're right & have to stick to that & not give into the more emotional aspect.

I do need to make a plan.

No.

You don't.

There is no special plan.

There is one-and-only-one course of action.

Do not smoke.

Ever.

For any reason.

"No battle plan survives contact with the enemy." -- Helmuth von Moltke.

Easy Peasy

• Like 1

When we do our daily nope...it's a promise we make to ourselves and all our quit buddies here we will not smoke that day...

I still go back to a saying here...Smoking is not on the table.....

My brain took this in....no matter what I'm feeling....no matter what crap is happening....no matter how I'm craving...

Smoking is not allowed

Having one now and again is keeping that nico monster alive and feeding....

The only way to kill it...is to cut off his supply...

Keep your seat here...buckle up ..don't ,get off till you reach FREEDOM....

• Like 1

One crave at a time. Each time you fight back, that you Nope the nicodemon, he dies just a little bit. If you smoke, you are only giving him life support and he lives on. One day, soon, he will be gone. I used to picture a nicodemon and me fighting him off. I won. ........hane you read The Easy Way To Quit Smoking by Mr. Carr? It is an easy read but it really helped me alot. I read it during my first week as a tool

You post an Sos after you smoked?

You crave cause you smoked. Not smoking will stop the craving.

NOT ONE PUFF EVER

no discussion possible no matter what

Hi, Evelyn. True, I did it after. I see it, as, I could not have requested help at all. Posting this last night, I now I have something to refer to, to keep me going. 

When we do our daily nope...it's a promise we make to ourselves and all our quit buddies here we will not smoke that day...

I still go back to a saying here...Smoking is not on the table.....

My brain took this in....no matter what I'm feeling....no matter what crap is happening....no matter how I'm craving...

Smoking is not allowed

Having one now and again is keeping that nico monster alive and feeding....

The only way to kill it...is to cut off his supply...

Keep your seat here...buckle up ..don't ,get off till you reach FREEDOM....

Thanks, Doreen. Words to contemplate. Especially about, no matter what crap is happening. There's been various kinds the past five years. It's gotten better & there is finally some ray of hope. I need to find other ways to relax & feel comforted. Smoking has been my go to thing for awhile.

One crave at a time. Each time you fight back, that you Nope the nicodemon, he dies just a little bit. If you smoke, you are only giving him life support and he lives on. One day, soon, he will be gone. I used to picture a nicodemon and me fighting him off. I won. ........hane you read The Easy Way To Quit Smoking by Mr. Carr? It is an easy read but it really helped me alot. I read it during my first week as a tool

Hi, Beacon. No, I haven't read that. I'm guessing it's posted here? I'll have to read it. I like how you visualized yourself fighting the demon off. Physically being able to punch something would help me as well. Get out some of that stress. I'll try not to hit another person. Though, sometimes, I truly want to.