A Little Intro

Hi, everyone. I'm married to my best friend & soulmate. We've been together 18 years. We don't have any kids of our own, but, I am a stepmom to two adults--40 & 33. I didn't have a hand in raising them. We've fostered briefly & hope to do more. Perhaps, adopting. We do have one kitty. I'm a virtual assistant from home.

I enjoy reading, movies, music, baking, taking long drives, history, technology, politics, walking, watching sports, dining out, thrift/discount shops, the theater, online forums/social sites, dancing, pen-palling, etc.

I started smoking five years ago. I know most people begin much earlier in life. I like the aroma of certain cigarettes. I was only planning to burn them (like incense) just to be able to smell them. I decided to try one & have been smoking since. I smoke a pack or less a week. It's more of an indulgence. I also found I'm a stress smoker. Even so, I still keep it casual.

The reason I'm here is, because, the past few days my voice has been raspy & cutting in & out. Before that, it was a bit sore. As I do customer service & am the sole provider (my husband is a disabled vet working on getting his benefits), I can't lose my voice or have it permanently changed. As much I enjoy smoking & how it relaxes me, I need to stop. I look forward to making new friends & the support. 

• Like 3

Welcome aboard GB....

glad you found us....read all you can here...there is plenty....

We have a daily nope.....it's our daily promise we will not smoke that day.....

Stay close to the board....and post often....

Ask us anything...we are here to support you all the way....

• Like 1

We all have our particular relationship to the drug.  We're all addicted.  And we all want to stop for varying reasons.  You have come to the right place.  Sometimes the more "mellow" smokers have a harder time because they don't see their addiction as being "like those real smokers."  Don't be fooled...addiction is addiction.  Welcome aboard.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard GB....

glad you found us....read all you can here...there is plenty....

We have a daily nope.....it's our daily promise we will not smoke that day.....

Stay close to the board....and post often....

Ask us anything...we are here to support you all the way....

Hi, Doreen. I do like to read, learn & be involved. This will be one of my regular stops. Gypsy

We all have our particular relationship to the drug.  We're all addicted.  And we all want to stop for varying reasons.  You have come to the right place.  Sometimes the more "mellow" smokers have a harder time because they don't see their addiction as being "like those real smokers."  Don't be fooled...addiction is addiction.  Welcome aboard.

Hi, Teary. The past five years have been difficult for my husband & myself. Not so much our relationship. Mainly other life changing events & health issues. I need to find something else which can relieve the stress. Fortunately, none of the people I'm close to smoke & I try not to smoke when others are around. There won't be those temptations, at least. Gypsy

Welcome, Gypsy!  Smoking doesn't relieve stress, it causes it.  Whether it's a pack a week or a pack a day, it's too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVEyGdqwjmQ

I Smoke Because I Like Smoking

Video discusses how people who often say the smoke because they like smoking can come to realize that they really smoke because they don't like not smoking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCkt_ajgTQE

Welcome, Gypsy!  Smoking doesn't relieve stress, it causes it.  Whether it's a pack a week or a pack a day, it's too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVEyGdqwjmQ

I Smoke Because I Like Smoking

Video discusses how people who often say the smoke because they like smoking can come to realize that they really smoke because they don't like not smoking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCkt_ajgTQE

Hi, MQ. It's probably more psychological, but, I really felt relaxed when I smoked. As much as I enjoyed it, I can't have it damaging my health in any way. Which is why I'm here. 

I can read fancy font. Too small on mobile app. Plus not smart enough

Hi, Bakon. It's Comic Sans MS. It's one of the basic fonts available. I've been using it for 15 years. I wasn't sure if you meant your phone isn't smart enough or you're not. If it's the former, possibly. If it's the latter, probably not. I used the default in my reply to you. 

• Like 1

Hey GB - welcome and congrats on a great decision. As the others have said - read up and stay close .... Quitting smoking is so doable :-)

Ps - I have trouble reading your font on my iPad as well :-)

• Like 1

Hey GB - welcome and congrats on a great decision. As the others have said - read up and stay close .... Quitting smoking is so doable :-)

Ps - I have trouble reading your font on my iPad as well :-)

Hi, Pippa. I was using that font, before, there were all of these devices. It's my trademark, I guess you could say. I also use to have it in purple (my favorite color), but, thought some might have difficulty with that. Default is so dull, lol & I'm a free spirit. Ah well, maybe I'll have to make my mark some other way. 

• Like 1

Hi GB! It's amazing what some information on what is really going on when it comes to smoking will do for resolve, I read a lot here! Hope you read info and chat, it's so helpful. Here's to being smoke free. :)

Hi, NI. We're also near one of the, many, fires. Not much we can do about that. But, I can stop smoking. Gypsy

glad you're here GypsyButterfly.

How's your quit going?

What ideas do you have for new ways to relieve stress?

I am a big ...breathe, repeat,.... fan myself.    cloud watching and breathing....

• Like 1

glad you're here GypsyButterfly.

How's your quit going?

What ideas do you have for new ways to relieve stress?

I am a big ...breathe, repeat,.... fan myself.    cloud watching and breathing....

Hi, Kendra. It's going ok. I just want my voice back. Praying, my husband's hugs, my favorite songs that lift my spirits, all were helpful in the past, maybe they will be again. Right now, I'm jonesing for a cig.

• Like 1

Good Day GB,

Hope you found your way through the jones last night.

Remember..... smoking really doesn't relieve stress.....just feeds the nicomonster that gives the illusion of stress relief....until later when it must be fed again.

Sucks when the things that usually bring comfort aren't.  ((hugs)) 

Whart did you laugh about last night? Today?

real laughter=great stress relief for me.

you got this.... stay close please.

• Like 1

Yeah, unfortunately you will have to jones a little in the beginning, and from time to time. Just keep going and don't look back, you'll probably start to notice things improving pretty quickly.

Hi, B. It was easy to go a day or two (sometimes longer) without it, when I knew I could smoke as much as I wanted, whenever I wanted. Now that I'm trying to quit, it seems I think about it more. 

Good Day GB,

Hope you found your way through the jones last night.

Remember..... smoking really doesn't relieve stress.....just feeds the nicomonster that gives the illusion of stress relief....until later when it must be fed again.

Sucks when the things that usually bring comfort aren't.  ((hugs)) 

Whart did you laugh about last night? Today?

real laughter=great stress relief for me.

you got this.... stay close please.

Hi, Kendra. My husband makes me laugh. The past few years have been especially difficult. Health issues for both (though, most are things we've been experiencing for years) & life changing events, including, unstable living situations for awhile. For a time, it was just a matter of survival. Things have improved, a little, but, still far from stable. Frustration, stress & depression are frequent visitors.