Easy Quit ...Basics and hints

bakon

Want the easy way, the way all the quitters in here used...well Quit train has no official method to quit smoking. Some cold turkey, some with help from doctors. BUT

We all used some prime ideas to help the quitter move forward and not wallow we focus and help each other. These basic principal include education in nicotine addiction, NOPE, the daily pledge, SOS, posting for a year and paying it forward.

Second to these prime ideas are suggestions for getting over the sticky spots or just getting motivated in the new life. Fitness, nutrition, social and psychological help. I would like to have the group write on these ideas one at a time. If you need to repeat a previous idea then by all means add your expertise in that area and add to the knowledge base.

I feel we may lose members with prime and important thoughts and their knowledge leaves with them when we part.

The pimp recently has been posting regularly and it reminded me of how he was such a calming voice, or Sgt with his straight shooting.

So pick an idea you believe helped you personally and explain to a newbie what it means

• Like 2

NOPE

Not One Puff Ever.

Without ever lighting up again I was never going to be able to have just one and screw up another quit. It was simple to say and I said it 50 times a minute first few days. After day 3 I used it for urges. It worked

And it still with me along with "a puff away from a pack a day". One puff and I would be back to where I was, and where I was is wishing I didn't smoke anymore...which ironically is here....solid in my quit

• Like 2

Smoking is not on the table....

My brain took this in....I get it now....

No matter what came along....what I had to face.....I knew smoking was not a part of the solution...

Also having a group of folks who were doing it...and telling me I can do it....made me believe I could too....

• Like 5

-Education, without a doubt. Even when I was triggered the knowledge made me remember I didn't want to smoke anymore.

-Nope shuffle - quick and effective. Looked like a nutter but whatever works right :)

-A mantra - For Milly and I (Milly is my eldest daughter who had asked me to quit, yes I did it for me but when I would have struggled to hold on for me, I could always hold on for her. I had failed too many quits and had promised to make myself accountable in the end, glad it worked!)

-Crystals, I had a palm stone and necklace of dalmation jasper, I wore the necklace and carried the palm stone everywhere with me and if I needed help, I touched them for support.

-Quit date, I set my quit date with my champix and a support forum in line with a full moon - because it signifies endings to me and I wanted out so badly. Might sound odd to some but I believed in it and what you believe carries strength :)

-SOS - I did swear I would use it and when crunch time came, use it I did!

-Smoking buddy, pick another crazy ex smoker to offer mutual support.

-Smoking is not on the table - I could do literally anything else, which was quite a lot.

-Non smokers suffer stress and don't need to smoke - that was quite a revelation, and yet so obvious. 

-New habits release old habits - triggered in the car, set up a new habit of a cough sweet every time I got in, smoking trigger  gone pretty quickly.

-Endorphins - understanding smoking released them but in a unhealthy way, so did exercise which was much healthier as a choice. Understanding was crucial.

-Hearing others say it would pass and that it was a phase - such a relief! (and so so true! it ended up being a quit on blind faith and trust at times)

-Emotional release. I thank the gods that people here told me crying was ok. I cried/ran/walked by water or in the woods/meditated...all just to get out of the funk I could put myself in.

-Blog, writing it down, often just to get it out of my head and release it but also to track my journey and provide more accountability.

I used loads of techniques. I think I tried everything that everyone suggested. That nope shuffle tho, it saved my early quit a billion times so sending a thanks into the ether to Bassman. x

• Like 6

have sex....either with a partner or alone...

You get a healthy does of dopamine, endorphins and oxytocin. 

Yes...sex is an addiction in itself...but that's for another message board...lol..here we conquer smoking.  Whatever it takes!  :music:

• Like 9

A smoker must WANT to quit for him/her SELF!!!

Not for family....

Not for money....

But to be FREE!!!

FREE to LIVE!!!

FREE of all that smoking entails!

To be rid of the smoking "CHAINS" that restrict us from living a FRESH, HONEST, RELAXED, CLEAN, FULL life!!!

It doesn't matter what others think!!! or say!! or feel!!! It's how WE "speak" to ourselves that's important!!

What 'others' think or say isn't in the least bit important!!!

"you can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time"....

WE MUST DO IT FOR OURSELVES!!

• Like 8

It really helped me when I learned that a true physical crave only lasts 3-5 minutes.  I knew I could take anything for that long. And keeping busy is huge.

I also learned that even though I wasn't taking smoke breaks, I needed to take breaks.  A quick walk outside, or checking in here helped.

And I agree, Not One Puff Ever is key, and taking the NOPE pledge.  Once I pledged for the day, I knew I would not break my word.

• Like 6

Thank you Bakon for starting this and all who are contributing.

I look forward to the various topics Bakon listed and hearign the ideas and ways of the folks here and how it workd for various people.

I have over a month smoke free. :unsure: :D 

this last week has been the toughest so far for me. Hearing Sarge from a thread saying there don't have to be hellish days, so I  just flip it to challenge accepted days.  Thus, challegne accepted... now I seek grace and integrity in meeting my challenge, because my attitudes and actions have been less trhan who I desire to BE....living FREE.

reading and rereading threads here and watching Joel videos when I have acces to internet.

do not wish to be a downer each time I post or to spew my drama and stuggles....seeking safe place to be genuine, authentic about what happens and how I am meeting the challenges.   Grateful , grateful, grateful to the people here for their dedication, words, kindness and reaching out.  Thanks, it means a lot to see and "hear"  peoples words, kindnesses, encouragments and care.

Things that have been and contnue to be great FREE from smoking:

• :)  daily schedule not dictated by smoking times
  • :wub: do not reek or taste of smoke when kissing
  • :D  lungs aren't aching constantly....breathing feels 'fuller'....calming quicker when deep breathing
  • :) not supporting big tobacco in killing people, not killing myself
  • :P actually demonstrating self care, love, kindness.... choosing to treat myself as I would any other being
  • :) practing and understanding the mindfulness concepts.....watching as feelings change without needing to change them...and holding self with compassion as they flow through.

Thank you again Bakon. 

Can't wait to read more.

• Like 6

Rewards. Have to reward yourself because nobody else will. Even a spouse won't realize how much work is involved if they are not a smoker or have quit a long time ago. So don't be offended. Just buy the item for yourself.

First two weeks get something small daily. A magazine or hair brush. Something you want but don't need. Keep cost close to what you were saving by not smoking. Tell yourself "this is for not smoking, you deserve it" a desert or lip stick. Who cares just spoil yourself with an object. At two weeks and a month buy something bigger. Some clothes, the pimp got a valore jacket and the nickname, or some fresh floor mats. A tool or exercise shoes. Splurge and enjoy that you earned it. Then at two months repeat. At six buy something costing more than 100 bucks. And repeat when you feel need. At year go out for dinner and treat yourself like a birthday. You earned all of it. It's not a gift it's a reward.

• Like 4

Rewards. Have to reward yourself because nobody else will. Even a spouse won't realize how much work is involved if they are not a smoker or have quit a long time ago. So don't be offended. Just buy the item for yourself.

First two weeks get something small daily. A magazine or hair brush. Something you want but don't need. Keep cost close to what you were saving by not smoking. Tell yourself "this is for not smoking, you deserve it" a desert or lip stick. Who cares just spoil yourself with an object. At two weeks and a month buy something bigger. Some clothes, the pimp got a valore jacket and the nickname, or some fresh floor mats. A tool or exercise shoes. Splurge and enjoy that you earned it. Then at two months repeat. At six buy something costing more than 100 bucks. And repeat when you feel need. At year go out for dinner and treat yourself like a birthday. You earned all of it. It's not a gift it's a reward.

Ha! I reckon I've been doing this, Bakon!! Just last 'pay' decided that this week, the 'savings' and 'bills' accounts will start! (never had them before) and from this pay on, I will put $50 into each, and every 3 months after utilities and car reg are paid, the balance will go into the savings!!!! PLUS! each fortnight, I get to spend $50 on whatever I want!!!!

SO true, to "treat ourselves, because we're worth it"... (L'Oreal, right?)

PS... all the other 'bills' are taken out DD... Internet, Mob, insurances etc

• Like 1

Save enough money to get a dog and chase away the boxshitter too...

I was hoping one of the girls or Sgt would post some exercise or eating improvements that helped...

Or some thoughts on Daily pledge (which I never did, but post enoughwithout to say I am here..)

• Like 1

Save enough money to get a dog and chase away the boxshitter too...

I was hoping one of the girls or Sgt would post some exercise or eating improvements that helped...

Or some thoughts on Daily pledge (which I never did, but post enoughwithout to say I am here..)

???????? :huh: ???????

A basic premise here is the cat is good for nothing. In fact nothing is better because nothing doesn't leave behind little packets of poop in a box somewhere in your house. Dogs take it outside but cats like to play with it in a box then walk on your tables, counters , and pillows. God invented cats for no reason just like the English invented driving on the left. No purpose. But back to smoking hints. Walking. Start walking the day you quit. Helps you feel those lungs heal.

• Like 2

I discovered qi gong....

It's much more gentle and slower than yoga....it calmed me down totally....

my old bones were not good with yoga....this is perfect if you suffer with osteoporosis....and other aches and pains....

Plus swimming...I took to the water again after years and years ....

Very gentle lengths....

• Like 4

A basic premise here is the cat is good for nothing. In fact nothing is better because nothing doesn't leave behind little packets of poop in a box somewhere in your house. Dogs take it outside but cats like to play with it in a box then walk on your tables, counters , and pillows. God invented cats for no reason just like the English invented driving on the left. No purpose. But back to smoking hints. Walking. Start walking the day you quit. Helps you feel those lungs heal.

Awwwww.....

I walk every day, anyway!

• Like 1

Exactly....look at urges and pains of quiting as good things. Body telling you it likes whats going on and wants to quit. Mind set is MOST important part of quit. If it is painful and slow in your head, guess how long and much harder the quit is?

But embrace the suck, put your head down and march forward. After a while the march gets easier. Don't even have to look where your going, head down and push if needed, but soon feet are moving and your not thinking about it, then it gets easier and easier. Soon your moving downhill. Feet just need lifed and foot is pulled forward by downhill gravity. Sing cadence if needed!!

• Like 2

It's only quitting.

Millions of folks around the world successfully do it every year.

Don't make it out to be more than it is.

It's only quitting, right?

Easy Peasy

EXACTLY!!!

• 3 years later...
On 8/17/2015 at 11:09 PM, sgt.barney said:

It's only quitting.

Millions of folks around the world successfully do it every year.

Don't make it out to be more than it is.

It's only quitting, right?

Easy Peasy

Sarge's words rang loud and true.

'Don't make it out to be more than it is'

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 10:57 AM, Sazerac said:

Sarge's words rang loud and true.

'Don't make it out to be more than it is'

As Sarge approaches his 7th year he wishes to reiterate:
It's only quitting, folks. 
It ain't the end of the world. 
It ain't even the end of your life. 
It's only the end of your smoking. 
Hardly an inconvenience and totes worth it. 

EZPZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1