The "Just One" Monster

MichelleDoesntSmoke

There is positively no such thing as "just one"....that's what ruins quits!  You are in the hardest part, just take deep breaths, yell scream, eat, do whatever you want...just don't smoke.  You already took the pledge today, so you will have to wait until tomorrow...when you will take the pledge, again.

I just bumped a post for you in Quit Smoking Discussions...hope it helps!!

Hang  in there...one moment at a time, if necessary!!

• Like 2

Hey Michelle,

The just one monster tried to get me this past week. It gets easier to tell that jerk where to go as your quit grows stronger. You can do this just stick with nope.

I think that's what people who "attempt" to quit misunderstand....it's not just Quit it...and that's it.  Even 3 years later it comes...but the strength of it is weak...and it's like a fly buzzing around and I just swat it away.  However if you keep giving in to the damn monster....it remains strong with each "quit" which is what frustrates chronic relapsers.  Stick to NOPE...HAVE FAITH AND TRUST in the people who have some time under out belts....blind faith.  That is what I did.  I told them people who guided me....."if you are wrong I will find you all...and give you a good whooping"  haha;...but instead...I thanked them...and if I could have...would have hugged them.

Keep going strong Michelle...one day at a time!  It's the only way to weaken the monster..and strengthen your quit.  Every day...every crave you conquer makes you stronger.  Like going to the gym for your quit.  :)

hang in there

• Like 4

Ah, the petulant mewlings of the lizard brain, seductive in its stupidity. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious - you're actually asking us to "remind" you of something you already know perfectly well: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ONE. 1=ALL, and you know it. You just wish it wasn't true, or rather your lizard wishes this, and is trying to trick you into thinking you do too. Don't believe it. In time that ridiculous reptile will die with hardly a whisper... but first you have to starve it.

Try this thought experiment: what would happen if you just did nothing. Just sat there, letting the cravings and twisted thoughts wash over you and dissipate, tasting them and then letting go? I found that depersonalizing the experience and observing myself was a strangely helpful activity, and kind of interesting, in a morbid sort of way. Anyway, it takes about 5 minutes to smoke a cigarette, and the crave will recede in about that amount of time regardless. So may as well ride it out and see what happens.

Repeat as required.

• Like 4

Try this thought experiment: what would happen if you just did nothing. Just sat there, letting the cravings and twisted thoughts wash over you and dissipate, tasting them and then letting go? I found that depersonalizing the experience and observing myself was a strangely helpful activity

I did the same thing and it worked.  I also called bulls**t on the self-induced thought drama dancing in my head...that worked better.  Whatever it takes.

• Like 2

I think that's what people who "attempt" to quit misunderstand....it's not just Quit it...and that's it.  Even 3 years later it comes...but the strength of it is weak...and it's like a fly buzzing around and I just swat it away.  However if you keep giving in to the damn monster....it remains strong with each "quit" which is what frustrates chronic relapsers.  Stick to NOPE...HAVE FAITH AND TRUST in the people who have some time under out belts....blind faith.  That is what I did.  I told them people who guided me....."if you are wrong I will find you all...and give you a good whooping"  haha;...but instead...I thanked them...and if I could have...would have hugged them.

Keep going strong Michelle...one day at a time!  It's the only way to weaken the monster..and strengthen your quit.  Every day...every crave you conquer makes you stronger.  Like going to the gym for your quit.  :)

hang in there

LOVE IT!!

Michelle, we all know that feeling... I'm probably too late for a beneficial reply, but 'here's to you' for the post!! xox

• Like 3

Good luck Michelle! 

Just focus on not giving up.  Don't think about the future or the day you can join the non-smokers because the smoker in you doesn't care about the paradise called freedom when a craving hits.  You want to embody a non-smoker when you make the pledge, think like a non-smoker, behave like a non-smoker and truly believe that one puff isn't an option and DEFEND your quit.

The suffering is rough but a cigarette is only a short term solution to a long-term problem.  We all want to help you throw the ciggies but you need to do the hard yards yourself!

• Like 2

Good luck Michelle! 

Just focus on not giving up.  Don't think about the future or the day you can join the non-smokers because the smoker in you doesn't care about the paradise called freedom when a craving hits.  You want to embody a non-smoker when you make the pledge, think like a non-smoker, behave like a non-smoker and truly believe that one puff isn't an option and DEFEND your quit.

The suffering is rough but a cigarette is only a short term solution to a long-term problem.  We all want to help you throw the ciggies but you need to do the hard yards yourself!

Brilliant.

You know that feeling you get when you wake up knowing you didn't cave yesterday?  THAT feeling!!  Harness it and remember it.  It will help you during those dark moments.  Whatever it takes, use all the tricks you can get.

Ah, the petulant mewlings of the lizard brain, seductive in its stupidity. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious - you're actually asking us to "remind" you of something you already know perfectly well: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ONE. 1=ALL, and you know it. You just wish it wasn't true, or rather your lizard wishes this, and is trying to trick you into thinking you do too. Don't believe it. In time that ridiculous reptile will die with hardly a whisper... but first you have to starve it.

Try this thought experiment: what would happen if you just did nothing. Just sat there, letting the cravings and twisted thoughts wash over you and dissipate, tasting them and then letting go? I found that depersonalizing the experience and observing myself was a strangely helpful activity, and kind of interesting, in a morbid sort of way. Anyway, it takes about 5 minutes to smoke a cigarette, and the crave will recede in about that amount of time regardless. So may as well ride it out and see what happens.

Repeat as required.

hang in there

This. ALL of this.
  • Like 1