12 days and feeling bummed

dirty130

Hey guys, 

So...I've not smoked for 12 days now!  I still think about smoking regularly but I don't consider it an option anymore thanks to you guys.  The problem is that I feel so flat now... I literally don't even want to talk to or hang out with my girlfriend, the thought of taking phone calls makes me anxious and I just don't feel like the same person at work.  I barely sleep either so that's probably why.  The good news is that I've saved about $200 though which really feels good. Does anyone know if this is a normal part of a quit?  I feel stupid posting this but I'm really worried.

Cheers..

• Like 2

Hey guys, 

So...I've not smoked for 12 days now!  I still think about smoking regularly but I don't consider it an option anymore thanks to you guys.  The problem is that I feel so flat now... I literally don't even want to talk to or hang out with my girlfriend, the thought of taking phone calls makes me anxious and I just don't feel like the same person at work.  I barely sleep either so that's probably why.  The good news is that I've saved about $200 though which really feels good. Does anyone know if this is a normal part of a quit?  I feel stupid posting this but I'm really worried.

Cheers..

Perfectly normal (in my experience) It's all part of the quit, push through it and your brain will find other ways to find stimulation - give it a few options to choose from. You're doing great. 

• Like 1

Don't fall for the trick that your mind is playing on you. You're a non smoker now. So live it, love it, NOPE it.

Smile brother, it will all work itself out and you will love yourself for dropping that nasty habit  ;)

• Like 1

Oh yes ...been there ....

After smoking through 5 decades my body went berserk...

I kept on telling myself every day...whatever im feeling I won't smoke....

Folks told me it would pass.....and it did....slowly things got better....

Your body is going through some dramic changes....would the magic will happen....

Hey guys, 

Cheers..

As others have said...perfectly normal.  Make sure you are having juice or a snack every couple of hours, quitting wreaks havoc with blood sugar levels.  Also, as Colleen suggested, you might try some exercise.  This, too, shall pass

Firstly, D130, try not to feel 'stupid' about ANYthing you're feeling/posting.. xox

Secondly, there's no such thing as "normal"... there's no normal marriage, there's no normal child, there's no normal anything IMO!!

It's either acceptable or not acceptable to you or the other person.....

SO... having said that.... smoking was a relationship!! We had a relationship with cigis.. for each of us, the relationship was different!

Some smoked 25 every other day... some only at weekends... some 100 each day...

For each of us, there was a strong 'bond' there... or else we wouldn't have done it for so long!

Sadly, we even mourn BAD relationships!!! It's true! it was part of us.. part of our regular routine.. it (often) RULED our lives in SO many ways... and now it's gone!!!

Of COURSE we're going to have days we miss it!!! We wouldn't be human if we didn't...

From my experience, the less we 'dwell' on the frustration of "loss" the better! Have a couple of days 'mourning' then that's it!  It is what it is... we left them because they were TOXIC... make no mistake! and 'going back' would be ROOOLY stoopid! LOL!!!!

It will get better, hour by hour, day by day, week by week, and FILL the time wisely!!! ;) Strolling along an esplanade is SO therapeutic! Don't forget the earbuds with your favourite music blasting!!!!

12 DAYS!!! that's HUGE!!!!

oh, and you're in Oz!! :wub:

• Like 3

Hi D130 - congrats on a fantastic 12 days :-). Those first few weeks can be tough while your body adjusts but hang in there - it will get better and the benefits are worth the short term pain :-). In the interim , keep busy, I found exercise really worked for me and read up plus remember to stay close - we are all here to support you :-)

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I think I just really need to sleep, too. Yes I think I will always mourn cigarettes to be honest. I've been finding other things to do like going to the gym, playing unreasonable amounts of video games, taking extra shifts at work. Thanks for the replies and I hope everyone else is feeling good about their quit. Amazing that ciggies had this much influence over my emotions and body, I'm glad that I can take on life as a non-smoker now. :)

• Like 2

I had to learn to do everything without my crutch...I was like a toddler learning all about life...

I had smoked all my life...so even doing the simple things without that ciggy reward was a way of life I had to get used too...

But slowly it got easier..now..I can do all of those things..with out even thinking of them...

You have a great quit going...keep surging forward...

• Like 1

Ah, cranky, irratible, completely hacked off with all forms of life in the immediate vicinity you say...Hey did you quit smoking and you haven't slept in forever and sleeps for poxy wimps anyway right?  :D . Congratulations and I mean MASSIVE congratulations on your quit!!

So let's ditch the smoking thought for one moment, yes you will get that soon. Imagine I told you of a fella, who in a few short weeks, definately months had changed his entire life. I mean he was literally fighting for freedom with his bare hands but more so with strategic mental ability, he literally had to think his way around every obstacle he faced and it was full on at times. Every day he'd wake (kinda) charged and ready for a battlefield. Every now and then in the battle he'd accidently cut a few folks down in their path but as they'd already explained things were busy and hectic those people knew to move out the way quicker next time. This person was literally fighting for their life and before he knew where he was the rules changed and battle changed dynamics.

Ok you see where I'm going with this. I've got too much time on my hands today when I should be doing other things but sometimes this is a battle and my goodness it's exhausting. The trick is to remember the free flow times when it feels easy in comparison and realize that it's not all hard work, some is totally exhilerating!

Now young fella me lad. I see a post inbetween where you will always mourn smoking.  I want to add a sobering fact here. We are addicts you and I, and we are addicted to nicotine. The good side of this is no you actually won't mourn smoking, I promise you that actually, you will in fact end up deeply relieved to have found yourself and be free of an addiction that could well have cut your life short and indeed killed you. Sound intense?? It is my friend, it is a massive and wonderful gift you are giving yourself and you may well wobble but just don't fall down ok. You have indeed made the right choice, the only sane choice in reality. It will be ok if you calm it down and don't overthink it. Take each day as it comes, after all that's all we have anyway isn't it and NOPE is your buddy.

You should always post by the way. We want to help you, we genuinely do and that's why we hang out here. Not only that, you just never know who's reading and too scared to even try. I read a quit forum for days before quitting and getting the guts up to post and it was other peoples genuine posts that spurred me on most. Ok to post the great stuff, ok to post the negative stuff too because we all learn and take something from it or move on if we have nothing to add. All good!

Congrats on a great quit :) xx

• Like 3

I really do appreciate the support and yeah Marti you are right about those free flow times!  Maybe I need to revel in them more often but sometimes I stop and feel a sense of relief that I don't need to stress about how many smokes are left in my pocket, whether I have enough money in my account to supply my habit for the rest of the week and when I can stay under my blanket at night instead of feeling compelled to dive out into the hellish cold to suck on a cancer stick.  You're right that it was the only sane choice.

It's been 2 weeks now and I feel great so it must of just been a really bad day when I posted this. :P 

• Like 3

Dirty

You THINK you mourn smoking

You don't. Your body never wanted to smoke in the first place.

Stick with it - you will begin to mourn for the days you smoked when you did not need to. Its all a massive con mate. Always was.

Mood swings and stuff - they will pass soon enough. You have been living life in shades of dirty yellow and murky gray. Life is actually in glorious technicolour and you are going to restart experiencing it that way - let the good times roll!

You are doing great....

• Like 1

It's been 2 weeks now and I feel great so it must of just been a really bad day when I posted this. :P

Remember this.  The next time you have a bad day and think smoking will fix it, remember the awful feeling/thinking will pass and you'll feel great tomorrow.  

• Like 1