MIA no more

NayNay

Hi all!  I know I've been MIA lately, and so sorry about that.  Got very very busy after the new year, and well one thing led to another and here we are, halfway through another year!

I've hit my 1 year quit anniversary, and am working on my 2nd year now.  I do have to say I absolutely feel much better without being a smoker, but lately for some reason I'm dreaming that I'm smoking and when awake, sometimes a strong urge hits me.  I of course do not give in to the urges or anything, but I didn't think it would do that after a full year.  Is that normal?

Well, getting ready to head home from work right now, but just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone.

All you new people, stay smoke-free.  You will NOT regret your decision to quit smoking.  I'm here, I survived quitting and trust me, I never thought I would.

Hugs to all!  

Be back later!

• Like 10

Hi all!  I know I've been MIA lately, and so sorry about that.  Got very very busy after the new year, and well one thing led to another and here we are, halfway through another year!

I've hit my 1 year quit anniversary, and am working on my 2nd year now.  I do have to say I absolutely feel much better without being a smoker, but lately for some reason I'm dreaming that I'm smoking and when awake, sometimes a strong urge hits me.  I of course do not give in to the urges or anything, but I didn't think it would do that after a full year.  Is that normal?

Well, getting ready to head home from work right now, but just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone.

All you new people, stay smoke-free.  You will NOT regret your decision to quit smoking.  I'm here, I survived quitting and trust me, I never thought I would.

Hugs to all!  

Be back later!

anim_group_hug_smiley.gifMissed you so much!   Welcome back!!

No one has yet answered your question about if it is normal to have strong urges after a year. I am presently only 5 months quit and don't feel fully qualified to answer you on this. However, as someone who (years ago) gave up a seven year quit, I would say that yes, the urge hit me back then after seven smoke free years, and I gave in. It has taken me a long time to start up another serious quit, and I guess now I am facing the fact that there will be times when the urge may be strong. I don't think this urge comes out of nowhere. It could be that a bit of "romancing smoking" has been going on under the radar...or there is a lot of stress...or maybe boredom...or other negative emotions that need to be heard. I have been having smoking dreams lately, which was initially disturbing, but according to Joel, perfectly normal.

Since you are just a little ways beyond the one year mark, maybe your guard was down a bit, and and lo and behold, that addicted part of your brain was back to haunt you, and to test how serious you are with your quit.

When everything gets too dramatic and serious for me in my quit (which is a bit too often) I try to lighten up, and treat myself more gently. I actually try to go back to how I treated myself the first month or two. I try to reduce stress where I can, drink more water, get more sleep.

Smoking is not the answer but our brain got stupidly programmed to believe this, and thousands of cigarettes reinforced the idea. But this isn't our new normal. As you wrote, the new normal of not smoking is wonderful.

As for the smoker's dreams...I have dreams about all kinds of crazy stuff...but I don't wake up and think I am going to consciously do stuff that happened in my dreams. Since I watched Joel's video on smoker's dreams, and accepted them as normal and no cause for alarm...I haven't had any more...

Thank you for your honest post. It has reminded me that 6-months or 1-year isn't the true goal. The goal is here and now...on this path...in the present. I am doing month 5 to 6 and you month 13 to 14...but essentially we are in the same time and space...as nonsmokers...beautifully free, and full of moxie~ so, Congrats!

• Like 4

CPK... the darn site won't let me quote your post in my reply....

but it's SO similar to my thoughts! Starting again after a LONG quit...??? what's will that?? I still bag myself at times...

and yes!! recently my Vista lappy died/got sick/crashed/froze whatever, and I've been spending HOURS with some

nice chappies online various geek forums... (becoming one myself I suspect) anyway.... after ages and cross eyed,

lately I've been craving like mad!!

HOW STOOPID am I???  I KNOW it's not the physical... never was with me.... it's ALL mental.... THAT is what gets us back

after long quits... as you posted so eloquently, "romance smoking".... isn't that the truth!???

I was a smoker the MAJORITY of my life.... 48+ out of 64 years!!! (on and off, sicknesses, pregnancies etc)

It's ODD not smoking.... the annoying thing is, during my quit in 2005, I don't remember EVER craving...!!! Until that 'romantic trigger'....

It's been 2 weeks for this time, and most days I'm as happy as larry, as the saying goes... but every now and then.... :help:

Lovely to 'meet' you, NayNay! :)

• Like 1

Hey Nay Nay. Welcome Back.

I still have my moments - where unbidden a prompt to smoke comes along, even now. I guess that 30 years of training myself to smoke is not going to completely disappear in 12 months. I kind of like the odd thought, as they remind me to think through the pros and cons of smoking. Still can't find a pro. ;)

Good to have you back.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts and feelings on the "smoking" dreams.  I for sure will never give in to them, but just thought they were odd after so long...But to hear that they are totally normal eases my mind as well.  

I'm so happy to hear from all the newbies, and so happy to be welcomed back by all of my dear friends.  

Life is so much better without smoking.  I'm not missing out nearly on all the stuff I was by having to excuse myself to go have a cigarette anymore.  I don't miss the stink, the mess, the cravings, none of it.  Now when I smell someone smoking, I feel sorry for that person for being controlled by the addiction.  I have been seeing some new commercials about smoking lately and I gotta tell you, some of them are pretty darn scary!  

I can honestly say that I am not disappointed one bit in the whole experience of quitting.  I thought for sure it would be the hardest thing I'd ever have to do in my life, but it wasn't.  Giving up carbs was much harder (and still is) than quitting.  

To all those who lurk or are new, please know that you will never regret the decision to quit smoking and break the addiction to the nicotine.  It will be the absolute greatest choice you make in your life.

• Like 1

CPK... the darn site won't let me quote your post in my reply....

but it's SO similar to my thoughts! Starting again after a LONG quit...??? what's will that?? I still bag myself at times...

and yes!! recently my Vista lappy died/got sick/crashed/froze whatever, and I've been spending HOURS with some

nice chappies online various geek forums... (becoming one myself I suspect) anyway.... after ages and cross eyed,

lately I've been craving like mad!!

HOW STOOPID am I???  I KNOW it's not the physical... never was with me.... it's ALL mental.... THAT is what gets us back

after long quits... as you posted so eloquently, "romance smoking".... isn't that the truth!???

I was a smoker the MAJORITY of my life.... 48+ out of 64 years!!! (on and off, sicknesses, pregnancies etc)

It's ODD not smoking.... the annoying thing is, during my quit in 2005, I don't remember EVER craving...!!! Until that 'romantic trigger'....

It's been 2 weeks for this time, and most days I'm as happy as larry, as the saying goes... but every now and then.... :help:

Lovely to 'meet' you, NayNay! :)

My 7 year quit was years ago, as I said in my comment. This recent quit is unlike any other because it's my sticky quit. I don't really have physical or mental cravings. I don't want to smoke. I hate the smell. However, I did have a lot of anxiety from month 2 through month 4. I am now at month 5 and getting a handle on the anxiety. I don't expect I will have cravings as strong as I did when I gave up the 7 year quit, because Quit Train has thoroughly educated me in a new way. Hang in there, and post a lot. I think that is key. The Quit Train peeps have really helped me through many a rough time.