Anxiety Antidote

cpk

It has taken me awhile to figure out that the anxiety I have been experiencing since week 6 of my quit (now in week 15) is not directly related to quitting.

Not smoking is the peaceful part of my life.

The anxiety was there before I quit. I probably used smoking to try to keep the anxiety in check. I don't recall having "anxiety attacks" when I smoked.

I have opted to use natural supplements, which are helping. This weekend I picked up a workbook on using DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) to quell anxiety through cognitive and emotional restructuring --- that is, simply put, training my mind to not be anxious. I need to reprogram the software in my brain.

I had gotten in the habit of being anxious. I now need to learn how to do life in a new way.

I know that people sometimes relapse because they find they are more anxious not smoking and feel they can't cope. They think it is because they miss smoking. This was me in the past, before I joined QT and got educated. I never even considered that my anxiety had nothing to do with quitting smoking.  I used smoking to try to calm myself, but that probably made everything worse! I certainly felt like a physical wreck, and it's pretty hard to cope when you have smoking related headaches, respiratory distress, fatigue and a host of other physical problems. Now I have none of these physical problems.

The good people on this site prodded me a bit to look closer, and to observe what was going on with my life. That is the beauty of QT...that quitters know the journey of self-discovery takes time and patience. (I especially remember Tracey suggesting this in a very gentle way.)

I was a little bummed out to realize this state of being anxious was something lurking beneath my smoking addiction. However, accepting that this is something I have to work on is far better than endlessly relapsing, which is very bad for self confidence.

Strength to strength. I think I read that somewhere on this site. That's how I see the non smoking journey. Moving forward, growing, and evolving. Saying n.o.p.e. is the first step.

Lurkers who may be reading this...there is great HOPE --- and the promise that you will never again have to experience a disappointing relapse.

I know I was like many...feeling scared to try to quit again, just thinking it would end in relapse.

There is a way...to never, never, never relapse again, and to forever embrace the freedom of not smoking. The way can be found right here, right now, on QT.

QT helped me to see I never again have to think about relapse because I have the skills now to be a nonsmoker for life. I have freedom from smoking forever.

• Like 3

Every quit journey is so personal to the person taking it.  However I believe a number of us had to find a new way to be as part of the process, for you this sadly involves managing anxiety but you will be stronger placed to do this with your new found strength. 

xx

• Like 2

Yes, Marti, you are so right. The skills I learned in quitting smoking will help me resolve the issues around anxiety. It's better to learn a new way "to be" instead of trying to "medicate" the problem away. It's just something that was there all along. Without the education and insights offered on QT I would never have seen it, confronted it, and pledged to do something about it.

Anxiety is a beast that nicotine can only feed, not tame.  There is a certain amount of anxiety when someone first quits (levels can vary from person to person) but that is coming from the fear of the unknown and withdrawal.  If anxiety/panic was present before quitting, it's going to be there after as well.  This is a fascinating topic because the nature of anxiety can come from so many different places but the anxiety and panic is real, very real. 

No matter what, there is help.  That's the good news.  Now the other good news is that quitting smoking gets rid of an entire host of anxiety issues all created by smoking.  There is no bad news.  :) 

• Like 1

Anxiety is a beast that nicotine can only feed, not tame.  There is a certain amount of anxiety when someone first quits (levels can vary from person to person) but that is coming from the fear of the unknown and withdrawal.  If anxiety/panic was present before quitting, it's going to be there after as well.  This is a fascinating topic because the nature of anxiety can come from so many different places but the anxiety and panic is real, very real. 

No matter what, there is help.  That's the good news.  Now the other good news is that quitting smoking gets rid of an entire host of anxiety issues all created by smoking.  There is no bad news.  :)

That's why I wanted to make sure to say the anxiety after 6 weeks...because I knew it wasn't from triggers or withdrawal. It was something in place that smoking masked. I also want to add, because I don't think I really made it very clear, that smoking was so physically stressful that was its own anxiety. As each physical symptom is relieved there is tremendous relief. My quit is new so I have time to keep exploring this. Who knows how this picture will look six months from now? Or a year? That's kind of the exciting part. So far, the promise that "It gets better," has held true. No more chest tightness, headaches, fatigue, sore throat, cough, blurry vision, aching joints, problems breathing, allergies, bronchial pain, and I could go on. An impressive list. Let the healing continue. :)

• Like 1