Comfort

A lot of us turned to cigarettes for (false) comfort. That was one of the things that terrified me before I quit, 'how would I make it through the day without them'?

What are some things you guys use instead now?

I like YouTube guided meditations. Tons to chose from.

• Like 2

Not trying to be a smarta$$ here. I want to hear responses. The reality is I don't have much comfort.

I just finished watching a video interview of three NHL GM's, after their GM meetings in Florida. Besides the interesting information they shared about their jobs and responsibilities, what had stood out, was their responses, to the question by the interviewer, on how they deal with all the stress of 24/7 positions.

I was thinking of my situation, as I was walking back to the computer in relation to their responses, and here is this thread. Oh joy, I'm going on too much again, but their responses were:

1) Healthy family relationships.

2) They all work out, not just for the physical benefits, but more to "shut off their minds", and relieve stress.

3) Surround themselves with "good" people, and delegate responsibilities.

4) They rely on each other for mentorship and friendship.

5) Recognize that they are not going to please "everyone", and to stay focused at what is important in their lives, and keep it front and center in their minds, as they go about their days.

6) They talked a lot about things being a process. Some things, get done quickly and some take much longer, and some they have to accept, isn't going to be the way they want it to be.

7) *Edit*. On further reflection, I realized, I missed listing the *most* important one. Two of the three added, they didn't bother with, what other people that weren't "in the know", thought or said about them and their decisions.

I'll listen now.

• Like 2

I think that the key here is to find an activity where you can "shut your mind off".  Usually that means something that you are really passionate about.

I remember when I played golf regularly it was very relaxing. The reason is that all through the game I was thinking about golf. After the drive and walking down the fairway I was thinking about the lie, the wind, the distance to the water hazard, whether I should go around the dogleg or try to cut across it, etc, etc. Oh, and once in a while I would pause to admire the beautiful grass and trees, point out a rabbit running for the bushes, hope we could finish 18 before the rain started, etc. etc. In other words, I was so absorbed in the game that I didn't think of any of my problems or concerns for the whole 3 hours. That is why golf is so good at relieving stress. 

I don't golf any more for various reasons. Now I use various creative interests to relieve stress--cooking, gardening, painting and drawing, dancing, things like that. So I suggest that you think about things you do where you "lose track of time" -- video games? fixing classic cars? perfecting your pool game? Any activity is OK. Just get yourself to do it frequently. 

• Like 2

Oh Lordie, must I say it??? The binky. (pacifier, dummy, and what

do the Scots call it?) It has zero calories, and the only thing lost

is a bit of dignity. This from the internet: "In the 1970's researchers

dispelled the notion that pacifiers were psychologically unhealthy

and aberrant." So there! Boom!

Update: The pacifier is not a good idea except for the first few days

when it's better than breaking down and smoking. My dangerous day

was always Day 4, and the binky helped me past the hump. However,

continued occasional use caused one of my front teeth to get loose

so I threw away the binky. Time to grow up and get mint gum!

cooking  

Made MQ's recipe ~~~ chicken with lots of ginger root and pepper. It rocks. It was his cold medicine recipe for larks (who has man cold?)

but I found it helps because I have a tight feeling in my lungs a lot (still a newbie)...thank goodness I've detached from the

huge plates of pasta I was consuming first month of quit. Like your photo, babs. Doesn't look like you are consuming large plates

of pasta! Thumbs up!

• Like 1

playing my guitar is a nice, relaxing activity where I get lost for hours

I'm afraid of playing badly. Like, who's listening? It's SO stupid. I mean, was I "good" at smoking? So warped. This post inspires me. Thanks.

I used all sorts early days, multiple things like physically switching from foot to foot, water, lots of food, distraction, meditation etc. Then I found breathing deeply, in for 4 outfor 4 until it passed.  I still use that for stress now without thinking about it, auto pilot to deep breaths. Was my biggest win for coping. 

• Like 1

I have a horse stuffed animal. Got it at one month quit. I also still use the binky. (pacifier) --- obviously trying to find that time in my life before I smoked. Haha.

I want to add, Jenny mentioned (really cold) ice water, and when I read that awhile ago it sounded so good. So I tried it, and it's become a mainstay. Don't know why it works...but it does. Thanks, Jenny!

Also, I want a sweater with a zebra head like Ava!

I have a horse stuffed animal. Got it at one month quit. I also still use the binky. (pacifier) --- obviously trying to find that time in my life before I smoked. Haha.

I want to add, somewhere on this site Jenny mentioned (really cold) ice water, and it sounded so good. So I tried it, and it's become a mainstay. Don't know why it works...but it does.

Also, I want a sweater with a zebra head like Ava.

Target clearance $6!

• Like 1