MarylandQuitter

Tobacco Wars Documentary - Episodes 1, 2 & 3

Are you sitting on the fence ????....are you Lurking ...watch these videos...and then jump on the Train...

• Like 1

Watching the Tobacco Wars gave me the power to quit, (along with the patch).  I had to change my emotion towards cigarettes, and Tobacco Wars gave me the ability to hate smoking.  I still watch it frequently.  Best viewing on the internet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watching these totally changed my whole outlook on smoking ...it was my light bulb moment ....

I got mad...that I had been fooled all my life ..and fell into the trap they were hoping I would ...

Every smoker should watch these Documentaries...

Need this in front page ...for anyone who hasn't watched them ...it was a life changer for me ...

Watched all three parts, what an eye opener!!! I still find myself trying to adjust mentally as an ex-smoker. Definitely an addictive product. Documentary doesn't touch on NRT and e-cigarettes though...i suppose because it was released a long time ago (1999). Maybe it needs a sequel. This is one documentary that everyone should watch (smoker/non-smoker/ex-smoker/never-smoker doesn't matter)

1 hour ago, Ankush said:

Watched all three parts, what an eye opener!!! I still find myself trying to adjust mentally as an ex-smoker. Definitely an addictive product. Documentary doesn't touch on NRT and e-cigarettes though...i suppose because it was released a long time ago (1999). Maybe it needs a sequel. This is one documentary that everyone should watch (smoker/non-smoker/ex-smoker/never-smoker doesn't matter)

@Ankush I'm glad the documentaries helped you. 

What is helping me right now is NRT. Whilst I appreciate that being nicotine free is the goal I don't agree with you that NRT is up there with cigarettes and e-cigarettes.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Lilly said:

@Ankush I'm glad the documentaries helped you. 

What is helping me right now is NRT. Whilst I appreciate that being nicotine free is the goal I don't agree with you that NRT is up there with cigarettes and e-cigarettes.

23 minutes ago, Lilly said:

@Lilly I've had a similar discussion on the forums regarding NRT before. NRT doesn't solve the problem with Nicotine addiction. It just shifts the focus from one source to another. Using NRT may have other side effects as well. The problem is that Nicotine is the addictive drug, it just doesn't matter which source it comes from. Compared to NRT, probably the only benefit, as far as I know, is that harmful tar (in the case of regular cigarettes) and chemicals released as vapor from the liquid (used in e-cigarettes), are not being inhaled. From what I've learnt, Nicotine as a stand-alone drug comes with its own health hazards. NRT may help some and may not help others. It depends from person to person. I am glad that NRT has helped you stay away from the more harmful cigarettes and e-cigarettes. I do hope that one day you will be completely Nicotine free.

P.S. - I hope you weren't offended by my mention of NRT in my previous comment. If so, I am sorry.

Edited by Ankush

Posted (edited)

To be honest I wasn't offended by your original post but I would be lying if I said I wasn't by your response above. 

I was feeling pretty proud of myself but some views on here regarding NRT bring me down. 

For the record I don't feel that I'm trading one addiction for another. I feel I'm walking across a bridge where I left cigarettes behind me, when I get to the end of the bridge I step onto nicotine free land. 

I want to celebrate and brag about my quit but those types of comments just make me feel deflated. 

Edited by Lilly

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Lilly said:

To be honest I wasn't offended by your original post but I would be lying if I said I wasn't by your response above. 

I was feeling pretty proud of myself but some views on here regarding NRT bring me down. 

For the record I don't feel that I'm trading one addiction for another. I feel I'm walking across a bridge where I left cigarettes behind me, when I get to the end of the bridge I step onto nicotine free land. 

I want to celebrate and brag about my quit but those types of comments just make me feel deflated. 

@Lilly I am sorry you were offended. I was just laying it out as it is, that Nicotine is an addictive drug no matter what the source is. If NRT has helped you stay off cigarettes (which are more harmful then regular cigarettes themselves), then that's a good thing. I did say that I hope you will be Nicotine free one fine day and you said you are on your way to a Nicotine-free land, so my thinking is that we are on the same page with the fact that we both hope that you will be Nicotine free one day and I wish you the best for the same. :) I know staying off cigarettes takes a lot of effort and time and considerable strength as well and I wasn't undermining your effort and time spent in staying smoke free in any way. Its an achievement to stay off cigarettes and I am happy for you.

Edited by Ankush

On 4/18/2019 at 12:36 PM, Lilly said:

Lilly,

I will quit with Wellbutrin XL, another mod quit using NRT so you're in pretty good company.  :)  The goal is to get off of nicotine as quickly as possible and for some, that involves the temporary use of NRT.  Keep going!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lots of people use quit aids, including NRT products to help them quit. There's no shame in that. What ever you need to do to stop smoking and works for you is fine. Providing you have a good idea of how long you should be using the quit aid then follow that plan. Purging your body of nicotine doesn't take long. It's the mental adjustment to no longer smoking that  that requires more time. 

• Like 2

All roads lead to Rome ....just get yourself there ....nicotine free.....

NRT ...can be a great aid to some ...as long as it is used as it is intended....

Some folk take the quick route...some take the slower route ....getting to Rome is what we are  all aiming for ...

To enjoy our lives Nicotine Free...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MarylandQuitter said:

Lilly,

I will quit with Wellbutrin XL, another mod quit using NRT so you're in pretty good company.  :)  The goal is to get off of nicotine as quickly as possible and for some, that involves the temporary use of NRT.  Keep going!! 

Thank you for this MQ. 

• Like 2

On 4/26/2019 at 6:48 AM, reciprocity said:

It's the mental adjustment to no longer smoking that  that requires more time

I agree that the mental adjustment does take time.

• Like 1