Tobacco Wars Documentary - Episodes 1, 2 & 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Watching the Tobacco Wars gave me the power to quit, (along with the patch).  I had to change my emotion towards cigarettes, and Tobacco Wars gave me the ability to hate smoking.  I still watch it frequently.  Best viewing on the internet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watching these totally changed my whole outlook on smoking ...it was my light bulb moment ....

I got mad...that I had been fooled all my life ..and fell into the trap they were hoping I would ...

Every smoker should watch these Documentaries...

• 1 month later...

Watched all three parts, what an eye opener!!! I still find myself trying to adjust mentally as an ex-smoker. Definitely an addictive product. Documentary doesn't touch on NRT and e-cigarettes though...i suppose because it was released a long time ago (1999). Maybe it needs a sequel. This is one documentary that everyone should watch (smoker/non-smoker/ex-smoker/never-smoker doesn't matter)

1 hour ago, Ankush said:

Watched all three parts, what an eye opener!!! I still find myself trying to adjust mentally as an ex-smoker. Definitely an addictive product. Documentary doesn't touch on NRT and e-cigarettes though...i suppose because it was released a long time ago (1999). Maybe it needs a sequel. This is one documentary that everyone should watch (smoker/non-smoker/ex-smoker/never-smoker doesn't matter)

@Ankush I'm glad the documentaries helped you. 

What is helping me right now is NRT. Whilst I appreciate that being nicotine free is the goal I don't agree with you that NRT is up there with cigarettes and e-cigarettes.

23 minutes ago, Lilly said:

@Ankush I'm glad the documentaries helped you. 

What is helping me right now is NRT. Whilst I appreciate that being nicotine free is the goal I don't agree with you that NRT is up there with cigarettes and e-cigarettes.

23 minutes ago, Lilly said:

@Lilly I've had a similar discussion on the forums regarding NRT before. NRT doesn't solve the problem with Nicotine addiction. It just shifts the focus from one source to another. Using NRT may have other side effects as well. The problem is that Nicotine is the addictive drug, it just doesn't matter which source it comes from. Compared to NRT, probably the only benefit, as far as I know, is that harmful tar (in the case of regular cigarettes) and chemicals released as vapor from the liquid (used in e-cigarettes), are not being inhaled. From what I've learnt, Nicotine as a stand-alone drug comes with its own health hazards. NRT may help some and may not help others. It depends from person to person. I am glad that NRT has helped you stay away from the more harmful cigarettes and e-cigarettes. I do hope that one day you will be completely Nicotine free.

P.S. - I hope you weren't offended by my mention of NRT in my previous comment. If so, I am sorry.

Edited by Ankush

To be honest I wasn't offended by your original post but I would be lying if I said I wasn't by your response above. 

I was feeling pretty proud of myself but some views on here regarding NRT bring me down. 

For the record I don't feel that I'm trading one addiction for another. I feel I'm walking across a bridge where I left cigarettes behind me, when I get to the end of the bridge I step onto nicotine free land. 

I want to celebrate and brag about my quit but those types of comments just make me feel deflated. 

Edited by Lilly

13 minutes ago, Lilly said:

To be honest I wasn't offended by your original post but I would be lying if I said I wasn't by your response above. 

I was feeling pretty proud of myself but some views on here regarding NRT bring me down. 

For the record I don't feel that I'm trading one addiction for another. I feel I'm walking across a bridge where I left cigarettes behind me, when I get to the end of the bridge I step onto nicotine free land. 

I want to celebrate and brag about my quit but those types of comments just make me feel deflated. 

@Lilly I am sorry you were offended. I was just laying it out as it is, that Nicotine is an addictive drug no matter what the source is. If NRT has helped you stay off cigarettes (which are more harmful then regular cigarettes themselves), then that's a good thing. I did say that I hope you will be Nicotine free one fine day and you said you are on your way to a Nicotine-free land, so my thinking is that we are on the same page with the fact that we both hope that you will be Nicotine free one day and I wish you the best for the same. :) I know staying off cigarettes takes a lot of effort and time and considerable strength as well and I wasn't undermining your effort and time spent in staying smoke free in any way. Its an achievement to stay off cigarettes and I am happy for you.

Edited by Ankush
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 12:36 PM, Lilly said:

Lilly,

I will quit with Wellbutrin XL, another mod quit using NRT so you're in pretty good company.  :)  The goal is to get off of nicotine as quickly as possible and for some, that involves the temporary use of NRT.  Keep going!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lots of people use quit aids, including NRT products to help them quit. There's no shame in that. What ever you need to do to stop smoking and works for you is fine. Providing you have a good idea of how long you should be using the quit aid then follow that plan. Purging your body of nicotine doesn't take long. It's the mental adjustment to no longer smoking that  that requires more time. 

• Like 3

All roads lead to Rome ....just get yourself there ....nicotine free.....

NRT ...can be a great aid to some ...as long as it is used as it is intended....

Some folk take the quick route...some take the slower route ....getting to Rome is what we are  all aiming for ...

To enjoy our lives Nicotine Free...

• Like 3

23 hours ago, MarylandQuitter said:

Lilly,

I will quit with Wellbutrin XL, another mod quit using NRT so you're in pretty good company.  :)  The goal is to get off of nicotine as quickly as possible and for some, that involves the temporary use of NRT.  Keep going!! 

Thank you for this MQ. 

• Like 3

Newbies ....

If you haven't watched these....I strongly suggest you take the time to see them .

They changed my total outlook of cigerette,s......

Talk about a wake up call...Watching these documentaries made me hate smoking ....

I wish I had seen them much earlier in my 52  year Smoking Career....

These and the support here ...helped me out smoking behind me .....

Hoping it does the same for you ....!!😀

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

I am truly angered by the blind eye the government has portrayed to this topic (Smoking) from the very beginning, I came upon this site searching for a way to hide the fact that I smoke from my Doctors testing before surgery, with a solid sickening feeling of guilt, but I am confused with the guilt being how bad I've treated myself, or the fact that I want to hide it, making me feel like a child not wanting to admit my wrong doing, even though legally what I am doing is okay, but definitely doing myself wrong, watching a video on here has mad me seriously think how I got to this point in life, I am 49 years of age and started smoking when I was 14, never a heavy smoker, always smoked lights because the strong was too much for me and I felt I didn't really want more even though it was way too much from the get go, I could go all day through school with out any and when I started working I also could go all day with out any, I was in my early 20's when Illinois became a smoke free state, when they didn't allow indoor smoking in restaurants and any federal buildings and hospitals, its weird now to think I actually smoked while lying in a hospital bed after having a miscarriage when I was about 18, this new law did not discourage me at all, it just meant that my smoking was gonna be limited, so not a bad thing, but I do remember some people I knew being mad, and also when the price slowly went up every year, I'm sure you all heard people say when it gets up to $3 I'm gonna quit, and maybe some did but I never did. I always smoked in my car and in my home, I watched my parents quit who smoked a whole lot more than I did, but when I tried to quit a few times when I got older I found that it was difficult, and asked myself why if my parents could quit being heavy smokers why I could not so easily, I chalked it up to I wasn't trying hard enough or that maybe I really didn't want to, I have heard a lot of quotes like, you have to want to, or pray to God, a fear I had was gaining weight, ugh. When I met my husband now, he smoked but not in his cars or his home, I respectd this and did the same, which also limited my smoking some more, so now when I try to quit knowing I dont do it that much, why cant I say no? well that brings me to believe its not the amount at all, its the fact its in there and its a habit I must keep feeding, sad. My quit date is the 13th of this month and I am quite literally failing, the Doctors assistant handling my surgery appointments has told me 1 week prior to my surgery thinking i had time to quit that theyre postponing my surgery because of the nicotine found in my blood panels, I had not a cigarette in 4 days prior, i tried to reason with her and she insisted a quit for a month then call them back, just like that, this upset me so bad i caved the next day and bought a pack of cigarettes, still pacing myself and trying to quit, knowing I was or am causing further pain and anxiety, my weeness is not being able to get through the urges, gaining weight being depressed, losing hope and no energy, this set back is causing prooblems at home financially and my marriage is changing in a way I dont like.

Any support or suggestions may help.

Thank you

Susan

13 minutes ago, susan said:

knowing I dont do it that much, why cant I say no? well that brings me to believe its not the amount at all, its the fact its in there and its a habit I must keep feeding, sad. My quit date is the 13th of this month and I am quite literally

You can't say no because you're addicted to it @susan, we all are. That's why we're here. That is the hardest thing to accept but once I did my quit got easier.

I'm glad you're ready to take back your life and we have a great group of quitters from all over the world to support and encourage you.

Welcome to quittrain😊

Edited by jillar
  • Like 2

Hi Susan ....

Your brain is addicted to Nicotine whether you smoke 20 or one a day ....

Anyone can quit ....you just need the knowledge and the tools to do so...

On the Main Discussion Smoking Board...you will find tons of great information to help you along ..

You have to want to quit ,more than you want to smoke ...It's doable ...

There is a train full of people who say you can do it ...

Edited by Doreensfree
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, susan said:

was or am causing further pain and anxiety, my weeness is not being able to get through the urges, gaining weight being depressed, losing hope and no energy,

Drinking plenty of cold water and fruit juice will help get you through those craves. I only drank 100% cranberry juice the first couple of weeks because of the sugars. After that I only drank water. I couldn’t(and still can’t) handle caffeine after I quit smoking. It triggers some really bad depression and anxiety episodes for me now. And this is the only downside to my having quit smoking. I loved my coffee, Coca-Cola, and chocolate. Maybe you are the same. Cut way back on your caffeine to test it. Also, I’m a size 8. I’ve been a size 8 since my 30’s. I didn’t gain any weight while or after quitting. I maintained the same diet and exercise regimen  I’ve always had. I did take quite a few short and brisk walks during the initial stage of my quit. To be clear, I used the nicotine patches to aid my quit. I have suffered from depression and anxiety almost my whole life and I knew that I could not survive a cold turkey quit. It was still a rough go. I also now know that I only have one quit in me. I don’t have another quit in me. I’ve discovered that my smoking was masking the severity of my issues. It was a long time getting my emotional state balanced but I’m there now. I will not give it back up for anything. I very rarely think of smoking now. I never want to smoke. They’re just brief ‘I used to smoke…’ thoughts. I’m soon to be 8 months quit! I never thought that I actually could quit. But I did! It wasn’t easy. It was ugly. The hardest thing I’ve ever done. It became easier when I realized I had been huddled under my blankets in the fetal position crying and having some real loop de loo conversations with myself for three days of hard withdrawal just like any other addict of any other drug. An addict. That’s me. This realization broke the chains for me. I will not allow nicotine to bind me again. Also, the more time you spend on here the easier it will be for you. The help you need is here. Read all that you can. Watch the videos. Play some games and document your quit. It will help you and others. Welcome aboard and I’m looking forward to following your quit! 🤗

• Like 4

Ahhh, thank you so much for that, I really need to hear that I will survive, a lot, in order for me to have some hope, my husband is also very supportive of me, I am so happy to hear that you're succeeding, so I will definitely take  your advice. Best of luck to you in the future, I cant wait to brag that I am a non smoker.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...